Offshore Limits of BFT at Tanner bank aboard the Amigo out of San Pedro

Socal blue

Mar 18, 2018
Long Beach
Name
Looking for food
Boat
Striper 19
Basic summary stats: Amigo, 2 night trip out of San Pedro. 15 passengers, 5 crew. Limits of BFT for all anglers (in the 20-40lb range) caught between 7:30am to 3:00 ish pm anchored at the Tanner bank area with the rest of the long range fleet. Nearly all BFT were caught on butt hooked live baits on 25-40lb flouro leaders paired with size 1 circle hooks. I used 25 and 30 lb flouro leader for all my hookups.

This was my first ever catch of blue fin, so naturally, I was stoked all day. Heart out and chomped. Tried colt sniper 80g silver and tady 45 mint colored surface for no bites. All tuna bites on live baits. We moved around for yellowtail on a high spot that yielded a bunch of fun bonito, but no YT hooked up. Tried for monster reds on another spot, but instead - giant whitefish and a bunch of random smaller rockfish types. Seals out there as well chomping on baits. Crazy they go that far out. We tried for larger BFT after dinner in the dark with knife jigs and flat falls for no bites.

However, to me, the real work was the rest of the work the crew did to make this happen. Captain Mark (? I believe) drove through the sloppy seas all night (the ride out there got more than a few seasoned passengers blowing chunks by early morning), found the fish, kept the deck hands humming, and all around made the day a great success. I am super impressed with the work ethic of the deck hands (Nick and Nick). They were up before us, helped us all day with tackle, tangles, coaching the retrieves and gaffing. After everyone was in bunks on the way back, they were up well into the night breaking down a boat full of fish. All day saying the same thing - follow your lines! keep your bait connection tight! - all while untangling a couple of novice anglers all day long. I mean, sure, if we are paying to be out that far, targeting a specific species of game fish, we should have at least a general sense of what we are doing on the rail to work together. But to never lose your cool when you have had little sleep and loose braid keeps coming from the same few people and still deal with all the passengers politely. Yeah - that's what good tips were made for. Class acts by those 2 deck hands all day long. Same scene every day with new faces and they keep it all together and help you on your way to fresh fish in your freezer.

The other passengers I met were more seasoned than I, but they had no problem helping me out and showing me a thing or two about my setups and gave out good tips on how best to land the finicky bft. Nice people without attitudes makes for a much easier solo trip.

In short, the ride out was a sloppy mess, but after fish started slapping onto the decks and limits started filling, smiles all around the boat. Seas calmed down for the rest of the day and really, I'm still stoked on a fantastic trip out with the Amigo crew and stoked on finally getting a blue fin of my own on the boat and on the table. After lots of chasing non-biting foamers closer to shore this summer, it’s nice to finally bring home the real deal.

20210923_222118.jpg

20210925_212138.jpg

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great Report/pics and NICE BLUEFIN!
    Congrats on you 1st, 2nd and more
    learning experiences this trip.

Upvote 0

Dolt Sniper

Sep 17, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Jesus
    Boat
    None
    The Amigo did it again today. I just saw that Damian's charter slayed. Limits by 10 a.m. according to his IG. And this was on an overnighter! Very impressive.

Upvote 0

Socal blue

Mar 18, 2018
    Long Beach
    Name
    Looking for food
    Boat
    Striper 19
    Initial cost for the trip for a leave at 10pm come back 5am the next next day was $349 for this boat. (Then there are all the other charges that go with it. Jackpot, food/drink, fish cleaning, tips - but that's all part of the game) - still stoked on that trip. Still eating tuna - totally working up my mercury limits this week. Title should change to - Limits of Mercury!

Reactions: Dolt Sniper
    Upvote 0