Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Jamie, thanks for your report. I get the spirit it was offered and it’s fun getting fired up for my next trip.

In defense of that cricket flipper, Jon Scobey, maybe the fishing was over and done for that Wahoo Bingo. If not, I just don’t get it. I fish in Keen sandals most of the time and the rubber toe cap is thicker than the rubber on the toe of most boots.

This isn’t a whistleblower, nor an impeachment. Don’t get your panties in a bunch and shoot the messenger if the message has merit. Tacitly accepting the wearing of flip flops is a bad example for newer anglers heading out on trips to fish Wahoo, and pointing out that it’s not OK is the thing to do.

Pictures are great, but when they tell the wrong story, maybe a word or two of explanation along with them would prevent the reactions you needed to explain after the fact.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Shon, if your setup was 75 yards of 50 lb mono connected to the 3’ piece of fluorocarbon, sure, I do that, too. But spectra to the short leader just didn’t work for me. But, it provided some humor.

Reactions: Shon
Upvote 0

fishordie

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
I forgot to mention Ralph Mikkelsen's (The Long Ranger) hand made beautful plaques and trophies that Ralph makes special and donates for our trips... Super cool pieces of Long Range history that are real treats for their recipients.. Thank You Ralph.. Hope to see you soon at the shop or on the boat..

Jamie..

Reactions: Tim Turis
Upvote 0

NaplesJohn

Never Forget 343
Jun 9, 2010
Port Aransas, TX, USA
Name
John
Boat
Wilderness Systems T-160...and just sold the boat!!!
Looks like you had a great trip. I appreciate the report as we see so few on "LR Report Page" these days. I just got off the Indy, with a 2.5 days spent at the Lupe, and agree the Ridge/Rocks is more my style. I can relate to your pain as I went 1 for 11 on the skin this trip...ughh

Reactions: fishordie
Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    That’s exactly what i did Steve. I actually thought my hook up to landing fish ratio was very high because of this technique. So my set up was Okuma Andros 12slla with 65# spectra tied to 75 yards 50# and then to a swivel with 3ft of 130# floro to bomb or raider jig. That’ was last year and I landed 14 wahoo my first time ever fishing for them. I’d say that’s pretty damn good.? And lucky!!
    BTW- 7 more days!!

That's how I rig my Salas 6x and have killed the hoo with it. Only one bite off so far and that damn dumb fish hit the black swivel 3 ft from the jig.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    That's how I rig my Salas 6x and have killed the hoo with it. Only one bite off so far and that damn dumb fish hit the black swivel 3 ft from the jig.

This might be a dumb question, but I've only ever caught 2 'hoo, and hope to get a few more in six weeks - could one use this setup with bait? Or would that heavy section of 130 lb. impede the swimming of the average/small size 'dines it seems are prevalent this year?

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    This might be a dumb question, but I've only ever caught 2 'hoo, and hope to get a few more in six weeks - could one use this setup with bait? Or would that heavy section of 130 lb. impede the swimming of the average/small size 'dines it seems are prevalent this year?

you could absolutely try it but you will get bit off a lot. Fluorocarbon is harder then mono but not as hard as wire.

You can buy the pre-made wire leaders with a hook on them at the landing and from the boat once you get on. It’s cheap and easy. I stopped making my own wire leaders a long time ago.

if you want to make your own a haywire twist is easy to learn and it does help kill time on the ride down and isn’t a big investment in gear. All you need is a good pair of wire cutters, a good crimper, black rings, some wire and sleeves

Reactions: nicodemus
    Upvote 0

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    So...difference being that with a lure, you are already reeling and will pull the lure quickly into the fishes mouth, thus the 130 lb is fine; but with bait, the fish has a better chance of chomping down on the line...is that about right?
    I used wire last year, got bit off both through the wire and up above on the mono when the damn things were inhaling everything. I'm thinking with wire, I'll go a little longer on the leader, like 3 ft. And maybe try the fluoro leader with jigs.

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    So...difference being that with a lure, you are already reeling and will pull the lure quickly into the fishes mouth, thus the 130 lb is fine; but with bait, the fish has a better chance of chomping down on the line...is that about right?
    I used wire last year, got bit off both through the wire and up above on the mono when the damn things were inhaling everything. I'm thinking with wire, I'll go a little longer on the leader, like 3 ft. And maybe try the fluoro leader with jigs.

Try using the longer jigs like a Salas 6x. It gives the Wahoo more to grab and hold then the smaller 6x jr. This helps to avoid getting bit off or them sliding up the jig. At least that’s my two cents. Just make sure you never stop winding

I always go with the lightest wire possible, either 35lb or Close. It’s only good for one fish no matter what lb wire you fish so go light and play for more bites

Reactions: nicodemus and ZZZZZ
    Upvote 0

fishordie

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 31, 2005
    Calabasas CA
    Name
    Jamie
    Boat
    2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness

Yo NB,

Actually a great question.. My own opinion, which is shared by many others is use heavy mono or flouro for Bombs and light wire to light line for bait.. My personal preferances are as follows:

100 pound Short casting type leader for Bombs with 25 - 30 pounds minium of drag.. Wind to boat.. Real big Wahoo might get sideways and take a short run of maybe 40 feet but most will come right to the boat with this rig and a smooth, fast and steady grind...Especially on a properly used, High speed spinner. LOL

60 Pound Short casting top shot for Surface Iron.. In my experience, I rarely lose a Surface iron, slowly retrieved while fishing Wahoo.. I find the jig swims better with a lighter top shot than with short 100 pound and 60 pound is a great balance for pulling 25 pounds + of drag.. I cannot get enough drag pressure on 40 or even 50 pound mono though the surface iron might swim just a bit better with the lighter string... the 60 Pound is a balance of swim pattern and full pull-ability at least for me. Most folks have not tried the surface iron, such as the JRI 2 with J hook, yet but it is a blast.

32 - 37 pound single strand, haywire twisted, or similar titananium with the manufacturers recommended knots or attachment methods for bait. Haywire twisted leaders, made in advance of the trip, for me, as I feel it has better strength than crimping..However crimping is fine too. What ever the angler is most comfortable with. I generally will use 30 or 40 pound Mono or Flouro with enough length to cast and or lob the bait thru the mono. I prefer a smaller cheap J hook in size 1 or 1/0. I find I get bit better with the smaller hook regardless of bait size. I see no problem with hook pulls. Also, consider trying a small sliding egg sinker in certain conditions.

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT: If you are using the small rings to connect your wire to your plastic line, make sure there are no burrs or sharp spots anywhere on the lot of rings you are using.. All too often rings that are stamped do not have rounded edges.. Check your rings before the trip and when making your wire leaders. Throw out any rings that are not rounded slightly on all egdes and even in the middle hole.

The key to bait and wire is using less drag and knowing how much your wire connections can hold, especially at hook set. By testing your connections and wire leaders at home, using a pull scale, you can start to see where the breaking strengths are both during a shock set as well as in a straight steady line pull. Once you have tested and re-tested on multiple tries, you can then get a feel for how to set your drags both at the lighter hook set and then bumped up slightly after the first run or two. As in most all fishing situations, the more you can keep the fishes face pointed at you the sooner and more often you will land the fish.

As a note: There are times I will run a bare hook or wired hook, with a small sliding egg sinker to get the bait down just a bit for Wahoo. Though it seems the fish are feeding on the surface, more often than not they are eating a bit below.. If birds are slamming down on your fly lined baits, driving you crazy, a very small slider can be just the ticket to getting bit as well to keep those birds from snapping up your perfectfly pinned on bait.

Using a light line technique when on bait means you have several more runs by the Wahoo, giving them a chance to bite thru, but you will not snap the connections during the hook up where so many fish are lost.. If you are not sure, have the crew set your drags for the line test and leader test you are using..However, being self contained, by practicing, testing and gaining experience is so much more efficient than relying on the crew.

Be prepared to run like heck to follow a running hoo on bait. However, if you start out and stay in front of your bait, knowing where that bait is at all times (Not just thinking you know were it is), there will be fewer times that the skin is at the bow while you are still at the stern.. So often times, bait guys are not aware of where their freely smimming bait, that seems to be infront of them, are actually 30 - 50 feet up or down boat of them..This is often the reason it seems that the hoo has hauled azz up the boat but in reality, when the line starts singing across the water, it is because the line is bowed and is coming tight, as the angler figures out where the fish and bait actually connected. Not always, but more often than folks realize, this is the case. By the way, at times, we are all guilty of this scenario be it skin or tuna or ??.. It can happen.. Our job is to limit the number of those times.

Of course, there are times that Hoo just plain old hauls butt when fishing lighter drag on bait.. Get your track shoes on and don't wait to run after that thing without bowling over your fellow anglers.. Be aware of the lines and anglers around you, every time you have a bait in the water, so you are prepared to have a controlled run up or down boat. Look ahead of you to see if you need to go up or under other anglers as your fish is heading for Hawaii.. or so it seems... Fast but in control... LOOK WHERE YOU ARE GOING AND DO NOT PUT YOUR HEAD DOWN TO LOOK AT YOUR REEL or to see if your winding level.

DO NOT EXPECT OTHERS to always get out of your way.. Contrary to popular belief, the angler on the fish is really in charge of what happens when others are around them.. Yeah, I know, sounds wrong, but, at the end of the day, running into others, not knowing what side of the other anglers your line is on or screaming like a maniac expecting others to pay attention, is not going to yield the results you want. Use your big boy voice to let folks know you are coming up the rail well in advance of you getting to them.. Screaming like a banshee, running with your back bent and head down rarely gets the results you are looking for.. As a note: being in full control at all times during a fishing session is worth its weight in gold, less stress and less fatigue.

More Wahoo are lost on bait, bombs and trolling gear when the angler lifts their rod tip to try to pump and wind, set the hook or just because it seems like the right thing to do.. It isn't. Point the tip at the fish, wind into the fish, and just before you lift the rod tip remember: Don't do it. Keep the rod pointed at the fish, keep winding even if you are not sure if you can get a crank. Don't be late to wind when that fish turns or shakes its head. Keeping maximum pressure as it applies to the line test and quality of your connections, will limit or eliminate those nasty head shakes.

As a note: It is when we think we understand and have this Wahoo thing figured out that we get bit in the butt.. We lose jigs/bombs when we have never lost them before.. We continue to bring back bent wire leaders or lose the fish before the gaff.. We get snake bit even though we do the same thing we have done before.. I always take the time to look and see what the hot sticks are doing (if I am not the hot stick) yet emulating their method still may not work when you are having the day from hell.. After all, this is just the nature of Wahoo and all other fishing.. Some days you got it, some days you don't. The key is to celebrate every day on the water, good or bad as far as our daily catch goes, and figure out how to make ourselves and others around us have a great time... Even when we get our azzes handed to us by those raskley finned critters.. As you get more experience, hopefully, those number of poor catching days are reduced. After all, tomorrow gives us another chance at greatness or even reasonableness.

Have a great season.

Jamie

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Russ Scholl

Almost A Member
    Apr 1, 2018
    Tuscaloosa
    Name
    Russ Scholl
    Boat
    Kayaks
    Yo NB,

Actually a great question.. My own opinion, which is shared by many others is use heavy mono or flouro for Bombs and light wire to light line for bait.. My personal preferances are as follows:

100 pound Short casting type leader for Bombs with 25 - 30 pounds minium of drag.. Wind to boat.. Real big Wahoo might get sideways and take a short run of maybe 40 feet but most will come right to the boat with this rig and a smooth, fast and steady grind...Especially on a properly used, High speed spinner. LOL

60 Pound Short casting top shot for Surface Iron.. In my experience, I rarely lose a Surface iron, slowly retrieved while fishing Wahoo.. I find the jig swims better with a lighter top shot than with short 100 pound and 60 pound is a great balance for pulling 25 pounds + of drag.. I cannot get enough drag pressure on 40 or even 50 pound mono though the surface iron might swim just a bit better with the lighter string... the 60 Pound is a balance of swim pattern and full pull-ability at least for me. Most folks have not tried the surface iron, such as the JRI 2 with J hook, yet but it is a blast.

32 - 37 pound single strand, haywire twisted, or similar titananium with the manufacturers recommended knots or attachment methods for bait. Haywire twisted leaders, made in advance of the trip, for me as I feel it has better strength than crimping..However crimping is fine too. What ever the angler is most comfortable with. I generally will use 30 or 40 pound Mono or Flouro with enough length to cast and or lob the bait thru the mono.

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT: If you are using the small rings to connect your wire to your plastic line, make sure there are no burrs or sharp spots on the lot of rings you are using.. All too often rings that are stamped do not have rounded edges.. Check your rings before the trip and when making your wire leaders. Throw out any rings that are not rounded slightly on both sides.

The key to bait and wire is using less drag and knowing how much your wire connections can hold, especially at hook set. By testing your connections and wire leaders at home, using a pull scale, you can start to see where the breaking strengths are both during a shock set as well as in a straight line pull. Once you have tested and re-tested on multiple tries, you can then get a feel for how to set your drags both at the lighter hook set and then bumped up slightly after the first run or two. As in most all fishing situations, the more you can keep the fishes face pointed at you the sooner and more often you will land the fish.

Using a light line technique when on bait means you have several more runs by the Wahoo, giving them a chance to bite thru, but you will not snap the connections during the hook up where so many fish are lost.. If you are not sure, have the crew set your drags for the line test and leader test you are using..

Be prepared to run like heck to follow a running hoo on bait. However, if you start out and stay in front of your bait, knowing where that bait is at all times (Not just thinking you know were it is), there will be fewer times that the skin is at the bow while you are still at the stern.. So often times, bait guys are not be aware of where their freely smimming bait, that seems to be infront of them, are actually 30 - 50 feet up or down boat of them..This is often the reason it seems that the hoo has hauled azz up the boat but in reality, when the line starts singing across the water, it is because the line is bowed and is coming tight, as the angler figures out where the fish and bait actually connected. Not always, but more often than folks realize, this is the case. By the way, at times, we are all guilty of this scenario be it skin or tuna or ??.. It can happen.. Our job is to limit the number of those times.

More Wahoo are lost on bait, bombs and trolling gear when the angler lifts their rod tip to try to pump and wind, set the hook or just because it seems like the right thing to do.. It isn't.
    Point the tip at the fish, wind into the fish, and just before you lift the rod tip remember: Don't do it. Keep the rod pointed at the fish, keep winding even if you are not sure if you can get a crank. Don't be late to wind when that fish turns or shakes its head.

As a note: It is when we think we understand and have this Wahoo thing figured out that we get bit in the butt.. We lose jigs/bombs when we have never lost them before.. We continue to bring back bent wire leaders or lose the fish before the gaff.. We get snake bit even though we do the same thing we have done before.. After all, this is just the nature of Wahoo and all other fishing.. Some days you got it, some days you don't. The key is to celebrate every day on the water, good or bad as far as our daily catch goes, and figure out how to make ourselves and others around us have a great time... Even when we get our azzes handed to us by those raskley finned critters.. As you get more experience, hopefully, those number of poor catching days are reduced. After all, tomorrow gives us another chance at greatness or even reasonaableness.

Be prepared to run like heck to follow a running hoo on bait. However, if you start out and stay in front of your bait, knowing where that bait is at all times (Not just thinking you know were it is), there will be fewer times that the skin is at the bow while you are still at the stern.. So often times, bait guys are not be aware of where their freely smimming bait, that seems to be infront of them, are actually 30 - 50 feet up or down boat of them..This is often the reason it seems that the hoo has hauled azz up the boat but in reality, when the line starts singing across the water, it is because the line is bowed and is coming tight, as the angler figures out where the fish and bait actually connected were not directly in front of them giving the fish a head start running away up or down the boat from the angler. Not always, but more often than folks realize, this is the case. By the way, at times, we are all guilty of this scenario be it skin or tuna or ??.. It can happen.. Our job is to limit the number of those times where our baits end up somewhere we did not know they were.

Have a great season.

Jamie
    Great stuff!

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    Yo NB,

32 - 37 pound single strand, haywire twisted, or similar titananium with the manufacturers recommended knots or attachment methods for bait. Haywire twisted leaders, made in advance of the trip, for me as I feel it has better strength than crimping..However crimping is fine too. What ever the angler is most comfortable with. I generally will use 30 or 40 pound Mono or Flouro with enough length to cast and or lob the bait thru the mono. I prefer a smaller cheap J hook in size 1 or 1/0. I find I get bit better with the smaller hook. I see no problem with hook pulls. Also, consider trying a small sliding sinker in certain conditions.

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT: If you are using the small rings to connect your wire to your plastic line, make sure there are no burrs or sharp spots on the lot of rings you are using.. All too often rings that are stamped do not have rounded edges.. Check your rings before the trip and when making your wire leaders. Throw out any rings that are not rounded slightly on both sides.

The key to bait and wire is using less drag and knowing how much your wire connections can hold, especially at hook set. By testing your connections and wire leaders at home, using a pull scale, you can start to see where the breaking strengths are both during a shock set as well as in a straight line pull. Once you have tested and re-tested on multiple tries, you can then get a feel for how to set your drags both at the lighter hook set and then bumped up slightly after the first run or two. As in most all fishing situations, the more you can keep the fishes face pointed at you the sooner and more often you will land the fish.

As a note: There are times I will run a bare hook or wired hook, with a small sliding sinker to get the bait down just a bit for Wahoo. Though it seems the fish are feeding on the surface, more often than note they are eating a bit below.. If birds slamming down on your fly lined baits, a very small slider can be just the ticket to getting bit as well to keep those birds from snapping up your perfectfly pinned on bait.

Using a light line technique when on bait means you have several more runs by the Wahoo, giving them a chance to bite thru, but you will not snap the connections during the hook up where so many fish are lost.. If you are not sure, have the crew set your drags for the line test and leader test you are using..

Be prepared to run like heck to follow a running hoo on bait. However, if you start out and stay in front of your bait, knowing where that bait is at all times (Not just thinking you know were it is), there will be fewer times that the skin is at the bow while you are still at the stern.. So often times, bait guys are not be aware of where their freely smimming bait, that seems to be infront of them, are actually 30 - 50 feet up or down boat of them..This is often the reason it seems that the hoo has hauled azz up the boat but in reality, when the line starts singing across the water, it is because the line is bowed and is coming tight, as the angler figures out where the fish and bait actually connected. Not always, but more often than folks realize, this is the case. By the way, at times, we are all guilty of this scenario be it skin or tuna or ??.. It can happen.. Our job is to limit the number of those times.

Of course, there are times that Hoo just plain old hauls butt when fishing lighter drag on bait.. Get your track shoes on and don't wait to run after that thing without bowling over your fellow anglers.. Be aware of the lines and anglers around you so you are prepared to have a controlled run up or down boat. Look forward to see if you need to go up or under other anglers as your fish is heading for Hawaii.. or so it seems... Fast but in control... LOOK WHERE YOU ARE GOING AND DO NOT PUT YOUR HEAD DOWN TO LOOK AT YOUR REEL or to see if your winding level. Use your big boy voice to let folks know you are coming up the rail well in advance of you getting to them.. Screaming like a banshee, running with your back bent and head down rarely gets the results you are looking for.. As a note: being in full control at all times during a fishing session is worth its weight in gold, less stress and less fatigue.

More Wahoo are lost on bait, bombs and trolling gear when the angler lifts their rod tip to try to pump and wind, set the hook or just because it seems like the right thing to do.. It isn't. Point the tip at the fish, wind into the fish, and just before you lift the rod tip remember: Don't do it. Keep the rod pointed at the fish, keep winding even if you are not sure if you can get a crank. Don't be late to wind when that fish turns or shakes its head.

As a note: It is when we think we understand and have this Wahoo thing figured out that we get bit in the butt.. We lose jigs/bombs when we have never lost them before.. We continue to bring back bent wire leaders or lose the fish before the gaff.. We get snake bit even though we do the same thing we have done before.. I always take the time to look and see what the hot sticks are doing (if I am not the hot stick) yet emulating their method still may not work when you are having the day from hell.. After all, this is just the nature of Wahoo and all other fishing.. Some days you got it, some days you don't. The key is to celebrate every day on the water, good or bad as far as our daily catch goes, and figure out how to make ourselves and others around us have a great time... Even when we get our azzes handed to us by those raskley finned critters.. As you get more experience, hopefully, those number of poor catching days are reduced. After all, tomorrow gives us another chance at greatness or even reasonaableness.

Have a great season.

Jamie

Yes, thank you SO much for taking the time with this info, Jamie. I know there's a lot about wahoo fishing on this board, but I really appreciate this input. We're heading out the day after Thanksgiving on the Supreme for a 7-day. Given the size of the YF this year and the apparently outstanding wahoo fishing, even if they get a 'Lupe permit, I imagine we'll hit the Ridge/Rocks.

I'm going to go full-bore after getting wahoo. Since my party is all using boat gear, and I imagine that'll equate to 3, at most 4 set-ups per person, I may rent a couple extra rods/reels at the landing. That way, I can have a couple dedicated sticks for bombs/iron and a couple for bait, all for wahoo, allowing a quick swap out during a hot bite.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Outhouse

Feb 13, 2007
    Germantown, TN
    Name
    Jon Scobey
    Boat
    Titanic
    Safety

eyes on your jig, all the way, you’re not going to miss the ocean

and flip flops with Wahoo? I watched two guys fish a 3 day in bare feet, now that’s a special kind of stupid. I was surprised the crew allowed it.
    Steve, that was me in flip flops. We were in a hot tuna bite and I nearly stayed in the galley but said what the heck. I pitched a sardine out with 30# floro and bam. Fortunately, the hook was in the corner of his mouth. Also, I’m the unfortunate angler that lost the Intruder lure. To say I was sick is an understatement.

Upvote 0