Light setup for making squid

Ben Green

Jul 15, 2017
Malibu
Name
Ben
Boat
Fish
Planning on taking my seabass/yt fishing to the next level this season, so first issue is making squid.
So far I have only made squid using a squid jig with moderate success, I also have a small squid light that hooks up the battery (pretty useless).
I am considering getting a generator with some more serious light action, so any advice on what to look at would be highly appreciated (Been looking at the Honda EU2200i)
Oh and btw I need something compact as this is for a 22' GW :)

Thanks

Ben Green

Jul 15, 2017
Malibu
Name
Ben
Boat
Fish
Something like below, obviously this one sold but a metal halide setup is what you want.

Any idea where I can buy those or something similar? I've googled around without much success

nefarious235

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
I use the 24 inch and a 12-volt jump box

NoFeelings

Almost A Member
Aug 5, 2012
Irvine/CA/U.S.A.
Name
Eddy
Boat
Parker 2320 “No Feelings”
I use the hydro glow 45. It’s all LED and very bright. I switch out the alligator clip connectors to Anderson power poles and connect to a goal zero yeti 1500x. You could def use the Honda you mentioned and a cig lighter connection

It’s 45 watts and tiny.... Can run that thing forever. I bought my hydro glow at Mahi tackle in HB. They have some in stock still.

I’d recommend a mono dip net, 8 feet or a crowder if you have room for it on the boat. ( I don’t and I don’t think you want to lug around a crowder either) Promar makes production model non dip nets. Most times they don’t float right on the surface. Let me know if you need a discount code. If baller, get some custom bamboo ones that are super light from Morita customs.

Good luck with new adventure!

17AA439E-BE62-4BDC-A4C1-3324DAA764A8.jpeg

37F9DC2B-41E5-4D6B-A968-CE124888621D.jpeg

Last edited:

irob2

Sep 26, 2010
S.D
Name
robert
Boat
REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
Planning on taking my seabass/yt fishing to the next level this season, so first issue is making squid.
So far I have only made squid using a squid jig with moderate success, I also have a small squid light that hooks up the battery (pretty useless).
I am considering getting a generator with some more serious light action, so any advice on what to look at would be highly appreciated (Been looking at the Honda EU2200i)

Thanks
If you want to make the ultimate light I use a 600w hps that goes in the water I get it float when others struggle not to mention flyers love it

Aug 21, 2020
Burbank, California
Name
Harry karaoglanian
Boat
Tiara 3900 open
I have the same question but I am coming from a sport boat. My batteries are underneath the engine room and don’t want to go that route. I can run my genset and that’ll give me 110 and I have some outlets in the cockpit. Just wondering how do people hook up these lights with an AC/DC panel and/or on board genset (onan) on a 42’ vessel? Ideally it would be awesome to kind of have something hooked up where I can turn it on and off with the dash toggle switches like an “accessory” with the breaker and everything running on the 12v (DC) side of things.

Fat Daddy

Almost A Member
Sep 27, 2004
Corona
Name
Andy
Boat
Parker 2520 DVSC Diesel
I have used both the metal halide and hydro glow. I like the hailde for lumens but hate the noise and exhaust. The hydro glow puts out a greenish tint and more then enough light for most nights. I make bait by myself all the time both with a crowder and dipnet depending on volume.

It's always better to buy bait if its available- staying up all night swinging a net around for ones and twos gets old fast.

Reactions: inifish

alwaysbendo

Jun 28, 2007
El segundo
Name
Vinnnnn
Boat
23' seacraft

Thanks

What I use is a 1000 generator, don’t need the 2000 unless you want to use a 1000w light which is probably not necessary. A good 600w metal halide or hps setup is best. I know Squidmax makes some killer setups. I make my own.. you’ll want this brighter light if you fish Catalina especially when there’s other boats around it’ll float squid way better than those green 12v ones.. and the flying fish will literally jump in your boat

Whiskey Line

Respect the craft.
Jul 6, 2012
San Diego
Name
Daniel
Boat
Game On
I have a squidmax light. Josh who makes them is super good dude. Really responsive, and his lights are bright like the sun. Can't go wrong there. We make bait with them, and they crush.

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
Aug 7, 2008
Westminster, CA
Name
Brian
Boat
2005 Grady White Seafarer 228 (no name yet)
Well I know one thing, you almost want 4 lights if you are really serious. Sometimes the green works good and others the white halide/hps works better. Also, above the water some days and under water on others.

Highwayman

• Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    Any idea where I can buy those or something similar? I've googled around without much success
    The Pacific Edge shop is in Huntington Beach On Edinger. Mark Wisch owns it and is a top of the line bait tank builder. He also wrote two Classic books on White Seabass. If you’re in the area stop by. Check the website.

Ben Green

Jul 15, 2017
    Malibu
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    Fish
    Picked up my Squidmax light from Josh the other day and all set with a Honda 2200 generator, getting serious this season, have the first (out of many) Catalina trips scheduled for Apr 2nd...

Errin

Snorkeler
    Jun 22, 2015
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Errin
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    Nobody has mentioned LED transom lights yet, they also work similar to the glow sticks. Lumitec makes some good products but there are other brands as well.

Expensive and you're punching holes in your hull below the water line but it is a no-hassle approach once they are installed.

skipjack

Oct 20, 2004
    santa maria
    Name
    skip
    Boat
    2320 Parker "Donna Marie"
    we can usually make all the squid we need catching it during the day or night without lights,although I do have a light.

Tail Chaser

Aug 31, 2004
    Claremont
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Hobie Outback

Thanks
    I use LED pool lights

Reactions: Blackfish