Limited Load on the RP

Jul 9, 2003
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
A couple quotes from the current Jerry Brown trip reports on the RP;

If your looking for limited load, this is the trip for you, at one point in the day there were only 4 fisherman at the rail, and two of those were on the kite. I don’t know if they are getting beat-up, or just enjoying their vacation. During that time, crew-member Doug, got a bait, and bang, after a short battle, a nice 160 pound Yellowfin hit the deck (Blacken Tuna In The Galley).

I don’t know what the future will bring, but I’ll take another two weeks of this any day. We are only on day three of fishing, and some of our anglers are converting back to their childhood days, taking naps in the middle of the day, and enjoying the weather.

redsnapper517

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 20, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
Royal Polaris
They are Doing Well .
Great Group of Guys that know how to fish & relax and enjoy the trip .

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
There comes a time in your fishing career when "quality time" and picking your shots becomes more important than "quantity" of fish you bring home.

Although Im older now.... my enthusiasm still remains child like. Nobody gets more excited about fishing than I. But after a few longer battles with the big boys during the day. ...maybe catching another wahoo today isn't that important. Picking your shots.

Most of that group of anglers typically has fished the longer trips for years. It's not their first....it won't be their last. They don't feel like they're missing anything if they're not in the water 24/7.
They've probably caught hundreds of tuna in their angling careers.... and this is what they believe a great vacation is about. Who are we to say? Good for them..... nothing to prove anymore is a good place to be.

I'll never forget the look on the deck hands face when after an hour of hard pulling....I purposely released a 200 lb. Tuna that was ready for gaffing. They were.pissed. I told them....He knew I beat him.... I knew I beat him.... you saw I beat him.... so put him on the "count". Just saying.... "vacation" means different things to different people. Didn't need another tuna photo to remember it all. Different strokes for different folks...

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
I aspire to be at that level someday

Historically this trip has allot of opportunitys and is a great trip to be on with lots of rail space. If I could choose any trip. This is the one.

Last edited:
Reactions: woodfish330

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Been on that one....it is GREAT! All the "rail room" you could ever want. No pandemonium after day 2 or 3 of fishing. Night fishing..... they asked if I'd wake them...or not....lol. Kite....If you love it like I do....you can get numerous turns.... just ask whoever's up next....sure you can have my turn.....they would say. All while watching the "blow outs" on that kite bait....cheering you on! It's a great trip....and those guys are some of the best company you could meet on a long one. So signing up for this one is a secret....If you really love to fish.

Reactions: vegasandre

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
I remember a couple of times on the these 18 day Limited load trips where they crushed them and they came back a day early (they would have to fight me if I was on that trip to come back early ,lol)

Update for 02/01
Hello everyone;

We’ll things are starting to slow down, but I think the weather has something to do with it. I felt like I was in San Francisco yesterday, overcast, cold, windy. I think it put a damper on the fisherman also. We had limited fisherman at the rail yesterday, and it showed in our counts.

At one point I did a count, and it was 2 anglers on the kite and two at the rail. The rest were reading, telling stories, or just relaxing waiting on their kite turn. We are hoping things will pick back up tomorrow, especially the weather.

Even though the count was down, the Yellowfin were all over the 100 pound mark, with most in the 120 to 140 range. Due to the lack of fisherman at the rail, we did some trolling for Wahoo, we managed a few, but the tax man was out in full force.

So looking forward to tomorrow, wish us luck. Team R/p

🙏
8/24
🏀

“BeNt RoDs 4 LiFe”

canyonman

Dec 2, 2005
brooklyn
Name
joe
Boat
Independence
Love the limited load. Have no problem paying a few bucks extra

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
I like kite fishing just for the blow out. Would prefer a flyline bite but a kite bite is a boil for sure. So I wont pass it up anymore. Well normally its a boil bite

Was lucky enough to share a hotel room with JB in puerta vallarta. Before boarding for Clip. Wealth of knowledge. Such a classic match. Surfer fisher 26 year old scrub with JB

Then did a 17 dayer with him. Got along great. He sent me a big box of spectra including the first run of JB 60# hollow. Took the 60# hollow to Lupe with sato crimps and 40# fluoro. Crushed them. Really grateful for that gift

Would had been cool to do his 18 dayer with him but I won't get the chance

For straight spectra with swimbaits in kelp. Solid slices kelp better then hollow

Last edited:

dtf

Apr 16, 2004
So. Bay Ca
Name
David
Boat
22ft, Pursuit
I was fortune enough to do three JB trips with him, great guy. Have not talked to him in awhile, but last time he sounded just like the good old days .

Reactions: ZZZZZ