flyliner

@thereelflyliner
Aug 19, 2007
Santa Monica
Name
Jonathan
Boat
31' Cabo Express
My wife asked me late Saturday night if I was fishing Sunday. So all of a sudden I was fishing Sunday….lol.

Got down to my boat in San Pedro around 6 am this morning with plans to take a look at a new zone.

Got into the area around 8 am and went up into the tower to look around and spotted a foamer right away. First cast with the popper and I am on. Made quick work of a nice 60 pound fish and I was pretty happy.

Climbed back up into the tower and spotted another huge foamer. Unfortunately when I got up to the bow to make a cast I realized these were all really big fish. I paused for a moment to consider what I was getting myself into, but made the cast anyway. On the second “pop” I get rolled on by a 200+ and I immediately regretted my decision. After 15 minutes of pure torture, I tighten down the drag and start pulling as hard as I can and thankfully the hook pulls.

Doesn’t take long to spot my next foamer and on my third cast of the day I am on again. Feels like a good fish, but certainly catchable. He goes on a few long runs and takes me around the boat a couple times making a good showing of himself. He was still a little hot when I brought him to gaff and almost ripped the gaff out of my hand when I stuck him. Not sure on weight, but I would say 80-90 ish.

Its 9:30 am and I am done. I didn’t bring ice as it was a last minute decision to go, so I filet and bag both fish on the water and put them in my small refrigerator in the cabin.

Back in the slip before noon. Great day.

Jonathan

DB5974F6-494C-4606-B699-72CF70E5DBD0.jpeg

djd35de

• Jul 18, 2005
    Chula Vista
    Name
    David
    Boat
    18.5 Boston whaler
    My wife asked me late Saturday night if I was fishing Sunday. So all of a sudden I was fishing Sunday….lol.

Got down to my boat in San Pedro around 6 am this morning with plans to take a look at a new zone.

Got into the area around 8 am and went up into the tower to look around and spotted a foamer right away. First cast with the popper and I am on. Made quick work of a nice 60 pound fish and I was pretty happy.

Climbed back up into the tower and spotted another huge foamer. Unfortunately when I got up to the bow to make a cast I realized these were all really big fish. I paused for a moment to consider what I was getting myself into, but made the cast anyway. On the second “pop” I get rolled on by a 200+ and I immediately regretted my decision. After 15 minutes of pure torture, I tighten down the drag and start pulling as hard as I can and thankfully the hook pulls.

Doesn’t take long to spot my next foamer and on my third cast of the day I am on again. Feels like a good fish, but certainly catchable. He goes on a few long runs and takes me around the boat a couple times making a good showing of himself. He was still a little hot when I brought him to gaff and almost ripped the gaff out of my hand when I stuck him. Not sure on weight, but I would say 80-90 ish.

Its 9:30 am and I am done. I didn’t bring ice as it was a last minute decision to go, so I filet and bag both fish on the water and put them in my small refrigerator in the cabin.

Jonathan

View attachment 1300324
    That's the kind of trip I dream of ! Nice work.

Reactions: flyliner
    Upvote 0
    Oct 23, 2019
    San Clemente
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    Robalo R180

Jonathan

View attachment 1300324
    Excellent work! What reel did you use?

Upvote 0

Weekend Bender

Keeping it clean
    Aug 28, 2008
    Laguna Hills Ca.
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    N/A Just the gear
    You need to do a tutorial on how to fish the popper on tuna schools...yellowfin and bluefin. I would love to see your techniques on approaching and casting and retrieving.

Just have Ali pin it.

Seriously, nice job AGAIN!

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    Magnets, bitches! You must have fish magnets built into your boat. Marvelous trip and report as usual, thanks for the vicarious fantasy.

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

Reactions: flyliner
    Upvote 0