Line Capacity for Local cow BFT?

Discussion in 'California Sport Fishing Reports Forums' started by YouFARMEDItBro, Sep 10, 2018.

1. YouFARMEDItBro

YouFARMEDItBro Member

Name:
    Farmer
    Boat:
    Sold It.
    I'm interested to hear from people who have caught cows recently fishing jigs at SCI and understand how much line got smoked off the reel. The last one I caught was 100lb class and didn't take much more line than a scrappy YFT half the size would have run away with. After two big runs then settled up and down and it was tug-o-war with the same line for awhile. I feel like it really comes down to drag, using the rail and pulling hard. I would guess a lot of guys on here fish reels with 500 yards of spectra on them tops. I could be wrong. My understanding is a lot of these guys with 1000+ yards of line need it if they are fishing balloons and kites simply to get the bait away from the boat. Jig fishing is in 200ft-500ft of water.

2. BluefinCurly

BluefinCurly Skipper

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    Vagabond, The Last Minute
    I'd say you have it correct....though a 200#er is a bit more than a scrappy YFT

larry dickson and YouFARMEDItBro like this.
  3. Terryw

Terryw Capitan

Name:
    Terry
    Boat:
    Sold
    Most of the time a Makaira 20 with 100# spectra will have you covered. Many cows on this size outfit. Captain of the Vagabond said he has seen them get smoked when a really big fish decides to keep going. a 222# took me down to the last 1/3. If you are using your reel on the kite you definitely need something bigger since a lot of line could already be out. Good luck and have fun.

IronMikeAC likes this.
  4. Docktordocktor

Docktordocktor Old Timer

Name:
    Dock
    Boat:
    Indy
    I've seen hundreds of 200# tuna caught with less than 400 yards of the line going out with the proper drag set. Yet the kite takes more line (100 yds.) to get the bait to the water. And I've seen 650 yards of spectra quickly spooled at places like Hurricane bank and the Rocks. Seems like the bottom and current have something to do with it and big tuna tend to swim out and away to where it gets deeper.

A 50W holds 800 yards of spectra IIRC. I think it's easier to hold an 8 lb. reel for 8 hours than to pull on 30# of drag and crank harder, on a smaller reel for 1 hour. Jut saying a reel is more than just line capacity.

reelsimple, ripped and YouFARMEDItBro like this.
  5. Guideoutpost

Guideoutpost Big Dave's biggest bluefin

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    N/A
    I caught a 293 lb bluefin at sci using Avet 50 using 130 JB hollow tied directly to swivel with 3ft FC leader on 500 gm fall flat. 32 lbs of drag to get it to the boat tail wrapped.

Let a buddy use my Penn 50sw on the kite and the fish took 700 yds off the reel. He passed the rod off to several guys to land a 200+ cow.

6. IronMikeAC

IronMikeAC Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Vagabond
    Dave hit the nail on the head.....32lbs of drag. I got my 220 on 50sw with 32 lb drag at strike. 150 yr run then settled in for a fight. The smaller 30 sized reels with lighter drag settings almost got spooled

7. Haly0

Haly0 Pescado hunter

Name:
    Hal
    Boat:
    lightest load party boat available
    My cow got sharked and it dumped half the spool on my Avet 50/2. Fishing 35 pounds of drag just a little past strike.

8. Docktordocktor

Docktordocktor Old Timer

Name:
    Dock
    Boat:
    Indy
    A Penn 50W is well capable of 30# at strike. I was fortunate to catch 200+ lb YFT on a trip with numerous rods and reel, which all worked fine - some better than others. A worked Penn 70 with 1/1 low was a pretty easy grind on the 3 fish I've caught on it. Accurate 50W was incredible and much easier than most other reels due to the bearings and balance of the reel. Willfish built Shimano 50W TLD LRS with Tip power handle was really smooth. 2 Pen 50W were no problem. Penn 50S, although narrow, was a bit more difficult to wind. A Penn 30S. built like a tank, was significantly harder to crank.
    Alll of the reels have had work done to maximize the reels ability. All have Tiburon power handles, except the Accurate which has an 80 handle. The Accurate, Penn 70 and TLD LRS were the easiest to catch 200+ lb. tuna.
    Greater than 30# of drag is hard to handle.
    I don't recall having more than 400 - 500 yards of line out ever, but I've seen 50W reels with 600 yards of spectra spooled on the same days. The line popped at the spectra / mono connection, and the reel pulled 30# after that.
    Just sayin, big fish - big gear works better.

9. Hooknfish

Hooknfish Newbie

Name:
    Armando Gonzalez
    Boat:
    Cortez

10. joshua mosley

joshua mosley Newbie

Name:
    josua mosley
    Boat:
    none
    great info to read. Ill be renting gear for my trip next year want to ask what do I need to buy extra would like to rent 3 rods probably for a 1.5; a 30# a 50# and a 100+# set up in hopes that I get my first cow on the line. do I need to buy swivels, fluorocarbon top shot lines in each weight class, a lot of different sized hooks too? I know the landing rents the rods but Im wondering what else I need to have in my bag before I get there as im flying in from east side to try this :) thanks for any tips and help love learning your all's tactics

11. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    Couple notes here.

- 400 yards of 100# is very safe with the right drag setting.

- Drag numbers are like fish weights. Everybody is pulling 40#'s. Get a solid drag scale and set your reels to about 28# at strike which should give you about 35# at sunset depending on the reel.

- Yellowfin pull MUCH harder than these local BFT. Not even a close comparison.

- One thing I learned from the mexi's down south is to let the fish run themselves out. I set our drags at 2/3 strike or about 23# at hook up. Let them take a long, ripping first run. Then slide it up to strike to bring him back to the boat. Once you're up and down go to button (sunset) or as much as you can handle. You will kill most BFT cows in a half hour or so like this.

Best of luck.