Light weight scope for modern hunter.

Discussion in 'Gun Talk' started by Shawn Prada, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Shawn Prada

Shawn Prada Newbie

Name:
    Shawn
    Boat:
    speeder
    I'm looking for suggestions on a scope for my modern hunter in 308win. I want to keep the rifle as light as possible so I can pack it around hunting. I would like the scope to go down to 3x - 4x power but go up high enough to shoot gongs at 800 meters on range days. I would like to stay around $1000 but I am willing to pay up to $2000 for the perfect scope. Thanks ahead of time for all the suggestions.
    Thanks

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  2. jimikinz

jimikinz Member

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Sucker Fish III
    I got a Leupold VX-3i 6.5-20 for my son. They have a 3-18 power also with thr 40mm objective and 1” tube. I am very happy with mine. Quite a bit lighter than the 50mm objective/30mm tube, but still performs very well in low light.

They are right about $800

3. C.Bergs

C.Bergs Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Cory
    Boat:
    Skipjack 24 Open - Pau Hana
    I, too, have been researching a new scope for my 30.06. I have been running a 3X9 Buckmaster for many years, but found I'm just uncomfortable with longer shots. While not made in the USA, the Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16x42mm has a lifetime warranty and it's 18 ounces. I was initially skeptical about the scope, but I think I will be purchasing it soon. I've done quite a bit of research on it and talked to a bunch of folks. It seems to be a very good quality scope for the money. You can find it on opticsplanet.com for around $370

The scope is made in the Philippines, same place where Nikons are made. Although Leupold is an American company, all their glass is from Asia, even Gold Ring products. The rest of the scope is built and assembled in USA.

4. downtime

downtime I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Ronson
    Boat:
    26 Skipjack "Reel Hard"
    Burris Eliminator 3

Saw a commercial for one of these. They look sweet. I have no experience with it but the reviews seem good.

5. Aggro

Aggro Keepin my pimp hand strong!

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    Love that scope. Amazing.

6. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    I hate to say it, but you are asking too much. Lightweight and low power on one end, yet the ability to shoot 800 yards accurately too? I don’t see it all in one package.

CartridgeCalls and marlyn like this.
  7. Bad To The Bone

Bad To The Bone Not old...Experienced

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    Sold it!
    I'm not a black gun style hunter so I don't have any experience with that realm of hunting rifle. But I do have plenty of experience with hunting optics and I agree wholeheartedly with Nates assessment of the conflicting specs you desire in a scope. Any scope will allow you to "shoot" gongs at 800 meters but being able to see them clearly enough and consistently put rounds on target at that distance will not only rely heavily on your optics quality but the accuracy of your rifle (and you). If I were looking for a scope for a modern hunter and I had between $1k - $2k to spend, I'd compromise on the idea of it being lightweight and fulfill the other hardcore performance requirements with a Zeiss, Vortez, or Swarovski. All three manufacturers offer several models that will support long range shooting accuracy and reliability in your price range. Happy shopping!

8. Skkeeter

Skkeeter 07 FFL

Name:
    Skkeeter
    Boat:
    19’ North River Mariner, 14' Klamath
    Im a little late to the party but I have some input. I hunt with a Nightforce 2.5-10X NSX. It weighs just over 1lb and I routinely can see and hit 12x24" plates at 800y out of my 6.5x47 Lapua. Would I shoot groups at 800 with it? No, but steel and gongs yes, not a problem and light enough to hunt with. Not to mention tough as nails. I m using a precision rifle though, and most factory rifles will not be as accurate. If your wondering about what kind of experience I have? I build precision rifles for a living and compete in the URSA Elr competitions where we start shooting at 2050y.

Tight lines and tight groups.

9. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    Actually it is not too much to ask I have been rocking this Swaro for several years now and can highly recommend it. Great Swaro glass with incredible power range and lightweight (15.9 oz). They have various reticles available depending on your preferences.

https://www.sportoptics.com/swarovski-z5-rifle-scopes/swarovski-z5-rifle-scope-3-18x44-bt-plex.aspx

10. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    I guess it's all subjective. I don't really call 15.9 oz light weight, and when I hear low power, I'm thinking 1-2X.

Low power and light weight to me makes me think of something like a 1.5-5x20 Leupold VXIII, or maybe a 2.5-8x36. Neither of those are 800 yards scopes.

But I agree with you on that Swaro Z5 being a great scope. I've got a custom rifle build right now I'm about to start and am considering that very same scope.

And take what I say with a healthy dose of salt. I'm primarily a bow hunter, and as a rifle hunter am mostly a traditionalist. I don't even understand what is meant by a "modern hunter".

11. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    As far as weight goes you will not find another scope in that mag range that is lighter. Trust me that is very light for a scope with that top end magnification. If you are talking about a rifle for dangerous game a 1-1.5x on the low end makes sense for sure. For an all around western big game rifle 3.5 on the low end works great. I have a 1-4x vx2 leupy on my Marlin 45-70 levergun and I think it is a perfect match for that rifle. I have hunted a lot in the Missouri river breaks for Mule deer and jumping deer at close range happens quite frequently. It is amazing how fast you can get a moving animal in the scope set to 3-4 power with a bit of practice.