Electric Fly Hunter
  • Apr 16, 2018
    San Clemente
    Name
    Dylan
    Boat
    none
    Hey BD,

Fished the vessel Fortune for the first time yesterday. Capt Shon Roberts at the helm. Rare open party 3/4day out of 22nd St. before the boat moves south to run trips out of SD. Really enjoyed fishing with these guys. We stuck local and fished barracuda and bass.

rsz_1screenshot_20210704-123648_gallery.jpg

I caught limits of tight pants!
    And more than a couple barracuda. Our morning stop made our day. Went to the zone along the local coast and Capt. did a couple laps to find some fish to anchor up on ourself. Jig chuckers commence. Guys throwing anything were bit- small jigs, hardbaits, full size surface iron, and bait. A few of us did a lot of damage on the bow with the jigs. I got 25 or 30 scooters, a few others got about the same. A couple short calicos caught on the surface jigs and folks fishing the bottom caught a handful of legal sand bass. We ended up with as many cudas as you wanted probably 125 or 150 for the boat. There were 2 giants in the 8-10lb class caught on bait. Most of our catch were legals and surface iron did generally get bigger bites. I think I only caught 2 shorts.
    rsz_20210704_123830.jpg

rsz_20210704_123837.jpg

This Tady 45 was brand new. I was getting bit on a medium slow retrieve

We knocked out limits of quality sculpin in the early afternoon, the bounced back inside to see if we could get some more action. The wind had picked up and threw the conditions off and nothing got with it again. Great fishing overall. In the morning the water was clean blue, 65-66⁰ and had current. Wide open cuda like that is damn near as fun as yellowtail fishing to me. Good luck to the Fortune in San Diego.

Last edited:

dctalk523

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 28, 2007
    OC
    Name
    ChoeMan
    Boat
    Never
    Throwing iron on the bow of the fortune can get tight. Good to see the fish are still biting.

Reactions: short-range
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great report and pics, FISH. Great boat=Great trip !.
    I too grew up on those local cuda. LOL
    7ft Roddy (wrapped by Leon of later Calstar ) Penn Jigmaster 500 ,and original Candy Bar Lures...
    common rig in the 60's. LOL

Reactions: Donkey Nick
    Upvote 0

Steve Francis

Sep 11, 2006
    --
    Name
    StephenKatSea
    Boat
    .--.
    Various SoCal species have been called the "perfect passenger" fish. The Pacific Barracuda has be one of the tops. They pull, but very catchable, they eat the iron and even dead bait. Minimal amount of chum is needed to keep them in the area.

Upvote 0