Like Ultra Ultra limited load?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by bbuck, Aug 7, 2015.

1. ReelDealAngler

ReelDealAngler Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    I personally would be more inclined to do to two 3.5 day cow trips to PV right now than 1 limited load trip on a 15 day which is only going to fish 7 days or so in the zone... with that said PV runs hot and cold with regards to cow fishing as well, but with two 3.5 day trips you could fish different times of the year and the travel time to the zone is MUCH shorter on the PV cow trips. Those long ass 4-day boat rides going and coming back uphill on an LR boat at 12 knots are simply NOT my idea of fun or relaxation (JMHO), but they are a necessary evil if you want the lux comfort, larger deck, ability to fish further out (other zones), and the large bait capacity the premier LR boats offer.

G

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  2. Soda Pop

Soda Pop I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David Rouse
    Boat:
    Long range fishing
    [ Those long ass 4-day boat rides going and coming back uphill on an LR boat at 12 knots are simply NOT my idea of fun or relaxation (JMHO), but they are a necessary evil if you want the lux comfort, larger deck, ability to fish further out (other zones), and the large bait capacity the premier LR boats offer.

G[/QUOTE]

I like the 4 day ride going and coming. I must...... LOL I do it 6 times a year.... LOL I did the PV boats 3 times and it was fun.... but not my cup of tea.... I like the comfort that the long range boats have to offer. I have to say though.... my first 15 day trip years ago.... I thought it took FOREVER ... LOL I guess old age and no job... makes me relax more.. LOL No really you get use to the ride down and back..... it is something that is different than your 10 day and under trips do... Cow fishing for the most part is slow pace .... and lots of bait fishing when you go to the island.... the bank you don't have to bait fish.... but sardine for bait... most of the time... you can just walk up to the bait tank and get a bait..... with no one there..... its a different pace of fishing.... these 14-16 day trips...

Montaukmaniac likes this.
  3. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    Would be nice, but at my age, cost is a factor. Instead of limited load for a high price for 15 days, I could spend that money on two 15 day trips. I can catch plenty of fish and cows with a full load of anglers, probably the same amount on a limited load as there is a limit on how many we can catch. The extra seconds waiting at the bait tank is really no big deal. Private room? Hell I go to fish and don't care where I sleep. Just my 2 cents.

vegasandre, Steve K and sierraazuel like this.
  4. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I don't think any of the owner/operators want to create a notion that the longer trips have to be an elitist adventure, preferring to simply offer the experience to those who can truly say: "I don't really give two shits how much it costs." There's such an array of trips with different prices and passenger loads to offer something for every angler. And if a guy or gal wants to take a shot and it takes a couple of years to come up with enough money, so be it. This doesn't have to be a rich man's sport, especially with the availability of quality loaner tackle available. So, if you're interested in pursuing your dream, don't give up! If it means taking 3-5 day trips for a couple of seasons instead of 5-7 day trips, try that. If it's on your Bucket List, make it happen.

And by the way, the 17 day trip on Excel, departing 12/27 with 18 anglers, appears to have two spots open. :)

vegasandre and XL1 like this.
  5. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

Regardless of what "notion" the owners want to create a $4K two week fishing trip is financially out of the reach of many anglers…add your tip, permits, fish processing, parking etc and it approaches $5k for even the low cost trips………the number of anglers who do these 12/17 day trips are very very small in the low hundreds I would guess compared to the number of saltwater anglers on the West Coast . I could be wrong but on most of the long trips that I take it seems the majority of the passengers are over the age of 50 and retired or own their own business…..there are exceptions but not too many. I don't know if that makes it "elitist".

IMO The main reason for such low numbers... high costs the second reason time off work.

I still contend that Long Range cow fishing is expensive…

dh515, vegasandre, jiggyn and 2 others like this.
  6. feeder

feeder I gaff sardines....

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    Add in the tackle costs and it gets even more expensive......especially if you buy as much as Fishy LOL

7. ReelDealAngler

ReelDealAngler Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    I have never done a 15 day trip, my longest was 10, most of my LR trips have been 3-7 day trips over the last 40 years... not so much the cost for me as the time away from my business (1/2 month away from running a business is tough to pull off in my line of work, the fact that some boats now have Wi-Fi makes it a bit easier), and like I stated earlier, I just dread that long uphill 4-day ride back to SD! I will eventually do the 15-17 day cow trip, but most likely I would go for the fly back option or the fly/fly option which works even better for me, but they don't seem to offer a lot these fly option LR trips these days. For now my cow fishing is out of PV, which is truly a good option in certain years, and better now with the CA rail style sport boats that are operating from PV, prior to the Maximus and Apollo it was pretty much a private cockpit sport fishing boat with low freeboard (harness and plate needed) and limited bait capacity.

G

8. big dog62

big dog62 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    spanky
    Boat:
    sac-yac
    A bit off topic.... but I recently went out on a 2 day trip that posted a 30 max load, for an 85' boat. I was reluctant to go, but did, as I thought 30 was to many. After a head count, much to my dismay, found there was in fact, 34 anglers!
    So I did a little recon investigating with trip schedules v trip reports. I was surprised to see this practice of overbooking was quite common and not by just one as most boats reserve " the right to ".
    A HUGE part of my decision making on which boat, trip, to book is based on " max load " as I tend to seek limited load trips. I know there are times these boats go out lite, but I don't think it is ok to try and make up for it by overbooking the next, just because they have found those wanting or willing to go.

reelconcerned likes this.
  9. bbuck

bbuck Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Buck
    Boat:
    sunk
    Your not off topic Spanky. It's typical of the long range fleet to overbook by one, some will over book by two or even three. These overbooking policies are usually stated in their booking info. section. As for the 1-2 day fleet anything goes.
    The 15 day 13 passenger trip that started this thread is limited to 13. No sponsor and no overbooking.

10. big dog62

big dog62 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    spanky
    Boat:
    sac-yac
    Yep, been on the Shogun a couple of times, great boat, captain and crew. Dream trip for sure, would love to go.
    hmm... wonder if junior has 9 grand in his college fund yet?

11. Sactotuna

Sactotuna Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    Royal Star
    While this is absolutely true, there is something very very different in the feel of an ultra limited trip. The room on the deck of the Excel with just 16 is incredible. Having dinner with everybody at one sitting, never having to wait for a shower, virtually no tangles, you darn near have a private crewman the whole time you're hooked up, . . . it's like the difference between staying a a large 4 star hotel and a boutique 4 star hotel.
    I did 2 in one winter, and it was the absolute pinnacle of my long range career.
    Yes, crazy expensive. Yes, best winter of my life. ;)

12. bbuck

bbuck Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Buck
    Boat:
    sunk
    This trip has been on the Shogun web site for a couple of weeks now and is starting to sell. Like the 13 passenger trip on the Intrepid it could go fast and once it does it will become just another great trip that you can't get on because every year the same guys are back. I know you could do 56,000 half day trips for what this costs, but if it is the type of trip that appeals to you, now is the time. Remember Frank has committed to make it a go with 8 and you have well over a year to save up. Food for thought.

13. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    Been on a few full load trips that ended up being "limited load" trips.
    I loved it, but I am sure the operators and some of the crew didn't.

With that said, I am sure most would rather fish a limited load trip. Price is usually the biggest factor. If $ isn't a factor , then limited load is where it would be.

For myself, I am just happy to get out whenever life and wife allows. The latter being my number one obstacle.

Fishybuzz likes this.
  14. Soda Pop

Soda Pop I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David Rouse
    Boat:
    Long range fishing
    bbuck said:
    Like the 13 passenger trip on the Intrepid it could go fast and once it does it will become just another great trip that you can't get on because every year the same guys are back.
    ...............................................................................................................................
    This is a charter trip that was never offered to anyone else. We booked it last year for Feb. 2016. I also fish trips with 24 on them. I myself like them both. Whatever fits my schedule works best for me.

15. Montaukmaniac

Montaukmaniac Thats my son, not me.

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"

Fishybuzz, speaks the truth. (IMHO)

BINGO: Time off & disposable income...

10 days is it, FOR NOW...

retirement is close, but not that close...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015