Line Over Run

Discussion in 'Avet Reels Support' started by Bigdog 1961, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Bigdog 1961

Bigdog 1961 Desert Sportfisherman

Name:
    David Piazza
    Boat:
    Been there done that
    IMG_0320.JPG I have a MXJ 5.8 that is 10 years old and every time I use it to fish live bait I have problems with the line overrunning and causing a backlash. This not a thumb problem because I have a SX Raptor and I have zero problems. I have lent this reel out and he had the same problems. I have tried multiple different lines with the same problem
    I read a post on here from someone that said the earlier models had heavier spools and that is what caused them to do this so I ordered a new spool. The picture shows the spools with the new one on the left with the smaller drag washer and the spool weighs 1 gram less. It doesn't seem like this is enough to cause a problem but I don't know for sure.
    When I bought this I used straight mono and I don't remember that it did this or I would have gotten rid of it and it seems to only have started to do this when I started to use braid.
    Any ideas or suggestions? What spool should I use. I really like the reel but If I can't figure this out I am getting rid of it.

2. mcrae

mcrae More wishing than fishing

Name:
    McRae
    Boat:
    none
    I have read of people adding magnets.

3. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    If your line does not lay evenly on the spool, you'll get backlashes because pulling the same amount of line out will cause the spool to spin at different speeds. This is more likely an MXL than an SX because you may not have the MXL filled with line so one side or the middle the spool is taller than the other side. There is no reason for the MXL to over run more than an SX. Really.

4. Bigdog 1961

Name:
    David Piazza
    Boat:
    Been there done that
    Thanks for the suggestions. To be more clear when I am feeding line during a soak I am minding the line but letting the bait take line as natural as possible and that is when the spool over spins and I get loose line that can result in a backlash.
    I had magnets in this reel but they didn't seem to work and I am not sure how magnets can affect an aluminum spool, or maybe I don't understand how this works.

5. yakdout

yakdout Professional

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    s and hoes

The static magging is not used to slow down the reel by magnetizing to the spool. The magnetic field is what is slowing down the spool. You could mag a reel with a plastic spool and static magging would slow it down. Google lenz law. Also what kind of magnets are you using and how many?

6. Bigdog 1961

Name:
    David Piazza
    Boat:
    Been there done that
    I used two small permanent magnets that were called for in the instructions I was following. They used three but It said you could vary the amount and I didn't want to slow it down too much. Do you think I should try three? I have three other Avet reels and a couple of Shimano's and I don't have this problem so I am pretty sure it is not me.

7. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Magnets will have no effect at the speed the spools turning from a bait swimming.

8. dreyna14

dreyna14 Newbie

Name:
    Daniel
    Boat:
    none
    I'm still relatively new to conventional reels and have similar issues with my Penn Fathom when fishing bait but not on any other reel. I just found I have to be more mindful with my thumb pressure because it has much better freespool than my other reels. This could be the case with your Avet. Magnets will not help unless the spool is moving at casting speeds because the torque from the eddie currents induced by the magnets is proportional to the rotational speed of the spool. If you're really in a bind, I'd suggest pulling the spool bearings and packing them solid with grease to increase the drag on it. Other than that, you're SOL like me and need more practice.

yakdout likes this.
  9. yakdout

yakdout Professional

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    s and hoes
    Exactly

10. Meanwhile

Meanwhile Member

Name:
    Randy Kane
    Boat:
    2007 Grady White Marlin, 30.5', w/twin 250's
    It might be as simple as using grease instead of a film lubricant in the spool bearings.

FishRock and pastdue like this.
  11. makairaa

makairaa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    If it is occurring while flylining bait it sounds more like bad mono or flouro with memory to it or just too loosely packed on the reel.

AKSalmon likes this.
  12. gecsr1

gecsr1 28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
    use a little drag tension by adjusting the drag adjustment knob when in free spool..

13. FishRock

FishRock I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Contact Alan Tani and pick his brain. But like No Bail suggested, if it really is due to your bearings being too smooth just use a heavier lube in them. Also Avet reels have a bait setting when you first engauge the lever. Look on the right side plate. Still allows the spool to spin freely with just a hint of pressure to avoid spool over run from the live bait.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  14. russ1962

russ1962 Fish To Live...Live To Fish

Name:
    Russ
    Boat:
    Someone Else's
    I've had the same problem with Izorline xxx.
    Even with normal thumb pressure, I think the line was so limp that it came loose on the spool.

Olddog8 likes this.
  15. Bigdog 1961

Name:
    David Piazza
    Boat:
    Been there done that
    Thank you to everyone for the tips. I was using oil on the spool bearings so I went to grease and it is fee spooling good but nothing like when I using the oil. I also use XXX, what line did you go to?

16. russ1962

Name:
    Russ
    Boat:
    Someone Else's
    I had this issue on two reels with brand new 20lb xxx.
    I still use xxx.
    For some reason it was limited to these two reels that I had spooled at the same time. I think it was the batch of line from the mother spool. Something about it was different.

17. mackereljoe

mackereljoe Member

Name:
    Joey
    Boat:
    None
    I've noticed a slight changed when the spool I'm buying is now stamped MADE IN CHINA and nobody believes me.

18. russ1962

Name:
    Russ
    Boat:
    Someone Else's
    Also forgot to mention that one reel was an Avet SX and the other was a Fathom 25n star drag.
    My son was the first to notice with the Avet SX. I figured it was just not enough thumb pressure on the spool. Then it happened to me when I used the 25n.
    Go figure.