Line on Baja Special

TunaTommy

Mar 15, 2008
Southern California
Name
Tommy
Boat
None
We own three. I am thinking of making one a 50lb 'lupe reel. What do you guys think about about 80lb Spectra with mono on top?

I do have a 15KG that I bought as a 60lb reel. Cal blueprinted it for me & it has bitchen free spool. But he told me that it's really a 50lb reel. I have caught fish with it, but I'm getting rid of it and going Baja Special for 50lb fishing.

Like most of us, when I got into this sport about ten years I bought a lot of stuff that I have either outgrown or didn't need. Now I'm gonna get rid of it. Check classifieds. You make me a decent offer & it's yours!

Happy Easter,

Tom

Upvote 0

Outhouse

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
Tommy, I have two Baja Specials and I have 80# hollow on both of them. I'm thinking about rigging one to fish a short top shot. Great, great reels.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
The 113HN makes an excellent 50-pound reel.
I mostly use it for jig fishing, both yo-yo and surface, and so prefer a pretty long topshot of no less than 100 yards.
That way no matter how long a cast I make, or how deep I let the yo-yo iron drop, I am dealing with mono unless a fish makes a pretty good run after it is hooked.
You can often find great deals on 300-yard spools of braid, so a typical line system for me would be:
10 yards of 80-pound mono "bottomshot" [I hate to put electricians tape or flex wrap on the spool].
plus
300 yards 80-pound Big Game Braid solid
plus
175 yards of 40-pound Big Game mono topshot
or
125 yards of 50-pound Big Game mono topshot
If you prefer "ultra-short" topshots, or just want to fish straight braid by itself, the 113HN will hold almost 600 yards of 80-pound Big Game Braid solid.
I wind my own braid on by machine, using a ton of pressure and a glove, so it is packed on very tight.
The math is easy to figure from there, and of course your mileage may vary depending on line brand, as may your preferred "fill-level".

Upvote 0

screaming_spool

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 26, 2005
Cedros
Name
fisherman
Boat
What
I have one of my baja's set up as a 50lb bait reel. i took it apart my bearings and cleaned up grease and lubed. free spools great. loaded w/ 80lb spectra and a 50 yard top shot.

Upvote 0

TunaTommy

Mar 15, 2008
Southern California
Name
Tommy
Boat
None
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. We have 3 Baja Specials, 2 are 40lb straight mono reels for 'lupe YFT. But I want to set one up for 50lb for jig fishing but primarily for YFT. We usually fish straight 40lb at 'lupe, but I'm thinking that when the taxman is on the prowl, a good 50lb reel with enough line for a tuna's run might be helpful in yanking 'em in before it I have reason to hate jaws. So I think I'm gunna go with your recommendations & spool it with 80lb Spectra & 50lb mono.

I have never fished Spectra, but I won't be saying that after this season.

Happy Easter,

Tom

Upvote 0

mcrae

More wishing than fishing
Sep 30, 2007
Central California
Name
McRae
Boat
none
You could fish 60lb to 80lb spectra on all of them. This way you could use all of them for 40lb or 50 lb topshots. It will give you far more options in how you use your tackle.

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
Oct 20, 2008
San Marcos
Name
Brandon
Boat
Sportboat
Yeah I have a couple and have one with 80lb spectra with 50 and the other with 40. Fishing 100 yard topshots is just like fishing mono only it saves you in the long run.

Upvote 0