PENN

cioppino

Dec 16, 2005
San Diego
Name
Dave
Boat
FORTUNA -- Parker 2510 XLD
Left MB at 530 with some okay small to medium-sized dines. Headed a few miles north of the 371. We found a good spot of YFT right away that did not want to play, but they put on a great show! Kept heading south and saw some skippies getting airbourne, so we stop to get some lobster bait. Meter was loaded with good marks. Landed 3 skippies then it went solid YFT.
We could see a small fleet of party boats a few miles south, but it was just us on this school, or so we thought. A few minutes into the bite the Ocean Odyssey comes rolling in. With all the negative reports this season about the sport boats I was expecting a minor shit show. Amazingly he slid in just right, kept a great working distance, and chummed the school into a frenzy. We fished that school together until everyone on both boats had limits.
After we limited we reset upswell and well off his bow to try and C&R a few jig fish. Right away someone from the Ocean Odyssey starts yelling at us! I was like WTF? We just fished next to each other for 2 hours, now you want to yell!?? He hails us over the VHF and was yelling at us to come fish off his stern! LOL, We were very thankful for the offer but needed to get going. By then a few other skiffs showed up and he called them in to fish tight as well.
I don't know who runs that boat, but it was nice to see someone doing things the right way!

Fortuna out!

yftllimits.jpg
yftyeti.jpg

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Props to Ocean Odyssey for doing the right thing!

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    It's all about respect! Act a foo get treated like a foo.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I've always had great trips on the Ocean Odyssey. An excellent operation in all respects. The captains conduct was not an exception.

Upvote 0

yellowfish26

Totally Nude 24/7
    Aug 21, 2008
    Chula Vista/Ca/USA
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    26ft Seaswirl. The Big Chorizo
    Left MB at 530 with some okay small to medium-sized dines. Headed a few miles north of the 371. We found a good spot of YFT right away that did not want to play, but they put on a great show! Kept heading south and saw some skippies getting airbourne, so we stop to get some lobster bait. Meter was loaded with good marks. Landed 3 skippies then it went solid YFT.
    We could see a small fleet of party boats a few miles south, but it was just us on this school, or so we thought. A few minutes into the bite the Ocean Odyssey comes rolling in. With all the negative reports this season about the sport boats I was expecting a minor shit show. Amazingly he slid in just right, kept a great working distance, and chummed the school into a frenzy. We fished that school together until everyone on both boats had limits.
    After we limited we reset upswell and well off his bow to try and C&R a few jig fish. Right away someone from the Ocean Odyssey starts yelling at us! I was like WTF? We just fished next to each other for 2 hours, now you want to yell!?? He hails us over the VHF and was yelling at us to come fish off his stern! LOL, We were very thankful for the offer but needed to get going. By then a few other skiffs showed up and he called them in to fish tight as well.
    I don't know who runs that boat, but it was nice to see someone doing things the right way!

Fortuna out!

View attachment 1077211 View attachment 1077212
    Sport boats most always drift stern first. When you set up off their bow you are parked right in their chumline. Thats why they were trying to get you to set up off their stern and that would have allowed you to all work together. They weren't being dicks, they were trying educate you. They slid in on you respectfully. You were the one who pulled the dickhead move.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

tunacraze

• Nov 27, 2006
    Santee
    Name
    Steve Brunton
    Boat
    The Big Ones
    He's right, but I wouldn't say you're a dickhead. Great report! Those are nice fish! What did they weigh?

Upvote 0

yellowfish26

Totally Nude 24/7
    Aug 21, 2008
    Chula Vista/Ca/USA
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    26ft Seaswirl. The Big Chorizo
    He's right, but I wouldn't say you're a dickhead. Great report! Those are nice fish! What did they weigh?
    When did i say HE was a dickhead? I said it was a dickhead move which it is. A lot of people running their own boats actually wonder why the sport boats get mad .... Not excusing their shitty behavior either...

Another fine example of the collective "Genius" level reading comprehension demonstrated here on BD..

Last edited:
    Reactions: eric harner
    Upvote 0

cioppino

Dec 16, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    FORTUNA -- Parker 2510 XLD
    Thanks yellowfis, I understand how a big boat drifts. Spent way too many years on one. When he originally slid in on us he put us off his bow close enough for his passengers to fling iron well past us. That never happened though.
    Our reset was way further away than his original set. My point of mentioning any of that was that he was being very cool, which is good.

Carry on.

Go Nationals!!!

Last edited:
    Reactions: esgeo and tunacraze
    Upvote 0