Slice-Of-Life

SoCal Hoo and Blue Club
Jun 18, 2012
San Jacinto
Name
Travis Magnano
Boat
Nope
When the yellowfin slow up the sport boat will be filling the sacks with hundreds of these little guys and half you will probably posting reports about how great it was and it was the most insane YT bite you have seen.

Upvote 0

godo

Almost A Member
Oct 18, 2008
Anaheim Hills, CA
Name
steve
Boat
24 Skipjack PH
Slice -of-life I think what you are saying is "most of us" back off of a patty to avoid the little guys.....drift away and catch tuna!

Upvote 0

Professor

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 17, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Yale
Boat
32' Blackman Sportfisher "Riley"
How long are we "some"s supposed to wait to respond to dead 2-5# yellowtail being shown off?

Your insights into the moral appropriateness of his catch are wonderful. His catch was legal, he took the time to post and I appreciate his effort. As to how long should we wait to respond? I would suggest 25 years. It's just as arbitrary and capricious as your opinion. It’s no wonder people don’t post fish reports anymore.

Upvote 0

Slice-Of-Life

SoCal Hoo and Blue Club
Jun 18, 2012
San Jacinto
Name
Travis Magnano
Boat
Nope
Slice -of-life I think what you are saying is "most of us" back off of a patty to avoid the little guys.....drift away and catch tuna!
No I'm saying when when the yellowfin fishing slows down and kelps are still loaded with rat yellows the sport boat will be plugging the boat with them. So give this guy a break for trying to salvage the day.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Lighten up Brad....it was a joke! We've kept some 10lbers this season, but you have to admit it was kind of funny how they were laid out....and the last one is tiny. I really don't care if you keep the tiny yellows....I really don't. Anyway I deleted the post....so you can put away the tissue and stop sniffling.

"Small to smallest? Way to F'n funny like most everthing that followed:

Just everything they eat thereafter always has a weird metallic taste

Fish with swallowed hooks stand a better chance of surviving in the water than in a kill box. Just saying.

You should of used 1-6 for bait

Are small yellows endangered?

If your photos were black and white it would be the perfect striper report from Castaic.

rolled or bong load?

:nopity:Jeez ! Tough crowd . May as well have been 10 baby marlin .

Do you give all your bites a 17 count before slamming in gear?

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
How long are we "some"s supposed to wait to respond to dead 2-5# yellowtail being shown off?

I wasn't calling you out Wills but feel free to respond as you like :D I know you can express your opinion with some humor. Sorry you can't Beiber me anymore!

some folk actually believe that if you clip the line as close as you can to the hook and put the fish back in the water, the hook WILL rust out and it might even survive to puberty.
IDIOTS!!!!!

...... :D

I think a thread like this one has a lot of good info and does a lot to teach conservation. A good thing. Never know - somebody may release the little ones next time. YT being a reasonably fast growing fish and pretty good spawners along with the justification/argument that taking the little ones instead of bigger ones who are proven spawners/survivers IMO taking some little ones is not the end of he world.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
"Small to smallest? Way to F'n funny like most everthing that followed:
Thanks Kerry! At least someone found humor in my comment....that's all that was meant. To be honest many boats out there are content pulling on the smaller yellows inhabiting most, if not every paddy out there right now. It's all good to me.....have fun while it lasts!!! :D

Upvote 0

jaydawg77

Hi.
Nov 20, 2007
Coto de Caza, CA
Name
Jason
Boat
None
Guys, particularly the ones giving the OP some grief, riddle me this...

Let's say that these 'rat' yt average 3-4 lb. and a fully mature large yt will grow to +-50 lb. My question for you, are we doing something similar if we keep 10 yft tuna that average 20-25 lb., a fish that when mature can weigh in excess of 400 lb.?

I'm all about conservation and limiting ourselves to a reasonable catch and harvest but I think giving the OP was well within his right to keep those fish. If his deck was stacked with 10 tunas, we'd be giving him kudos.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Thanks Kerry! At least someone found humor in my comment....that's all that was meant. To be honest many boats out there are content pulling on the smaller yellows inhabiting most, if not every paddy out there right now. It's all good to me.....have fun while it lasts!!! :D

Just a guess but maybe 50-60 percent of the YT in the sport counts are under 15 pounds. IIRC this cycle has gone on for most of my life and seems there is still pretty good yellowtail fishing. As Jason points out people are proud of juvenile tuna and don't get called out for it. Follow the rules and it IS all good.

I missed this one. I had to think about it for a minute but I'm sleep deprived...

Maybe he has a 40ft center console

Reactions: JTH
Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
Your insights into the moral appropriateness of his catch are wonderful. His catch was legal, he took the time to post and I appreciate his effort. As to how long should we wait to respond? I would suggest 25 years. It's just as arbitrary and capricious as your opinion. It’s no wonder people don’t post fish reports anymore.

if people are going to NOT post pics of these tiny fish because of me - especially after seeing and experiencing the hows and whys (arbitrary capriciousness?) of the CINMS and MLPA closures over the past 15 years or so - then I'm good with that. :)

Go ahead. continue to kill these tiny fish and post up how wonderful it is. But DONT come back and complain about increased regulations on the fishery at any time in the future. The reality of the consequences isn't "moral"; its reality. Limits on albies were put in place just a few years back in California - with limits being seriously talked about in the PNW. This year its BFT. Do you not think that the YT will be next on the list? Especially after yet another year of these reports and pictures of the WFO take of YT that are getting smaller every year.

Reactions: plj46
Upvote 0

Vermonster

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 26, 2003
Escondido
Visit site
Name
Sean
Boat
I'm a Ho'.....

Spoken like a true professor..... ;) Agreed Yale.......

Let's say that these 'rat' yt average 3-4 lb. and a fully mature large yt will grow to +-50 lb. My question for you, are we doing something similar if we keep 10 yft tuna that average 20-25 lb., a fish that when mature can weigh in excess of 400 lb.?
I'm all about conservation and limiting ourselves to a reasonable catch and harvest but I think giving the OP was well within his right to keep those fish. If his deck was stacked with 10 tunas, we'd be giving him kudos.

Now see, you had to go and ad logic to this argument, didn't you? Some guys will surely be confused by the simpleness of it....... LOL

Nice day on the water! Congrats, good eats, fun catching!!!

Reactions: JTH
Upvote 0

Foss

Senior Fossil
Dec 16, 2003
Bay Park
www.jackinnis.com
Name
Jack
Boat
Not My Ride
I have always been told that the hook will rust away and the fish heal quickly.
Seen it happen first hand with a juvenile calico I plunked into the saltwater fish tank back when I had Crystal Pier Bait and Tackle in the early 80s. After about five days, IIRC, it burped out a mass of rust and hook chunks and gorged itself on mussels.

Upvote 0

OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
  • Dec 13, 2003
    San Marcos
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Grady White 208
    if people are going to NOT post pics of these tiny fish because of me - especially after seeing and experiencing the hows and whys (arbitrary capriciousness?) of the CINMS and MLPA closures over the past 15 years or so - then I'm good with that. :)

Go ahead. continue to kill these tiny fish and post up how wonderful it is. But DONT come back and complain about increased regulations on the fishery at any time in the future. The reality of the consequences isn't "moral"; its reality. Limits on albies were put in place just a few years back in California - with limits being seriously talked about in the PNW. This year its BFT. Do you not think that the YT will be next on the list? Especially after yet another year of these reports and pictures of the WFO take of YT that are getting smaller every year.

To Wils point, the CA limits on YT used 10 fish of any size. 1997 was a similar year to this one where every paddy was loaded up with juvenile yellows. I witnessed boats with 3 or 4 guys taking limits of 10-12 inch YT's on Sabiki rigs. The next season, YT limits were changed to only 5 fish could be less than 24 inches long.

Reactions: wils and FishinChic
    Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot

So limits on albies is a bad thing? I used to see plenty of abuse by recs when you could keep all you wanted.

Was not many years ago that they put the 5 any length/5 24" minimum on YT here. I have been at this for a while now and I see little change in the YT fishery. As long as I can remember people have been taking babies and I still see nice big ones taken every year. My biggest CA fish was 3 years ago.

Your point about it used to further restrict the fishery is a good one. IMO we will be fighting that battle on an ongoing basis no matter what. If "they" cant find ammunition from "us" then they will just make it up themselves. Recent BFT stock assessment is a good example of that.

On a sidenote - this thread on a contentious issues going on in a civil manner - am I at the BD website??????? :D

Reactions: jaydawg77
    Upvote 0

jaydawg77

Hi.
    Nov 20, 2007
    Coto de Caza, CA
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    None

I am not so certain that YT are getting smaller every year. Last year there were big yt on paddies and the Coronados have put out good size fish this year and last. From what I've heard there is a wave of larger yt showing on paddies though I have not seen such models. I do agree we need to police ourselves to keep what is reasonable - this should apply to all fish we catch, whether rat yt or any other species.

I'm not advocating everyone run out and catch limits of rat yt on their way out to catch their limit of juvenile tuna but they can be fun to catch using different techniques and gear. I still think a couple guys keeping 10 smaller grade yellows is perfectly fine as long as they're not doing this regularly. To my earlier point/post, if there were 5 juvenile yt and 10 juvenile 20-25 lb. tunas in the original post, none of these comments would have been made.

Upvote 0

Statistico

Statistition
    Jan 23, 2007
    San Diego
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    None

Good point jaydawg. I would call the comparison a false analogy because of so many characteristic differences between these fish. Your comment is well worth consideration.

Upvote 0

jaydawg77

Hi.
    Nov 20, 2007
    Coto de Caza, CA
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    None
    Good point jaydawg. I would call the comparison a false analogy because of so many characteristic differences between these fish. Your comment is well worth consideration.

Thanks Joe. Yes, definitely a huge difference between the two species, so I completely agree with the false analogy. Definitely didn't intend it to be apples to apples but glad it got people thinking. That being said, I'm confident that on a global scale, the tuna is under a whole lot more pressure than yt.

Reactions: Statistico
    Upvote 0