tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    I know this has been gone over in years past in BD, but why not ask? I saw these small glow sticks at party city, and thought about stuffing one in the bait cages. Anyone tried these? I know, the enemy of good is better! I thought in dirty water...maybe?

Glowsticks II.jpg Glowsticks III.jpg

Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    Don't know but would like to find out.

My theory would be no. The reason being is lobsters typically only crawl under the cover of darkness to avoid detection from predators. By having a light source there it will then be lighting up the area of where they will be. I could be totally wrong, just my thought. The other thing I was thinking about would be it being a homing beacon for the sea lions.

Upvote 0

djam

Almost A Member
    Jun 2, 2008
    Irvine
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Parker 2320 (Terabite)
    I would think not, I know when we used to dive for them it was key not to flash them with the light. I also have heard that the white of bait cages can scare them, but not confirmed and plenty of people use white tubes. Maybe drop a few with and few without and see if there is a noticeable difference. You should drop two next to each other, so you have a closer apples to apples comparison.

Upvote 0

nefarious235

Aug 1, 2008
    Proudly American
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    canoe & plastic flotsam
    I use them in my balloons (white)for nighttime WSB fishing

Reactions: FloMar
    Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    All good observations. I thought I heard something about the specific spectrum of light attracting them. Maybe just the rave ones.

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft
    They were selling nets with glow in the dark rings once upon a time. So I assume they can work. I do agree that they are more likely to cause more seal problems than they will attract lobsters though.

Upvote 0

Robdog1

Well known member
    Oct 23, 2018
    Newport Beach
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
    I tried something similar one time, I had a GoPro and a light attached to the net, it didn’t seem to affect anything and this was an LED dive light. Lobsters don’t have great vision, they go primarily off their antennas and smell, but I imagine they can tell a glow from darkness, maybe not clearly like humans, but at least they know it’s different.

Reactions: makairaa
    Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    I know this has been gone over in years past in BD, but why not ask? I saw these small glow sticks at party city, and thought about stuffing one in the bait cages. Anyone tried these? I know, the enemy of good is better! I thought in dirty water...maybe?

View attachment 1097009 View attachment 1097010
    Years ago did some testing of the concept. Nothing was conclusive good or bad, there were benefits and issues. As many have stated lobster will find the bait by smell/scent and other means. You have to put your nets in the correct spot each night, which is a bigger nut you need to crack first. My short answer is it’s a waste of time and mental energy. John.

Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
  • May 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Len
    Boat
    Camo Whammo
    They were selling nets with glow in the dark rings once upon a time. So I assume they can work. I do agree that they are more likely to cause more seal problems than they will attract lobsters though.

I bought those. Caught more stingray orgies than I care for. Ripped the glow plastic rings off and started attracting the right kind.

Reactions: makairaa
    Upvote 0