tunakillerjoe1

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
I know this has been gone over in years past in BD, but why not ask? I saw these small glow sticks at party city, and thought about stuffing one in the bait cages. Anyone tried these? I know, the enemy of good is better! I thought in dirty water...maybe?

Glowsticks II.jpg Glowsticks III.jpg

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
Jun 22, 2014
No Grave But the Sea
Name
Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
Boat
Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
Don't know but would like to find out.

My theory would be no. The reason being is lobsters typically only crawl under the cover of darkness to avoid detection from predators. By having a light source there it will then be lighting up the area of where they will be. I could be totally wrong, just my thought. The other thing I was thinking about would be it being a homing beacon for the sea lions.

djam

Jun 2, 2008
Irvine
Name
Dave
Boat
Parker 2320 (Terabite)
I would think not, I know when we used to dive for them it was key not to flash them with the light. I also have heard that the white of bait cages can scare them, but not confirmed and plenty of people use white tubes. Maybe drop a few with and few without and see if there is a noticeable difference. You should drop two next to each other, so you have a closer apples to apples comparison.

nefarious235

Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
I use them in my balloons (white)for nighttime WSB fishing

Reactions: FloMar

tunakillerjoe1

Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
All good observations. I thought I heard something about the specific spectrum of light attracting them. Maybe just the rave ones.

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
They were selling nets with glow in the dark rings once upon a time. So I assume they can work. I do agree that they are more likely to cause more seal problems than they will attract lobsters though.

Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
I tried something similar one time, I had a GoPro and a light attached to the net, it didn’t seem to affect anything and this was an LED dive light. Lobsters don’t have great vision, they go primarily off their antennas and smell, but I imagine they can tell a glow from darkness, maybe not clearly like humans, but at least they know it’s different.

Reactions: makairaa

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
I know this has been gone over in years past in BD, but why not ask? I saw these small glow sticks at party city, and thought about stuffing one in the bait cages. Anyone tried these? I know, the enemy of good is better! I thought in dirty water...maybe?

View attachment 1097009 View attachment 1097010
Years ago did some testing of the concept. Nothing was conclusive good or bad, there were benefits and issues. As many have stated lobster will find the bait by smell/scent and other means. You have to put your nets in the correct spot each night, which is a bigger nut you need to crack first. My short answer is it’s a waste of time and mental energy. John.

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
They work great..... if you use them on your floats!

In the hoop? Not so much! :D

skrilla

allirks
May 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Len
Boat
plastic fantastic
They were selling nets with glow in the dark rings once upon a time. So I assume they can work. I do agree that they are more likely to cause more seal problems than they will attract lobsters though.
I bought those. Caught more stingray orgies than I care for. Ripped the glow plastic rings off and started attracting the right kind.

Reactions: makairaa