I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
Good Evening All,

Another amazing Gallagher/Excel charter is in the books.. I believe this is our 19th year of the crazy, silly, absurd, disturbing, inane and otherwise phenomenal event.. Because of the rules of etiquette associated with Bloody Decks, I will leave out many of the more, shall we say, risqué pictures from this write up. However, I will put one picture of our latest charter flag from G. Blackwell in that although it might be considered bad taste, it really is pretty much descriptive, without words, of the craziness of our charter. I will not post pics of items that, believe it or not, would violate the rules of the forum. Please do not ask how much worse it can be than the posted flag... Believe me, It can be worse... LOL..

We left on Sept. 19th and returned the 29th.. 10 days went by in a blink. We all knew that the timing could be a bit weird in that 2 Hurricanes/Tropical depressions had formed down south and were possibly heading our way. Although our charter is designed for the ultimate in mixed bag fishing, touted as Alijos Rocks or Bust, Captain Justin always puts the safety of his passengers first. The Skipper kept us informed every day of the plans, and as per our usual Gallagher luck, we were able to bypass the storms, head to the rocks, cover a ton of the Ridge and probably fished 8 of the 10 days.

Alijos Rocks, for so many in our industry, is a Mecca destination.. Every-time the stones appear on the horizon and then become our central hub as we troll for Wahoo, there is something reverential and peaceful that affects most all of us.. I lost count years ago of how many times I have visited the stones, but regardless, I am still struck, each and every time, by something internally, that says I am back where I belong..

The water/weather at the Rocks was just a bit snotty but the Big Excel handles these conditions with ease. Only one wave came over the top drenching a few of the folks but other than that it remained overcast and a bit chopped up.. But nothing we could not easily handle.

I Hooked the first Wahoo for the boat, in the grey light, on a JRI Green Hooicide Direct tie Bomb (Super hot bombs) around 4:30 or 5 AM, at anchor, after I saw someone get snipped off on their bait rig, but I lost it at the boat.. Bummer. After that I struggled, getting short bit about 18 times for the day on various artificial lure rigs, without getting a hook set until the second half day at the Rocks. It was a real lesson in patience. I certainly caught my share of good natured ribbing for going Oh Fer a ton when the Wahoo fishing was pretty good. I have never had that kind of day Wahoo fishing and I can only hope I never have it again. Hey it's fishing so I lit a cigar, made a cocktail and had a great day and evening of laughing and zaniness.. Not much of a down side. However, I more than made up for this personal day of Wahoo Doldrum for the rest of the trip, catching a ton of Wahoo, using so many various methods. My memory is not great but after a day and a half at the Rocks, we left for the overnight run to Ridge with around 36 Alijos Wahoo and some other Pelagic and Non Pelagic critters.

We went south and then turned up to the North as we kept behind the storm along the Ridge. Well over a hundred more Ridge caught Wahoo to 65 pounds with lots of those great 40 - 60 pounders along with the normal sized Skin, Tuna to 45 pounds, Yellowtail, Dorado, Big Grouper, Reds and Keeper Lings were on the menu, many of which were limit style fishing. We did not go for the Big Blue fin nor did we do the Lupe thing. Though those destinations are awesome, they really are not our cup of tea for this Charter.

Once again, Our Gallagher Charter, ended up being one of the Top Wahoo catching Trips of the season. We even had a monster Wahoo stop with boiling fish and hook ups all along the boat. Limit style fishing (As much as anyone wanted) of YFT, Yellowtail and Bottom critters.. Nothing huge on the Tuna side but if you weeded thru the little ones you could get a bunch of nice gradeTuna up to about 45 pounds.

I suppose it is the combination of a great Crew and Captains, some luck and some real desire on the parts of the anglers. Add in a huge dosage of Fun, on-going ridiculous antics and a general attitude of who the F....K cares what anyone thinks about our always good natured silliness and you have the makings of a super positive team attitude.. We even were treated to a sun down Green Flash.

The Excel Team of Skipper Justin, Captain Rene, Tim, Jeremiah, Vance and Nick along with Jake and Charles in the Galley and Jason in the office. Each and everyone of them, individually and as a team, off the hook great....As always. Maaan, I love the Big And Beautiful Excel and her amazing staff and crew.

A huge Thank You to our sponsors, Generous gift givers, etc. Our passengers always donate to the huge giveaways. And of course, our Charter Master and My dear friend Peaches who probably spends somewhere between 4 to 6 times the cost of the trip to make sure this Charter is the best of the best.. Give Aways probably take a total of 8 hours throughout the trip to distribute.. Tons of Top quality Reels, Rods, Jigs, Bombs and lord knows how many other items...

The Custom Long Sleeve Shirts, 50 SPF, for every passenger, Pat Gives away are each custom made with name and individual Tuna Colors on each shirt.. Our Motto: I Love This Sh....T. Not to mention a few gifts that were certainly useable just not for fishing.. Gary G. is a genius, make that Evil Genius, when it comes to certain Flags and "Special Gifts".

I also want to give a special THANK YOU to Marc Monteforte. This man spends endless hours and days taking thousands of professional photos, edits them and then will send a DVD to each passenger.. This is an un-believable gesture that Marc takes great pride in.. We, the Gallagher Charter, are blessed to have him aboard.

Those generously donating or sponsoring, in no particular order. A huge THANK YOU for making our trips so special.

Bob Sands Tackle
Eric's Tackle
JRI Custom Lures, Hats, bombs, etc.
Avet Reels
Steve M. Custom Rods
John R. Rudderhood Rods
Augie R.
Earl M. Rod
John H.
Andy K.
Mike C.
Josh A.
AND OF COURSE RALPH (THE LONG RANGER) MIKKELSEN for making and creating his special plaques and trophies that are given away.. Ralph makes these up from used trolling lures and other memorabilia that he has used on beautiful wood backgrounds..

What Worked:

Most everyone who threw the newer direct tie JRI Wahoo bomb got bit. (And everyone received at least one JRI Wahoo Bomb.). You absolutely need a bunch of these in your box. This Trip the Green was hot with Blue Silver, Orange Black and Purple/black, Purple/Pink and Pink accounting for some of those skinny bastardos.

Josh A. used a Capt. Jimmy Wahoo Bomb in Bloody Runner very successfully at the Rocks. Other Jimmy Bomb Colors worked as well. Green again was excellent throughout the trip.

Once the water conditions flattened out at The Ridge, the JRI 2 with J Hook was hot, Hot, HOT.. I pull this lure super slow, allowing for the biggest Kick the jig can give and Man, it got bit really well.. Not to mention, super fun to watch. I wish I had fished it more but I got 2 fish on that and a ton of visually radical short bites on the surface.

Two of my Halco 135 Poppers were eaten into oblivion by Tuna with a greater percentage of larger models than bait or other lures. Though I did not sink a hook into it, damn it, a Wahoo tried to eat that Popper knocking it 3 feet into the air as the Skin went 5 foot airborne during the miss in front of the Skipper and I..About 75 yards away from the boat. I love catching Wahoo on the Popper but it did not happen this trip.

We were lucky to have 2 early model JRI Hooker Intruders in Purple/Black.. only trolled by 3 folks. Both worked exceptionally well with 3 for Augie and 2 for Steve (Until a Marlin bit it off while being trolled by an un-named brother from another mother when he gave the lure a shot).. Ugggg.. that was one costly Marlin).

Spinning Rods and Quality Spinning reels were joyously used by many of our anglers for both artificial lures and bait.. Guys were throwing Poppers, Surface iron, Bombs, etc. further and more efficiently than ever before.. On the rare instances where I threw bait on my spinners and Bamboo rod, it was an instant hook up resulting in Wahoo, Tuna and Yellowtail.. Along with a few lesser desirable sized fish.

The Majority of trolling lures used were the wonderful Nomad 200 Minnows that worked great.. Certain colors seemed to work better than others and conditions seemed to matter in color selection but these lures work fantastic as long as they are trolled on the center 3 positions.

John H. used a standard Salas 6X Heavy in Scrambled egg to land Wahoo..

I used, over and over again, when fishing at the bottom, a JRI 6 in Blue/White that most times out-fished the bait guys for bigger Tuna, Yellowtail, Big Lings and other bottom critters tied onto a 60 Pound leader.. No Paint was left on the Jig by the end of the trip. The extra weight of this Brass based Jig allows for this smaller jig to get down to the bottom even with decent current.

I only fished Artificial lures except on my little Bamboo and ice fishing rods which had bait.

Bait was hot but accounted for so many losses. Like all trips involving Wahoo, our final tally of Skin does not come close to revealing how many of those Blind Bastards were hooked and found their freedom. If I note there were at least 800 hookups, especially on bait, I think I would be way underestimating the total. Short bites accounted for at least that many on bombs and trolling lures. The number of lost fish was staggering. I caught the skipper shaking his head and talking to himself on way too many occasions..but, that is Wahoo fishing.... I can only surmise that situation will never change.. Good thing Justin has a strong Neck.

Here are a few pics to go along with the report.. Enjoy

Jamie

IMG_0074.JPG fullsizeoutput_169e.jpeg fullsizeoutput_16d7.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1626.jpeg fullsizeoutput_16d2.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1636.jpeg fullsizeoutput_16f8.jpeg fullsizeoutput_169d.jpeg fullsizeoutput_16d1.jpeg fullsizeoutput_16ce.jpeg fullsizeoutput_16ec.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_172b.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_163c.jpeg fullsizeoutput_16cb.jpeg fullsizeoutput_16d9.jpeg fullsizeoutput_16e3.jpeg fullsizeoutput_16c7.jpeg fullsizeoutput_16c2.jpeg fullsizeoutput_16dd.jpeg fullsizeoutput_16be.jpeg fullsizeoutput_16bb.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1646.jpeg fullsizeoutput_164a.jpeg fullsizeoutput_164d.jpeg fullsizeoutput_16a4.jpeg fullsizeoutput_16ac.jpeg fullsizeoutput_16b1.jpeg fullsizeoutput_165c.jpeg fullsizeoutput_169f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_170d.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1702.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_16fd.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1662.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1715.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1719.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_171f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_16f2.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1724.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wtrbrdm

1143 Miles From The Landing
Apr 5, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
Name
Ben
Boat
The X
1. Either you are a time traveler or.....

2. 16 days for a trip write up.....absolutely unacceptable Jamie. I only forgive you because I'm sure you've been too busy answering texts and....well....that whole Dodgers thing ;-) At least you still have your Chargers....Rams....oh my apologies. I'll just drop that mic riiiiiiiiiiiight here.

Great write up and great pics.... !!!!!

Reactions: Shon and fishordie
Upvote 0

Russ Scholl

Almost A Member
Apr 1, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Name
Russ Scholl
Boat
Kayaks
Good Evening All,

Another amazing Gallagher/Excel charter is in the books.. I believe this is our 19th year of the crazy, silly, absurd, disturbing, inane and otherwise phenomenal event.. Because of the rules of etiquette associated with Bloody Decks, I will leave out many of the more, shall we say, risqué pictures from this write up. However, I will put one picture or our latest charter flag from G. Blackwell in that although it might be considered bad taste, it really is pretty much descriptive, without words, of the craziness of our charter. I will not post pics of items that, believe it or not, would violate the rules of the forum. Please do not ask how much worse it can be than the posted flag... Believe me, It can be worse... LOL..

We left on Oct. 19th and returned the 29th.. 10 days went by in a blink. We all knew that the timing could be a bit weird in that 2 Hurricanes/Tropical depressions had formed down south and were possibly heading our way. Although our charter is designed for the ultimate in mixed bag fishing, touted as Alijos Rocks or Bust, Captain Justin always puts the safety of his passengers first. The Skipper kept us informed, and as per our usual Gallagher luck, we were able to bypass the storms, head to the rocks, cover a ton of the Ridge and probably fished 8 of the 10 days.

Alijos Rocks for so many in our industry is a Mecca destination.. Every-time the stones appear on the horizon and then become our central hub as we troll for Wahoo, there is something reverential and peaceful that affects most all of us.. I lost count years ago of how many times I have visited the stones, but regardless, I am still struck, each and every time, by something internally, that says I am back where I belong..

The water at the Rocks we just a bit snotty but the Big Excel handles these conditions with ease. Only one wave came over the top drenching a few of the folks but other than that it remained overcast and a bit chopped up.. But nothing we could not easily handle.

I Hooked the first Wahoo for the boat, in the grey light, on a JRI Green Hooicide Direct tie Bomb (Super hot bombs) around 4:30 or 5 AM, at anchor, after I saw someone get snipped off on their bait rig, but I lost it at the boat.. Bummer. After that I struggled, getting short bit about 18 times for the day on various artificial lure rigs, without getting a hook set until the second half day at the Rocks. It was a real lesson in patience. I certainly caught my share of good natured ribbing for going Oh Fer a ton when the Wahoo fishing was pretty good. I have never had that kind of day Wahoo fishing and I can only hope I never have it again. Hey it's fishing so I lit a cigar, made a cocktail and had a great day and evening of laughing and zaniness.. Not much of a down side. However, I more than made up for this personal day of Wahoo Doldrum for the rest of the trip, catching a ton of Wahoo, using so many various methods. My memory is not great but after a day and a half at the Rocks, we left for the overnight run to Ridge with around 36 Alijos Wahoo and some other Pelagic and Non Pelagic critters.

We went south and then turned up to the North as we kept behind the storm along the Ridge. Well over a hundred more Ridge caught Wahoo to 65 pounds with lots of those great 40 - 60 pounders along with the normal sized Skin, Tuna to 45 pounds, Yellowtail, Dorado, Big Grouper, Reds and Keeper Lings were on the menu, many of which were limit style fishing. We did not go for the Big Blue fin nor did we do the Lupe thing. Though those destinations are awesome, they really are not our cup of tea for this Charter.

Once again, Our Gallagher Charter, ended up being one of the Top Wahoo catching Trips of the season. We even had a monster Wahoo stop with boiling fish and hook ups all along the boat. Limit style fishing (As much as anyone wanted) of YFT, Yellowtail and Bottom critters.. Nothing huge on the Tuna side but if you weeded thru the little ones you could get a bunch nice gradeTuna up to about 45 pounds.

I suppose it is the combination of a great Crew and Captains, some luck and some real desire on the parts of the anglers. Add in a huge dosage of Fun, on-going ridiculous antics and a general attitude of who the F....K cares what anyone thinks about our always good natured silliness and you have the makings of a super positive team attitude.. We even were treated to a sun down Green Flash.

The Excel Team of Skipper Justin, Captain Rene, Tim, Jeremiah, Vance along with Jake and Charles in the Galley and Jason in the office. Each and everyone of them, individually and as a team, off the hook great....As always. Maaan, I love the Big And Beautiful Excel and her amazing staff and crew.

A huge Thank You to our sponsors, Generous gift givers, etc. Our passengers always donate to the huge giveaways. And of course, our Charter Master and My dear friend Peaches who probably spends somewhere between 4 to 6 times the cost of the trip to make sure this Charter is the best of the best.. Give Aways probably take a total of 8 hours throughout the trip to distribute.. Tons of Top quality Reels, Rods, Jigs, Bombs and lord knows how many other items...

The Custom Long Sleeve Shirts, for every passenger, Pat Gives away are each custom made with name and individual Tuna Colors on each shirt.. Our Motto: I Love This Sh....T. Not to mention a few gifts that were certainly useable just not for fishing.. Gary G. is a genius, make that Evil Genius, when it comes to certain Flags and "Special Gifts".

I also want to give special THANK YOU to Marc Monteforte. This man spends endless hours and days taking thousands of professional photos, edits them and then will send a DVD to each passenger.. This is an un-believable gesture that Marc takes great pride in.. We, the Gallagher Charter, are blessed to have him aboard.

Those generously donating or sponsoring, in no particular order. A huge THANK YOU for making our trips so special.

Bob Sands Tackle
Eric's Tackle
JRI Custom Lures, Hats, bombs, etc.
Avet Reels
Steve M. Custom Rods
John R. Rudderhood Rods
Augie R.
Earl M. Rod
John H.
Andy K.
Mike C.
Josh A.

What Worked:

Most everyone who threw the newer direct tie JRI Wahoo bomb got bit. (And everyone received at least one JRI Wahoo Bomb.). You absolutely need a bunch of these in your box. This Trip the Green was hot with Blue Silver, Orange Black and Purple/black, Purple/Pink and Pink accounting for some of those skinny bastardos.

Josh A. used a Capt. Jimmy Wahoo Bomb in Bloody Runner very successfully at the Rocks. Other Jimmy Bomb Colors worked as well. Green again was excellent throughout the trip.

Once the water conditions flattened out at The Ridge, the JRI 2 with J Hook was hot, Hot, HOT.. I pull this lure super slow, allowing for the biggest Kick the jig can give and Man, it got bit really well.. Not to mention, super fun to watch. I wish I had fished it more but I got 2 fish on that and a ton of visually radical short bites on the surface.

Two of my Halco 135 Poppers were eaten into oblivion by Tuna with a greater percentage of larger models than bait or other lures. Though I did not sink a hook into it, damn it, a Wahoo tried to eat that Popper knocking it 3 feet into the air as the Skin went 5 foot airborne during the miss in front of the Skipper and I.. I love catching Wahoo on the Popper but it did not happen this trip.

We were lucky to have 2 early model JRI Hooker Intruders in Purple/Black.. only trolled by 3 folks. Both worked exceptionally well with 3 for Augie and 2 for Steve (Until a Marlin bit it off while being trolled by an un-named brother from another mother when he gave the lure a shot).. Ugggg.. that was one costly Marlin).

Spinning Rods and Quality Spinning reels were joyously used by many of our anglers for both artificial lures and bait.. Guys were throwing Poppers, Surface iron, Bombs, etc. further and more efficiently than ever before.. On the rare instances where I threw bait on my spinners and Bamboo rod, it was an instant hook up resulting in Wahoo, Tuna and Yellowtail.. Along with a few lesser desirable sized fish.

The Majority of trolling lures used were the wonderful Nomad 200 Minnows that worked great.. Certain colors seemed to work better than others and conditions seemed to matter in color selection but these lures work fantastic as long as they are trolled on the center 3 positions.

I used, over and over again, when fishing at the bottom, a JRI 6 in Blue/White that most times out-fished the bait guys for bigger Tuna, Yellowtail, Big Lings and other bottom critters tied onto a 60 Pound leader.. No Paint was left on the Jig by the end of the trip. The extra weight of this Brass based Jig allows for this smaller jig to get down to the bottom even with decent current.

I only fished Artificial lures except on my little Bamboo and ice fishing rods which had bait.

Bait was hot but accounted for so many losses. Like all trips involving Wahoo, our final tally of Skin does not come close to revealing how many of those Blind Bastards were hooked and found their freedom. If I note there were at least 800 hookups, especially on bait, I think I would be way underestimating the total. Short bites accounted for at least that many on bombs and trolling lures. The number of lost fish was staggering. I caught the skipper shaking his head and talking to himself on way too many occasions..but, that is Wahoo fishing.... I can only surmise that situation will never change.. Good thing Justin has a strong Neck.

Here are a few pics to go along with the report.. Enjoy

Jamie

View attachment 1079043 View attachment 1079044 View attachment 1079045 View attachment 1079046 View attachment 1079047 View attachment 1079048 View attachment 1079049 View attachment 1079050 View attachment 1079051 View attachment 1079052 View attachment 1079053 View attachment 1079054 View attachment 1079055 View attachment 1079056 View attachment 1079057 View attachment 1079058 View attachment 1079059 View attachment 1079060 View attachment 1079061 View attachment 1079062 View attachment 1079063 View attachment 1079064 View attachment 1079065 View attachment 1079066 View attachment 1079067 View attachment 1079068 View attachment 1079069 View attachment 1079070View attachment 1079109View attachment 1079110 View attachment 1079112View attachment 1079111
View attachment 1079115 View attachment 1079116
View attachment 1079118 View attachment 1079117
Thanks for another great writeup Jamie!

Reactions: fishordie
Upvote 0

Shon

Fish til I can't fish no more
  • Jan 21, 2014
    Redondo Beach/ Mammoth
    Name
    Shon
    Boat
    Spirit of Adventure/ Pac Voyager
    Awesome write up! Thanks for the details on what was working and the hot colors. Looks like a epic trip. There’s some slug wahoo and grouper in that trip. Glad it worked out for your group.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Jamie,

Thanks for the great report! Now for the questions.

What were folks tying to their JRI direct tie bombs? Wire, flouro etc???

When you talk about "short bite" on a bomb are you saying these fish were just not very aggressive/not committing?

Cheers!!!

Upvote 0

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
    Calabasas CA
    Name
    Jamie
    Boat
    Jamie,

Thanks for the great report! Now for the questions.

What were folks tying to their JRI direct tie bombs? Wire, flouro etc???

When you talk about "short bite" on a bomb are you saying these fish were just not very aggressive/not committing?

Cheers!!!

Yo JAM,

Thank you for the nice words. When it comes to fishing bombs, everyone has their own way and best method for them.. I can only speak for myself.. I keep it simple.. We have been selling for many years a short insert, Served and Glued Casting leader. This is a roughly 9 inch insert of 100 pound XXX Mono into a loop to loop hollow Spectra. I found I was not crazy about how well Flouro worked with the short insert as the glue penetration was not as deep as the Mono. We use a served method at the end of the Spectra and then Glue the entire inserted area including the serve.. I direct tie with a San Diego knot right onto the eye of the Bomb.. I can usually get 2 or 3 reties should the line get scarred. No wire.

I tested this method for several years before we decided to sell the casting leaders and it works great. No failures reported over the many years we have been selling them. We make them with 6 feet of mono sticking out of the Loop to loop. I cut that down to around 4 feet total from the Connection point where the main line loops into the loop of the casting leader. I can then drop the lure past the 4 feet to cast if I have room to do so. I fish 80 or 100 pound on my Spectra and never have any joint or connection going thru the guides.. Never had a failure with my reel drags for bombs and jigs set at full. If there is a Siwash hook on the Lure I bend that in towards the shank by about 5 - 10 degrees so the point is no longer parallel to the shank.

Many of the folks on our charter set up like I do but some have their own personal favorite methods. On these trips most folks are taking off their wire on throwing jigs and bombs once they see that the bite ratio seems to be improved. To each their own.

The short bite on bombs is when that Hoo hits the lure or leader but the hook does not set into anything.. The bomb or jig usually comes back with some sort of teeth marks, scrapped line or lost mylar. However, sometimes, they eat the hook but it does not come tight.. Sometimes, I can even see the bite if it the Hoo is closer to the boat or on the surface iron/popper. I wish I knew why but then I would be written about in the bible..LOL.

Hope that helps.

Jamie

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Safety

eyes on your jig, all the way, you’re not going to miss the ocean

and flip flops with Wahoo? I watched two guys fish a 3 day in bare feet, now that’s a special kind of stupid. I was surprised the crew allowed it.

Upvote 0

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
    Calabasas CA
    Name
    Jamie
    Boat
    ROFLMAO at the Yenta's of this board.. Somehow, they wait, lurking, hoping to find a post to whine at.. But such is the nature of B.D. There are always a few...well, you know. Normally, I do not respond but in this case, I will. After all, the point you are making is correct and one of the reasons I posted it. However, you have the wrong guy in me. I call the cast and look 100% of the time..or in this case make sure others have it covered.

Marc asked me to take that shot. We had 3 guys making sure no body walked by during the time it took to make sure no-one walked by, into the jig or into the shot.. Marc loved what was happening with that bamboo jig stick and wanted to snap some photos. Thus the reason why I am not looking as other folks were tasked with the safety of that shot.. You might also notice that the reel is not in line with the top of the stick.. How could you geniuses have missed that?

Calling attention to mistakes on this board is great and can be appropriate. But I do love the way certain folks just have to give their opinions in such a self righteous way..And now Flip Flops vs. bare feet on a three day? Is this really what you look to do every day? Perhaps some of you should find out the truth before claiming some moral or knowledge based superiority.. Or not.. At least I get a good laugh out some of your self righteous responses when you attack others on a regular basis. Does this somehow make your feel better about your own lives?

Some folks actually like and appreciate the time some of us spend helping out and posting. But some of you love to be heard from even if you have nothing of value to say.. I suppose you live for that.. Good for you.

Now flame on.. After all, is that not what a few of you guys live to do? As for me, I am going to breakfast and probably fly fish the lake later on this afternoon for Bass and Catfish. I actually have a life outside of B.D. Imagine that.

This will be my only response no matter how much some of you Whiners and Yentas reply as that seems to be what you live for. Perhaps you need to get out and actually fish more. You guys are Hilarious.

Jamie

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Yo JAM,

Thank you for the nice words. When it comes to fishing bombs, everyone has their own way and best method for them.. I can only speak for myself.. I keep it simple.. We have been selling for many years a short insert, Served and Glued Casting leader. This is a roughly 9 inch insert of 100 pound XXX Mono into a loop to loop hollow Spectra. I found I was not crazy about how well Flouro worked with the short insert as the glue penetration was not as deep as the Mono.

Hope that helps.

Jamie

Jamie,

Thanks for the detailed description (as usual).

Knowing little to nothing about fishing wahoo I ended up tying about 30' of 60 lb. mono to my 50 lb. spectra with an FG knot before attaching it to a through wired JRI Hooicide bomb last winter. I was batting 1000 for strike to hook up ratio until my drag got loosened some how. Missed a couple of fish until I got the drag tightened back down again and then I was back to batting 1000. Since this setup worked so well I learned absolutely nothing. During this trip I witnessed several very experienced LR anglers missing multiple fish. As far as I could tell the only real difference in my setup was the longer mono topshot. I got the impression that it may have been a good part of the reason I got so lucking in the strike to land stats. Or maybe Kub was pinning fish on my bomb when I was not looking. Hopefully I get the opportunity to test this theory before too many seasons pass.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
    Reactions: fishordie and Shon
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I tried fishing a short (3') leader of 130 lb fluorocarbon tied to a jig. No thanks, just not for me. Casting was OK, and hooksets were solid. But the violent head shakes wasn't much fun. Different strokes.

Upvote 0

Shon

Fish til I can't fish no more
  • Jan 21, 2014
    Redondo Beach/ Mammoth
    Name
    Shon
    Boat
    Spirit of Adventure/ Pac Voyager
    I tried fishing a short (3') leader of 130 lb fluorocarbon tied to a jig. No thanks, just not for me. Casting was OK, and hooksets were solid. But the violent head shakes wasn't much fun. Different strokes.
    That’s exactly what i did Steve. I actually thought my hook up to landing fish ratio was very high because of this technique. So my set up was Okuma Andros 12slla with 65# spectra tied to 75 yards 50# and then to a swivel with 3ft of 130# floro to bomb or raider jig. That’ was last year and I landed 14 wahoo my first time ever fishing for them. I’d say that’s pretty damn good.? And lucky!!
    BTW- 7 more days!!

Upvote 0

freegaff2

Aug 31, 2014
    Name
    Craig Simcox
    Boat
    none
    fish slid across the back deck, sliced the entire front toe section of a deck boot...guy got lucky, just a small cut to his toe. Flip flops? Might have meant a fast run up to Cedros for a flight out, and the end of the trip on the ridge. Never been on a boat that didn't enforce the boots/closed toe shoes for wahoo. Don't want to either. The real whining would start when the boat left from the 23 or the rocks for Cedros during a hot bite. YMMV ;)

Reactions: Shon and Lake
    Upvote 0