Limits on Albacore Tuna!!!!

cj6530

Jun 5, 2009
WA
Name
chris
Boat
NR
So, broad statements like this and not understanding our fishery is likely to get you verbally wacked by us Washi Googans. You are attempting to apply logic you evidently learned from DFG California to Washington state. They had a public forum on Albacore limits a few years back and there was no science behind the "Limit", but this selling fish thing could be the key to them for putting limits on us. And when you impose a limit it almost never goes up, almost always goes down over the years. Understanding our short season, hazardous seas, and the amount we can actually successfully fish for Albacore up here is tantamount to us not having limits. Sporties up here do not have a real impact the Tuna Population.

Verbally abusing those that bring up the topic of limits/conservation is what will eventually result in Albacore limits. Every time a WA sportsman calls someone the devil/tree hugger...whatever, its a win for groups like the Sierra Club. Sure it sounds great on this forum...everyone gets to post a "like" and high five. I promise...its off putting to the "undecided" and to conservation minded sportsman. Those are the people you want to win over and who will ultimately determine future rules/regulations.

Upvote 0

Clockwork

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 16, 2011
covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
GW Marlin
When i lived near the wa-id border freinds from idaho used to drop deer carcasses off to me and other guys cause their freezer was already full.

Now they say the deer are gone because of the wolves.

Just saying.

Reactions: Siv and Team Sency
Upvote 0

BigJoe

No fish in O'side
Dec 6, 2005
Vista
Name
Joe
Boat
26', Striper, Wage Burner
I do not have a dog in this fight as I am not in WA but.....

I will say that I was in the PFMC meeting room when the "sign along the road" selling albacore was discussed in November. Let me just say that there was an VERY high interest in making sure all of these sellers had all the proper permits and documentation to be performing these sales legally.

For what is it worth based on the conversation of the federal fish managers and enforcement officers I would say they are going to be looking at this activity closely.

Upvote 0

Fish Slapper

I would love to be your Captain for a day!
Jul 30, 2008
Tacoma,Wa
www.markyoungbloodsportfishing.com
Name
Mark
Boat
30 Ft "Pacific Addiction". 26.5 ft Alumaweld Columbia "Turbos Palace"
i think Kevin is sleeping.

At a minimum you need a non-salmon delivery permit, give a $2,000 bond to WDFW, carry a fish ticket booklet, excise tax form, survival suits for each worker, and a Solas A life raft (has food, water, and a few other items for commercial fishing).

That's the minimum to sell ONLY to a wholesale fish buyer (not Joe Shmoe on the dock, you can only sell to someone who has a fish buyer permit).

To sell to Joe Shmoe one the dock (the public), you need all of the above plus a wholesale fish buyer permit.

what about having your boat "documented"?

Upvote 0

Reel Hooker

“Ice Melter”
Sep 9, 2013
Carnation
www.metropolitandetail.com
Name
Benjamin
Boat
Parker 2320 Long Cabin 'REEL HOOKER'
All I can say, is the amount of time and money WE spend for the few days WE get out to fish for tuna ain't small. It would be a shame for a few to ruin this for all. Everyone of us should do what we can to help stop it. . . rather than say "well I take only 25 or 50 or 40 or what ever. Stop posting damn numbers and stop seeing it form only your own state of mind. Listen to People like KEVIN and learn from these posts. STOP POSTING NUMBERS OF FISH CAUGHT. I'm sure I have in the past, but Education is key in life, LEARN from your mistakes and you will be a better person and make for a better fishing community. It would be a shame to have limits come about, and it doesn't help when cali fishermen come on and say things that affect our seasons, limits, and play time. There is no reason for Cali people to but into our issues and debates, It doesn't help and just makes you look like an . . .

I hate to say it, but if I see any fish sales happening, I will put Trackerputman on you after I call the authorities and have a nice talk with them. This is a short season that gets blown out by weather, work conflicts, boat troubles, crew canceling, and gas prices for some. Please do all you can to support KEVIN LANIER and protect our most fun fishery (IMO) and if you haven't been out for tuna don't start, you won't like it.

Benjamin

Upvote 0

dragonballs

I'm off probation
  • Mar 28, 2008
    Arlington WA
    Name
    Vance
    Boat
    40' ocean sport fisher
    I have seen less of the pictures of tuna spread out on the dock. I think a lot of us get it. I know that a lot of post still say "plugged the boat" we can say " had a great day" or something like that. I see adds on craigslist for people selling tuna... I have been asked at the dock if we would sell some and always reply "no its illegal" and often we offer to give a small one or two away for free. I share tuna with my family and customers. Never sell it...

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    All I can say, is the amount of time and money WE spend for the few days WE get out to fish for tuna ain't small. It would be a shame for a few to ruin this for all. Everyone of us should do what we can to help stop it. . . rather than say "well I take only 25 or 50 or 40 or what ever. Stop posting damn numbers and stop seeing it form only your own state of mind. Listen to People like KEVIN and learn from these posts. STOP POSTING NUMBERS OF FISH CAUGHT. I'm sure I have in the past, but Education is key in life, LEARN from your mistakes and you will be a better person and make for a better fishing community. It would be a shame to have limits come about, and it doesn't help when cali fishermen come on and say things that affect our seasons, limits, and play time. There is no reason for Cali people to but into our issues and debates, It doesn't help and just makes you look like an . . .

I hate to say it, but if I see any fish sales happening, I will put Trackerputman on you after I call the authorities and have a nice talk with them. This is a short season that gets blown out by weather, work conflicts, boat troubles, crew canceling, and gas prices for some. Please do all you can to support KEVIN LANIER and protect our most fun fishery (IMO) and if you haven't been out for tuna don't start, you won't like it.

Benjamin
    just saying first time they bust some one in Cali it is a minimum of 10 grand'
    they did this because years ago LR guys when they returned from a trip some would sell a few in the parking lot ' that is what' a old friend told me

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
    May 31, 2003
    not a spoiled bitch from san diego
    Name
    bill
    Boat
    I hate boats
    There is no reason for Cali people to but into our issues and debates, It doesn't help and just makes you look like an . .

get your head out of ................ the sand. cali people have already been through ALL of this. washi could use some help on this so that YOU don't repeat history.

Upvote 0

KC Lanier

Capt. KC Sportfishing
    Jun 11, 2009
    Mexico Beach, Florida
    www.KCsportfishing.com
    Name
    Kevin and Cyndi
    Boat
    32 Luhrs Open "Fishin'Luhrs"
    Thanks Mark yes I was sleeping. In addition to what Mark said to sell to Joe public.

You have to have a buyer and sellers license. Your boat has to be registered with the Dept Rev. 10 inch numbers on you boat. You can be documented or have WN numbers. You must have a business licenses in Westport. You must pay B&O tax. You have to meet commercial vessel requirements for safety gear.. I had $800 in just permits last

Pictures do not indicate selling of fish. But. If you lay 40 and 50 fish on the dock week after week it attracts the wrong attention.

Reactions: Devilphish
    Upvote 0

fishcrazyone

Sep 18, 2012
    Brier
    Name
    Nick Galash
    Boat
    Almar 27
    I agree with Kevin, commercial fishing is like all industries including construction, there is a select few decide they don't need to pay the associated costs with it but still want profit from it it.

Reactions: hawkplayer32
    Upvote 0

Cap'n Coldeye

Salt Shaker
    Jun 29, 2011
    Kent/Wa/US
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat
    Shamrock 220 "Loco Gringo"
    I am thinking that it's a good idea to share this info with anyone who crews on the boat as well (Private and Charter).

Upvote 0

hawkplayer32

GOOD DEAL
    Aug 6, 2012
    Valencia, CA
    Name
    Anthony Hicks
    Boat
    Good Deal
    Sounds like this a pretty complex issue. And I have to say that my original comment (see above) was influenced by seeing boat loads of fish in reports from you WA guys. Seeing those reports and then hearing of the issues WA is having with the selling of recreational caught tuna in my mind is convincing evidence that there is a problem.

Some of you have asked your WA friends not to post numbers or pictures of fish caught. This only makes me think how many hundreds or thousands of other WA fisherman already don't post numbers. In my opinion your better off simply reporting any suspicious activity in regards to selling of tuna to the proper authorities.

Either way, I hope you find my comments helpful rather than offensive.

Reactions: Team Sency
    Upvote 0

oldschool 1

Night Watchman .
    Jun 13, 2011
    Aberdeen wa
    Name
    Andy
    Boat
    Oldschool 2
    Thanks Mark yes I was sleeping. In addition to what Mark said to sell to Joe public.

You have to have a buyer and sellers license. Your boat has to be registered with the Dept Rev. 10 inch numbers on you boat. You can be documented or have WN numbers. You must have a business licenses in Westport. You must pay B&O tax. You have to meet commercial vessel requirements for safety gear.. I had $800 in just permits last

Pictures do not indicate selling of fish. But. If you lay 40 and 50 fish on the dock week after week it attracts the wrong attention.

If you cut fish, a food handlers card also ?

Reactions: wa_docholliday
    Upvote 0

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
    Jan 6, 2012
    Black Diamond
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    JuiceBox2
    I don't know the science of Tuna populations to know what our efforts do against them. I am a rookie Tunafisher...I would consider myself a fairly high skilled Kingfisher...I fished Kings way more than I fished Tuna last year...yet I caught waaaaaay more Tuna than Kings...thus why so many people are amped to go after them...it is a catching trip versus a fishing trip...and those that don't like fishing don't care for King fishing let alone wanting to go Steelhead fishing.

Tuna is the only fish that I fish for that does not have a limit. Seems pretty cool, as long as the REALITY is that we are not hurting the population. If the science proves that no harm in what we do, then great. If in reality the combined fishing efforts(sport/commmercial) are pointing us down the path of no Tuna, then I am in for doing what takes to keep them around for years to come.

Last year we were pulling the Juice out and some guys asked us how we did. We had several tuna left to process and my buddy asked if they wanted a few. He gave them a couple tuna and when we pulled away he said they gave us $20 to help towards the fuel. I thought was nice of them. Reading this, we could have gotten in trouble and should not have taken the $$. So thanks for sharing this Kevin.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Clockwork
    Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    I don't know the science of Tuna populations to know what our efforts do against them. I am a rookie Tunafisher...I would consider myself a fairly high skilled Kingfisher...I fished Kings way more than I fished Tuna last year...yet I caught waaaaaay more Tuna than Kings...thus why so many people are amped to go after them...it is a catching trip versus a fishing trip...and those that don't like fishing don't care for King fishing let alone wanting to go Steelhead fishing.

Tuna is the only fish that I fish for that does not have a limit. Seems pretty cool, as long as the REALITY is that we are not hurting the population. If the science proves that no harm in what we do, then great. If in reality the combined fishing efforts(sport/commmercial) are pointing us down the path of no Tuna, then I am in for doing what takes to keep them around for years to come.

Last year we were pulling the Juice out and some guys asked us how we did. We had several tuna left to process and my buddy asked if they wanted a few. He game them a couple tuna and when we pulled away he said they gave us $20 to help towards the fuel. I thought was nice of them. Reading this, we could have gotten in trouble and should not have taken the $$. So thanks for sharing this Kevin.
    yep

Upvote 0

lucerunner

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 24, 2012
    olympia wa
    Name
    ken luce
    Boat
    Blue Kai
    I have been asked at dock if we would sell always same answer cannot selltell them to go to docks that advertise tuna
    I have given fresh tuna loins to people who look or said they have never tried fresh. Will not take any kind of money.
    To many wardens know me and boat to take any kind of money

Reactions: wils
    Upvote 0

Hunter Dan

Jun 30, 2011
    Stauffer
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    MUGWUMP
    Not a hard core tuna slayer here, but this issue crosses several fisheries. 1. We gripe and moan about tribal 'side of the road' undocumented catch, yet also grumble about not being able to sell sport caught catch without a whole bunch of permitting and oversight? All undocumented sales of catch should be equally lambasted and prosecuted. 2. Tuna, clams, crab, salmon ( especially in a humpy year) smelt......folks sometimes just can't make themselves stop harvesting. Legal or criminal, how much is enough? I know I'm not the only one who stops chasing a specie when I have enough, but some never quit? How do we educate new harvesters to realize they've caught enough? Hint; when your neighbors start turning down fresh crab.....thats a clue to hang up the pots for a week or two! 3. lines of dead fish on the dock. I saw someone posting that it is a good ego booster for some? A couple of generations ago draping a dead deer on the front fender of your car for the drive home was good for the ego. Most of us figured out that does more harm than good.

Please excuse the generic 'we', as I am playing devils advocate a bit here, but not too shabby of an idea to take a hard look at our own actions before we pile up stones for throwin'!

Upvote 0

TunaHore

World Champion Boat Ho
    Jun 5, 2012
    Island
    Name
    Tuck
    Boat
    Carolina Dory
    He is an example where we would rather bicker about whether to post pictures or not rather than focus on the message. I have only been on BD for a couple of years, and I have seen so many posts start and end the same way.

We are advised over and over that the posting of ample harvest and photos is a bad idea. There are groups that compile that data as evidence against us. And every thread turns into an argument, that I caught these legally, cared for them properly and every bit was eaten, I am going to post my photos. Guys - the people compiling this data aren't going to verify your processing and handling. They are going to use a single angler selling sport caught fish and extrapolate that many fisherman are stacking fish like cordwood week after week.

Just like there are good and bad amongst anglers, so too are there good and bad amongst conservationist. And therefore some of the conservationist are overzealous are more interested in control over humans rather than the best interest of the species. Those zealots are the ones out compiling data off the internet to skew and extrapolate data to make their point.

They only have to catch one sportie selling their catch, and then point to data, where users stack fish on the dock week after week. Extrapolating the details to reflect all users who display their harvest – especially if they can spin the catch as excessive. This is all about swaying the public opinion, not reality or the state of the fishery. If the zealots have hundreds of photos of what could be perceived as excessive harvest, they can sway a non-fishing public.

No one is accusing you of wrong-doing, when they recommend not posting big numbers and pictures. The recommendation to censor some details is based on evidence that doing the contrary has and is placing our fishing rights (or should I say privileges) at risk.

Reactions: Rpcole and wils
    Upvote 0

Hoghunter

Dec 2, 2006
    Woodinville, WA
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    nonya
    In my opinion it will be ego's that eventually bring limits to albacore if nothing else (such as the illegal sales) does first. In this day and age of the internet and posting glory shots everything is there on the internet for everyone to see. Everybody wants to one up the next guy on how many they caught and how many times they plugged the boat. It's gut check time folks. Stroke your ego or have fishing opportunities for the next generation and thereafter.

I grew up fishing in a day and age where you stroked yourself when you did well rather than relying on posting a ton of pictures to prove you can catch fish. You shared information in a heart beat with friends and family. I still live by that motto. I like anyone else loves to get into a batch of fish and hammer them. But I also have a limit. I won't let fish rot in my freezer. I like several other's love to give fish to family and friends. I've never sold a fish and never will as it's not worth the consequence.

I totally believe there are people selling tuna illegally. Let's face it there's not too many fisheries in Washington where you can get into bites like you can with tuna where you can potentially put dozens of fish in the boat. This makes it damn tempting for many folks to sell. It's like easy extra money for them.

Upvote 0

Fish Slapper

I would love to be your Captain for a day!
    Jul 30, 2008
    Tacoma,Wa
    www.markyoungbloodsportfishing.com
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    30 Ft "Pacific Addiction". 26.5 ft Alumaweld Columbia "Turbos Palace"
    Has nothing to do with it Mark. My last two boats were documented and I would've had to get all the permits and commercial license's stated by Mark C.

Yes I understand you have to have all the permits what I was asking is I thought one of the requirements was your boat had to be documented also.

Upvote 0

Titan

Jun 12, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    Name
    Kamen
    Boat
    Dinghy
    There used to be a sticky post in the WA saltwater fishing reports section warning about posting pictures and reports like that. Why was the sticky removed?

Upvote 0

Walker Inc.

Jun 24, 2013
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Name
    Patrick Walker
    Boat
    33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
    Your vessel does not have to be documented Mark. Just the required permits and safety gear. HMS permit has a spot for doc or state reg. number when you fill it out. I sent mine in a month ago

Upvote 0