vincentek9

halibut suck
Apr 9, 2010
anaheim, CA
Name
Vince
Boat
AVparker
If you're serious about catching large quantities of squid and have the money/space for it... I've tested out many different light options and squid catching styles but here are my 2 cents.

LED lights work (best for small boats that cant carry large generators). Metal halide is awesome (if you have a generator)
Brighter is better. Whether you go LED or MH, try to get max lumen output. What's a fast way to get even brighter? staying a good distance away from a boat that has a light in the water.
Green vs Blue vs White bulbs, whatever. we'rve floated squid without an issue.
Don't just stick to that 90-120' depth range. We're typically the furthest boat out in pyramid cove drifting in 180-220' when it looks a bit crowded. Never had an issue floating squid in that depth.
The Promar Deluxe Pro dip net is your best friend. We've used big 15' long crowders and custom made dip nets and whatever, but the promar deluxe pro dip net is the best for smaller boats as it collapses, the top net ring is removable, an the mesh is clear which made squid less freaked out by it. make sure to clean and dry the net after you scoop up squid or else the stinky black ink will stain the mesh.

squidiot

Jan 28, 2007
Channel Islands Beach
Name
Tim
Boat
Glaspec 42
If you want to do it right the first time get a 400 Watt HPS light from Squid Max. Have a mono crowder and a brail of some sort with at least a 24 inch ring. Do that and your good to go. LED light does not work well.

Reactions: Bella star

Rjunky

professionally unprofessional
Sep 12, 2015
Santa Clarita CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
26 osprey lc
i used the hydro glow the last couple years and this year i got josh's light "squidmax". the new light is pretty intense but i still have my green one just in case. they both work. just kinda hard to put away the new one when it a good float. hell i was able to keep em up just with the deck lights after i was done and turned the big light off.

Reactions: NonsenseDad

Califbill

Jun 16, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Name
Bill
Boat
Gypsea
On a cruise ship in Chili we watched the squid float from just a standard deck light. Was actually pretty cool. First the squid, then small smaller fish going after the squid, then bigger fish, then hammerhead sharks.

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
i used the hydro glow the last couple years and this year i got josh's light "squidmax". the new light is pretty intense but i still have my green one just in case. they both work. just kinda hard to put away the new one when it a good float. hell i was able to keep em up just with the deck lights after i was done and turned the big light off.
Which one did you get? O wonder if I can runa 1kw off a 1500 inverter?

Rjunky
Rjunky
I got the 400w metal halide. I dunno about the 1kw. I know Josh steered me away from it saying it wasn't necessary. I always run the motor when I have my inverter on
Upvote 0

historic

Oct 29, 2003
3 Rivers
Name
Jack
Boat
2459 Trophy "Driftwood"
Which one did you get? O wonder if I can runa 1kw off a 1500 inverter?
Just remember you have to multiply the AC amperage by 10 when using a 12v inverter so a 1kw 120 volt light will use 8.3 amps but will take 83 + out of your battery to do it

But you don’t need a 1kw light. I have a 400 watt metal halide and it raises squid good if they are around. Honda eu1000 runs it for 9 hours on a gallon of gas

Reactions: aguachico

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
I have a long green LED stick that works ok, but I hit it with the prop/

I don;t want to carry my genny at an extra 40#, so 400 watts will do.

I was looking at lumitech... $$$

historic

Oct 29, 2003
3 Rivers
Name
Jack
Boat
2459 Trophy "Driftwood"
I have a couple of 15 inch green fluorescent that are 12v that I use sometimes at work OK but nothing compared to the metal halide light

400 Watt metal halide light will probably take about 35 A to run on your inverter so I hope you have some big batteries if you plan on using them for a few hours

I hear you on the extra weight of the generator that’s why I got the E 1000 it’s only 27 pounds and fits down by my portable toilet so it’s out-of-the-way when I’m not using it

Anyway good luck I’m sure you’re gonna love whatever light you get

Reactions: Bella star
May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
I saved some bucks with a $339 Harbor Freight genset/inverter that works just as well as the expensive Hondas and Yamahas....There are many ways to rig some cheap lights, as it isn't rocket science...two shop lights on a pvc pole, etc...Asian commercial guys string outdoor lights around their hulls and that works. This year I will play with some LED outdoor lights ($39 on sale at Costco) tied to my ss railings with velcro ties...
...The guy with the brightest lights wins the game, so, try to avoid the commercial squid boats...If they pull in next to you, it's game over...
....p.s. squid on a color meter look like snow flakes when up off the bottom and blue clumps when stacked up on the bottom..they lay their eggs near kelp where the eggs stick to the kelp strands...no kelp...probably no squid...good luck..

NoFeelings

Almost A Member
Aug 5, 2012
Irvine/CA/U.S.A.
Name
Eddy
Boat
Parker 2320 “No Feelings”
Is that squid? I see these balls from time to time, but always assumed it was small bait fish.
For me, a cloud structure with yellowish green mixed into it, without defined lines gives good confidence I have squid under me. Also translucent clouds near bottom that wisps into the cloud.

since baitfish have backbones, the return marks are more defined and darker in color. Usually without strings that extend to bottom. Usually bottom is well defined and without sounding marks indicating anything hugging bottom.

sardines:

Squid:

PS I’m not very good at this so anything I have to say may be detrimental to your success.

72A4C257-CC24-4BAC-81E5-91181A860C07.jpeg

6E56BF5A-9755-492F-BBCF-9E5AA57BCC2F.jpeg

Reactions: historic
May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
I don't suggest getting close to a commercial squid boat...those boys are hardcore and will wrap your boat...not a good situation..hell, they will try to crowd you out anyway if they arrive and you are on a good spot...has happened to me more than once...

Reactions: Blackfish

historic

Oct 29, 2003
3 Rivers
Name
Jack
Boat
2459 Trophy "Driftwood"
I was shopping for lights for my new shop and found these 140 watt lights that supposedly replace 500 watt metal halide. Look perfect for a squid light

One on each side mounted in a rod holder and 40,000 lumens of squid attracting light!

Around $140 each I paid a lot more for my bulky 400 watt metal halide

Hope this helps somebody, I may give them a try and you guys looking for an inverter friendly light shout too

Reactions: Rjunky