LINE CAPACITY PRO EX 30/2 & WTB Used

Discussion in 'Avet Reels Support' started by geebee, Jul 19, 2018.

1. geebee

geebee My Member is Well-Known

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    HERE IS THE ACTUAL YARDAGE Avet EX 30/2 for 130lb Power Pro spectra solid with photo (room for a 100lb floro leader, unused room too thin for a 100lb mono top shot):

Pictured at 400 yards (installed by Squidco)

AvetEX30.jpg

2. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    i should add i went with the EX30/2 at the last minute

the deciding factors were
    1. two phone calls i made to Okuma USA sales (full voice mail box and receptionist who promised to have my calls returned, gave up waiting after two days)
    2. Mak20 made overseas - Avet made in CA
    3. price: the Mak20 was $560, plus tax, plus $180 for line
    4. i was able to get the EX 30/2 in unused condition for just above $300 with 400yds unused PP spectra

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  3. JamesTaylor

JamesTaylor Newbie

Name:
    James Taylor
    Boat:
    Not yet
    I’m debating on the Avet and mak also. For only 100 or 200 more I can get a mak and from what I’ve read on bd, is a very fine piece. How do you like your Avet and have you put any large fish on it?

4. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    I added an avet hxw Raptor 3speed on top of my hx Raptor and ex30 since posting this

No big fish on any of them yet

I’m prob biased for the avet, but everything I read about the maks interests me - they feel great in the hand

Nearly impossible to find on sale tho

Avet however: squid has a $500 Father’s Day gift cert for $400 - apply that to a Raptor, with a free fill up of jbraid or Powerpro to the brim ... and I’m taking the deal again on an avet mxl Raptor this weekend

Ps: not sure if squid sells the mak, if they do the 15th is the day of the deal...

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  5. Larmo

Larmo Strip it. Mend it. Hit it!

Name:
    Larry
    Boat:
    Your Cabo
    EX30/2 is a beast. I’ve caught plenty of big fish on mine and it was in use for over 10 years with minimal fussiness.

But for most applications, the HXW Raptor is a better choice. I sold the 30/2 after a long night on the jig with that heavy reel and replaced it with the HXW-R. Holds more line too.

6. Larmo

Larmo Strip it. Mend it. Hit it!

Name:
    Larry
    Boat:
    Your Cabo
    Avet is a much better reel and it’s made in the USA. American jobs for American fishermen, and when something goes wrong you can call a local guy in a local factory for service.

I don’t understand why anyone would buy a foreign when there are so many high quality American products.

7. FishRock

FishRock I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)

I own a half dozen Avets and they are great reels. Killed a near limit of wahoo with my little SX Raptor last winter and plenty of 100 - 180 pound YFT on Avet EX30 over the past few years. But the Makaira reels offer different gearing and I love the low gear on my Maks. Okuma may be an off shore company but they still employ plenty of folks in the US and offer choices to anglers. Foreign vs. US made is not a deal killer for me.