Light line drag questions

sdrepairman

Jul 2, 2012
san diego
Name
nick
Boat
n/a
so, I know about the drag rule for offshore fishing where you set the drag at around 30% and it has served me vary well,but what do you do when your fishing light line and inshore. Say 15 lb line and down. I would think that you would want more than 3 lb of drag while using 10 lb test. So do you guys have any sort of rule for setting the drag on light line?

Upvote 0

FullFlavorPike

Ready to go toe to toe on bird law any time.
Jun 15, 2016
Altas Normales
Name
IP
Boat
Yakky McYakface
I fish 20# fluoro topshots for local YT and set the drag to 5-6# and it works alright. Takes a while to get them up, but I'm pretty sure they'd bust off with any more drag than that.

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
If your mono and/or Floro are up to snuff, you can still do the 30%. For 20# I would run 7#of drag personally (And do..).
My .02

Upvote 0

Jigslinger

Fishing is an incurable disease
Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
Man...it's amazing how precise you guys are with setting drags! I'm impressed.

All my years of fishing I've never used a scale to get the exact drag pressure. It's been 100% by feel.

Reactions: plj46
Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
:-):-):-):-)
Man...it's amazing how precise you guys are with setting drags! I'm impressed.

All my years of fishing I've never used a scale to get the exact drag pressure. It's been 100% by feel.

I do use a scale as I don't trust the old pull by hand and my OCD wont allow it...
:)

Reactions: Jigslinger
Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I never use a scale.I go by feel,start a little light and tighten it up if i feel its necessary.I think drag settings should also be determined by the size of hook you're using also.

Upvote 0

titos334

VIP Elite Member
Aug 19, 2012
Hell
Name
Kevin
Boat
Rainbow Surprise
On light line if I were to use a scale i'd set it at 25%. For 20 and under I don't really ever use a scale. I just pull on the line and as I feel the line start to stretch a little is when I want the drag to slip.

Reactions: dave_k
Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
Brookings Oregon
Name
mike
Boat
19"Gregor
I used to do it strictly by hand.Since these larger fish have showed up I find myself doing by scale allowing myself to put max pressure on these fish.
IMHO a lot of these larger fish are lost by not putting enough pressure on the fish.
The longer you hang on the more chance something bad is going to happen.

Reactions: ripped
Upvote 0

FullFlavorPike

Ready to go toe to toe on bird law any time.
Jun 15, 2016
Altas Normales
Name
IP
Boat
Yakky McYakface
I use precise weight for the lever drags, so that way you can go full drag with 100% confidence that it won't be even a little too much. Maybe it's cheating, but it sure is nice.

Baller is right that 7# is gonna work on 20#, at least for a flyline. Maybe not a dropper loop because it's so much weaker, but It would probably work especially if you have the sense to back it off a little during a hard run and when the fish comes up for the gaff shot.

Upvote 0

bueller

Desert Dweller
Jul 18, 2014
Name
Steve
Boat
nope
I also set the drag at 7# when fishing 20. It's served me well until last year on a half day I hooked a big YT and 7#s wasn't going to do it.

Upvote 0