geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
Anyone who's actually spooled an Avet PRO EX 30/2 to the brim (for short floro leader) remember how many yards of solid braid spectra it holds in 100lb and 130lb?

I know what the Avet and Tackledirect websites note, but I believe they are way off the real world. Can't afford Maxcuatro or hollow braid, only Jbraid or PowerPro solid.

avet30.jpg

UPDATE, 11Nov 2018 Squid people installed it new (white Spectra 100lb solid - 485 yards to brim)

Last edited:

bajaandy

Condition One
Jun 13, 2008
Escondido
Name
Andy
Boat
Parker 2530 "WET-O's"
You said 30EX but you posted a pic of a 30EXW. Two different beasts, capacity wise. If I recall, I think I got 700(+/-) yds of 130lb braid on my EXW with room for a topshot. You might call any of the reputable tackle shops and ask them since they're spooling em up all the time.

Reactions: geebee

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
...call any of the reputable tackle shops and ask them since they're spooling em up all the time.
EDITED, Photo added: BELOW I GOT A LOT OF CONFLICTING INFO on how much line can be installed. I actually had Squidco spool an EX 30/2 (not the EXW wide reel) with what I was told was 130lb solid Power Pro spectra - the EX narrow reel held the 400 yards 130lb with a comfortable room for a short 100lb leader. My gut instinct on 100lb solid PowerPro braid on an Avet EX 30/2 would fill with comfortable room for an 80lb leader at around 550 yards.

ex30.jpg

An employee at a Fisherman's Landing tackle shop (San Diego) just said the EX 30/2 holds about 600yds of 130lb hollow spectra (at $30 per 100yds, $180 full, what's that $.30 per yard?).

They added the EX 30/2 holds about 750yds Izorline brand 100lb solid braid (at $24 per 100yds, $180 full, what's that $.24 per yard?).

I have no idea how they could be so far off unless he was talking about the EXW 30/2 wide version.

They seemed limited on what they wanted to put on the EX 30/2 reel and those were about my only two choices for solid and hollow.

Not having seen the real-world numbers with my own eyes, I am a bit skeptical of an EX 30/2 holding 750yards 100lb solid spectra mostly because my HX Raptor only held about 500 yards of 100lb solid Jbraid, my TLD 20A 2 speed is about the same spool size and I only got just over 600 yards of 80lb Power Pro on it. Further, my TLD 30 II took only 520yds of 120lb solid Jbraid.

And I have zero experience with hollow braid...

Last edited:

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Been on this line capacity issue for a couple days.

ChadHoman515 on this thread selling a used EX 30/2 wrote he got only 230 yards of 130lb spectra on it (it looks pretty full in his pictures).

Avet site states: Jerry Brown 100lb/560yards
Tackle direct: 130lb/460yards, 100lb/670yards

However Tackledirect website lists an HX Raptor holds 600 yards of 100lb braid (but Squidco said they only got 500yds on my HX Raptor)...

Last edited:

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I’m picking up a used EX30 on my way south in a couple of weeks. Might just ask the current owner to ship it so I can get my hands on it, open it up, grease the drag, oil the spool washers, get it ready for its new home on the OSP 1X3 I just finished.

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
I have to wonder how my real-word results of having tackle shops install braid on my four Avet reels differ so greatly from Avet manufacturer line capacity charts.

I recall reading that Avet doesn’t actually install line on its reels to formulate its yardage specs.

Their approach is a big mystery to me - something attuned to melting a spool of braid (or mono), pouring it into the volume of the spool, and then weighing that to calculate yardage. Or some other theoretical calculation that doesn't seem to translate well to actual line capacity.

Based on my experience having retail tackle shops spool my four other Avet reels with solid braid spectra fishing line - Avet line charts run substantially high from what can be actually installed.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2014
Long Beach
Name
Peter
Boat
Stealth 14
Website says 560yds of Jerry Brown One line 100lb. A search shows a diameter of 0.433mm while J-Braid is more like 0.500mm. I bet that difference in diameter would account for ~50 yards.

Reactions: Larmo and geebee

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
... 560yds of Jerry Brown One line 100lb ... diameter of 0.433mm while J-Braid is more like 0.500mm. I bet that difference in diameter would account for ~50 yards.
Yes you say ... I'm beginning to think there are too many differences in braid weaves (thickness, density) to standardize types and classes of lines (or get worked up over the inconsistancies).

I think my best bet is to gain a little more experience with the spectra I have installed on my reels and keep slugging away at the documentation.

PS: As a side note, a popular squid shop in SD just told me the EX 30/2 speed will spool about 400 yards of 130lb Izorline hollow to the brim for a floro leader - thats well below the 600 yards of 130lb Jerry Brown hollow Fishermans Landing said shop they get on the EX 30/2.

Last edited:

SouthBayKiller

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Sounds low, I packed 550 of izor solid on a Mak 16 which is significantly smaller. Id like to see how full the reel was, my guess is
Yes you say ... I'm beginning to think there are too many differences in braid weaves (thickness, density) to standardize types and classes of lines (or get worked up over the inconsistancies).

I think my best bet is to gain a little more experience with the spectra I have installed and keep slugging away at the documentation.

PS: As a side note, a popular squid shop in SD just told me the EX 30/2 speed will spool about 400 yards of 130lb Izorline hollow to the brim for a floro leader - thats well below the 600 yards of 130lb Jerry Brown hollow Fishermans Landing said they get on the EX 30/2.
Gee, if you really want to get your undergarments in a twist, look at the diameters and actual breaking strength of JB hollow 80 vs 100.

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Sounds low ... Id like to see how full the reel was, my guess is
you just took me to church with that comment, brother

tld20.jpg

the TLD was my first spectra project (and now i know)

Gee, if you really want to get your undergarments in a twist, look at the diameters and actual breaking strength of JB hollow 80 vs 100.
my head's already hurting

Last edited:

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Went to order an EX 30/2 from a tackledirect website, when I asked to include the line for the payment total, the guy said the EX holds 400-450 yards of 100lb Jerry Brown hollow (600yds solid).

He also said reels hold 8-10% more solid than hollow. I read elsewhere that reels hold more hollow line because it lays flatter (like rolling up a flat firehose vs a round one).

Seems like a lot of bad confusing info out there on this subject...

Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Went to order an EX 30/2 from a tackledirect website, when I asked to include the line for the payment total, the guy said the EX holds 400-450 yards of 100lb Jerry Brown hollow (600yds solid).

He also said reels hold 8-10% more solid than hollow. I read elsewhere that reels hold more hollow line because it lays flatter (like rolling up a flat firehose vs a round one).

Seems like a lot of bad confusing info out there on this subject...
From what I have heard, Jerry Brown makes two 100# hollow. The original is 12 strand. The new stuff is 16 strand. Might want to ask which one they plan to use.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
Interesting to hear about a 16 carrier 100 on hollow from Jerry Brown.

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
After all the reading up trying to find consistent info on line capacity (and being at the cash register twice to buy an EX30 only to hold off over line confusion) — I decided to go with Makaira MK 20II.

It’s greased drag system, thrust bearing design, and five-year warranty piqued my interest and won me over in the end.

I added two new Raptors to my collection already this year - HX, JX.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
You’ll be happy with your choice. Mak20, great reel

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
HERE IS THE ACTUAL YARDAGE Avet EX 30/2 for 130lb Power Pro spectra solid with photo (room for a 100lb floro leader, unused room too thin for a 100lb mono top shot):

Pictured at 400 yards (installed by Squidco)

AvetEX30.jpg

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
i should add i went with the EX30/2 at the last minute

the deciding factors were
  1. two phone calls i made to Okuma USA sales (full voice mail box and receptionist who promised to have my calls returned, gave up waiting after two days)
  2. Mak20 made overseas - Avet made in CA
  3. price: the Mak20 was $560, plus tax, plus $180 for line
  4. i was able to get the EX 30/2 in unused condition for just above $300 with 400yds unused PP spectra

Last edited:

JamesTaylor

Jan 7, 2019
Cypress, Ca
Name
James Taylor
Boat
Not yet
i should add i went with the EX30/2 at the last minute

the deciding factors were
  1. two phone calls i made to Okuma USA sales (full voice mail box and receptionist who promised to have my calls returned, gave up waiting after two days)
  2. Mak20 made overseas - Avet made in CA
  3. price: the Mak20 was $560, plus tax, plus $180 for line
  4. i was able to get the EX 30/2 in unused condition for just above $300 with 400yds unused PP spectra
I’m debating on the Avet and mak also. For only 100 or 200 more I can get a mak and from what I’ve read on bd, is a very fine piece. How do you like your Avet and have you put any large fish on it?

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
I added an avet hxw Raptor 3speed on top of my hx Raptor and ex30 since posting this

No big fish on any of them yet

I’m prob biased for the avet, but everything I read about the maks interests me - they feel great in the hand

Nearly impossible to find on sale tho

Avet however: squid has a $500 Father’s Day gift cert for $400 - apply that to a Raptor, with a free fill up of jbraid or Powerpro to the brim ... and I’m taking the deal again on an avet mxl Raptor this weekend

Ps: not sure if squid sells the mak, if they do the 15th is the day of the deal...

Last edited:

Larmo

Strip it. Mend it. Hit it!
Jul 11, 2004
San Diego
www.lawrenceshea.com
Name
Larry
Boat
Your Cabo
EX30/2 is a beast. I’ve caught plenty of big fish on mine and it was in use for over 10 years with minimal fussiness.

But for most applications, the HXW Raptor is a better choice. I sold the 30/2 after a long night on the jig with that heavy reel and replaced it with the HXW-R. Holds more line too.