Line to leader system?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Fincutter, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Fincutter

Fincutter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Independence
    In recent years, I've gravitated toward smaller reels and solid spectra to flouro with an FG knot just off my reels. I've had excellent results with this on my 8 day variety trips but I'm gonna be on some BFT trips this year (starting 10 days from now on the Pacific Queen) and that's got me thinking about my no-stretch system.

The things I like about my current system are flexibility, easy casting (no line memory and no knot on the reel), easy swimming bait, and maintaining line capacity on my smaller reels.

On a few of my bigger setups, I've used hollow/loop-to-loop (still short top shots) but I'm starting to question the extra $$$ that entails.

Please share any ideas you may have about mono top shots and balancing the stretch benefits against the benefits of my current system.

Thanks!

BTW, in most cases, my reels are spooled with 65# solid. But my bigger reels all have hollow that ranges from 80-130#.

2. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    ALL my rigs from 30# to 130# are set up with the FG using both mono and FC leaders.... IMO there is no down side using the FG......if you want more stretch use a longer topshot.....why do you think you will have more stretch using a loop to loop?

3. Fincutter

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Independence
    Thanks. Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that I'd get more stretch with loop to loop. My biggest concerns with the introduction of mono is that I hate giving up line capacity, I don't like having a knot on the reel (unless it's loop to loop), and . . . biggest of all, I don't completely trust knots that tie mono to flouro. That said, I'm thinking that I'll give up 30 yds of spectra on a few of my reels so that I'll have the option of adding 30 feet of mono.

Fishybuzz likes this.
  4. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    I have never had a "lack of stretch" issue fishing short 15' top shots and a FG knot while fishing cow YFT..... the 7'6" rail rods I use have light tip section which provides good shock absorption to prevent pulled hooks and knot failures....

larry dickson, Olddog8, 998R and 5 others like this.
  5. Fincutter

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Independence
    Is that 15' of mono or flouro?

6. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    either......flouro stretches almost as much as mono.....lots of times I will fish mono instead because of conditions....I do not not tie a FC leader onto mono...either straight mono or straight Flouro....

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  7. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    Same here

Chicago Pete likes this.
  8. ReelDealAngler-

ReelDealAngler- Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    IMO the FG is the best connection if you are winding the connection back onto your reel with a longer leader or top shot. It is very slim, the tag end of the leader can be covered with half hitches of braid main line and I also put a drop of Pilobond on the tag end and roll it for a smooth tag end that basically has little to no potential for damaging your main line as it rolls over it under high tension via a fish or a line winder.

G

larry dickson and ZZZZZ like this.
  9. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    Using sato crimp system or fg. I would want the connection wound onto the spool a few turns. Because those connections do not hold up the spool and they do not back fire going through the guides while casting. I think that length gives enough shock absorption and allows a high performance hand selected bait to perform good

30-50# fluoro to spectra uni-uni for mid grade bft. The connection is just outside the reel. So the uni-uni connection tag ends don't interrupt the flow of the spool while lobbing or over hand casting a belly hooked bait. Already going to get a few connection back fires going through the guides.

I guess I need to go fg for lower diameters

A all graphite rod with a super fast shut down. For me is kinda sketchy on the shock absorbtion factor with a short top shot. Not allot of room for error or when the rod needs to be put in awkward directions to get out of a tangle. I do prefer a longer top shot then just outside the reel. I'm going fg

Hybred rods are really nice for short top shots. Those super seeker root beer rods are sick and the phynix hybred rods. Never even caught a fish on a root beer seeker. But pulling on them with a human those are good short top shot rods.

I like the tuna to throb the rod. On the up and down. Not bottom out but throbbing

Btw: Recently witnessed over 10 mono-fluoro connections break. Over 9 days of party boat bft feeeshin. With 30-50# line. I dont think any money was saved from not going all fluoro ;)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  10. Mike Nall

Mike Nall Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Boomer
    Boat:
    Any one that floats.
    I like a wee bit of mono for “stretch” in pro-longed battles. Less chance of that smaller hook pulling 4 feet from gaff on lighter line.

11. wahoodad

wahoodad Yaddah X3

Name:
    Choate
    Boat:
    Highliner
    I have no idea why this is taken as the standard: FC does not stretch.
    Pete Haynes years ago before FC really gained popularity proved it stretches the same as mono.
    But if you guys want one more knot or connection, knock yourselves out!
    I've been fishing fairly short FC leaders for over 20 years, big fish, small fish, it doesn't matter.
    I'm not seeing any pulled hooks or lost fish.

12. Trophy Tackle

Trophy Tackle Trophy Tackle Advertiser

Name:
    TFT
    Boat:
    Steel Ones
    Seaguar Premier, Prospec, Top Knot stretch like mono.

Premier is amazing how far it stretches.

Olddog8, harddrive, Bill W and 5 others like this.
  13. etwizard

etwizard Member

Name:
    solomon
    Boat:
    Free 4 All
    I’m seeing lots of talk about skittish BF tuna. I saw a bunch out it not four weeks ago. The guys doing well were fishing #40-50 spectra, mostly all white with 30-50# flouro, small hooks, 2/0-4/0. The flouro was either clear or pink. I won’t get into brands. You could not horse these fish in. You need to take your time with the right measured drag. They bit on 2/0-4/0 circles. Some bait hooks as well.

14. ReelDealAngler-

ReelDealAngler- Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    Other than 200lb mono leader for the kite or 200lb mono leader on large flat falls for large BFT... I haven't used mono in over 12+ years! Solid braid to 5-25 feet of fluoro is the way I rig 98% of my LR outfits. IMO, fluoro has better abrasion resistance, its "stealthier", it sinks out better, it stretches just fine, but it is more expensive (overall its just a small part of the total cost of LR fishing which is not an inexpensive sport and the price of admission continues to rise).

G

15. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    This season there's been a lot of pulled hooks on these tough bluefin, so many have gone to adding mono as a shock leader.

But after fishing the bluefin, landing some and losing more, I believe that the problem isn't a short floro leader so much as the small hooks that we are using. Its another example of a common trade-off: lighter line and smaller hooks get bit better, but make fighting the fish harder.

I'd bet that if we were fishing horse 8" sardines and were using 4/0 hooks we'd have a lot less pulled hooks, without changing the length of our topshots.

terryc., egarratt, Olddog8 and 7 others like this.
  16. AZlongrange

AZlongrange Newbie

Name:
    Travis
    Boat:
    N/A
    So ZZZZZ got me thinking, I totally get the benefit of either an FG or a loop to loop if you are fishing a leader/top shot that is going to be wound onto your reel through guides, but if you are only fishing 5 to 10 feet of leader is there a better connection if you are less concerned about size and the ability of the connection to slide through guides and onto a reel? Does the answer change if you are stepping from a 50 setup to a cow setup?

17. Fincutter

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Independence
    Interesting take. I also wonder about the real reason captains are recommending a boat length of mono. Maybe they're looking at the risk/reward of having a whole boat full of anglers, some of whom won't pay close attention. If you're locked in with complete focus, maybe the boat length thing doesn't apply.

Olddog8 likes this.
  18. Fincutter

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Independence
    BTW, I just pulled out a spool of 40# Seagur and tested it against a spool of 40# Izor mono. The mono seemed a little better but now I'm convinced that spectra to flouro is good enough in the stretch department.

2Rotten likes this.
  19. 2Rotten

2Rotten Member

Name:
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat:
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"

Brilliant! I just did a similar test, 20 yards of 50# Mono and Fluoro. Brief write-up is in Chit Chat, since it wasn't a fishing report... Short version, mono was a little squishier, but both had sufficient stretch for my needs. I will not be using any Braid to Mono to Fluoro rigs; eliminate one point of failure. My initial thoughts are to go braid to 20 yards of fluoro to the hook.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    FishRock likes this.
  20. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

IMO no...