Offshore Limit on little YT

PENN

ADK74

May 3, 2014
Name
Alan
Boat
Triumph 170CC
Launched early out of SI and went down to the 371 with a buddy. Trolled around looking for paddies and action, and came up short. We then headed north and found a paddy with little Yellowtail. Had to keep a couple that swallowed the hooks and continued north. Worked a few more paddies and then cut across to the nine mile on the US side and found a paddy loaded with yellows. Caught a bunch and threw a bunch back. A couple of larger ones I caught was on a 7/8 ounce sardine waxwing. Very fun!!

image.jpg

Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
Another reason why people don't post here anymore! Well at least with any information.
NoLDR
Lighten up Brad....it was a joke! We've kept some 10lbers this season, but you have to admit it was kind of funny how they were laid out....and the last one is tiny. I really don't care if you keep the tiny yellows....I really don't. Anyway I deleted the post....so you can put away the tissue and stop sniffling.

Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
Could you imagine, if all those tiny rat yellows were thrown back, how many monster yellowtail we would have in the next few years. Ahhh if only.

I just put the popcorn in the microwave.....this should be good! :D

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Could you imagine, if all those tiny rat yellows were thrown back, how many monster yellowtail we would have in the next few years. Ahhh if only.

We would maybe get a couple for every couple thousand little ones released. Certainly not a lot survive.

That said IMO as little handling as possible and release is good.

Keeping legal catches absolutely is fine too.

Some are pretty damn quick to judge...

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Nice day on the water, Alan. Thanks for the post, and the picture, and for all of the catch & release. As far as keeping versus releasing fish that are hooked too deep to easily remove the hook, I always keep mine even if it's a size that I would normally release. I treat it the same as the dove that just can't be found, if it falls it's part of the limit. Trying to dig out a deep hook causes as much or more stress on the fish from the handling as the hook itself. In a study back in the 70's the then-DFG found that the highest survival rate for hooked fish was if at least six inches of line was left on the hook, and a very high percentage of fish worked the hook loose and then it passed through the fish and out without causing harm because the line acted like the tail of a kite, keeping the point from digging back in. But that was with the J hooks that we all used then, I don't know how circle hooks would behave. But I use circles 95% of the time (lures are siwash) and I can't remember the last time that I hooked a fish deep.

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
    Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    Are small yellows endangered?

Reactions: sickcat
    Upvote 0