Dexter Outdoors

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat
LONG RANGE fishing
Does anyone know how long Spectra (Braid) line is suppose to last on a reel? I would imagine that the backing part of the Braid would last longer the the section that connects to the leader, but at what point should Spectra be replace because it is has lost its quality?. Mono may last a year or so, but Sun; Heat; cold; and other factors affect its quality. What about Braid?

Upvote 0

bbuck

Dec 20, 2005
On the Water
Name
Buck
Boat
sunk
It depends, if your fishing a short top shot and have a lot of spectra in the water, your going to have a wear and tear issue as spectra tangles are common. When the deck hands pick out these tangles, they can damage the line by breaking one of the threads. So I would change it every 3 or 4 years depending on how often you go.
If you’re using it for backing in could last 6 to 8 years .

Upvote 0

mmayo

Barking Spider
  • Jul 18, 2006
    Tehachapi, CA
    www.landofmayo.com
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Vagabond & Royal Star
    No scientific but I just replaced some ten year old JB solid and Izor solid spectra. Both still tested out great, but had a splice somewhere and that bothered me. I’m sure there were tangles since I belong to the Barking Spiders.

I wash my spectra every couple of years.

Upvote 0

ripped

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Cruz
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Vagabond
    Shamefully I have spectra on reels with long topshots that are 12+ years old and have never failed me or shown any sign of fatigue. Like Mark, I pull it off the reel and wash it every 2+ years. By washing it, I have the opportunity to reverse the line and moveit from the bottom to the top. I agree with Buck that with a short topshot it's a good idea to change out the last 100 yards or so depending on what kind of a workout a reel gets.

Something I've never been very good at but is a good idea to keep a fishing log for reels as to cleaning schedule, line and drag capacity, and how hard a particular reel gets a workout so I know what needs to be done with the reel. I try to be as mizorley as possible with my fishing dollars and try to stretch things where I can... this stuff ain't cheap!

Reactions: eric harner
    Upvote 0

Joda

Jan 3, 2016
    Walnut, ca
    Name
    Jonathan c
    Boat
    one day
    Shamefully I have spectra on reels with long topshots that are 12+ years old and have never failed me or shown any sign of fatigue. Like Mark, I pull it off the reel and wash it every 2+ years. By washing it, I have the opportunity to reverse the line and moveit from the bottom to the top. I agree with Buck that with a short topshot it's a good idea to change out the last 100 yards or so depending on what kind of a workout a reel gets.

Something I've never been very good at but is a good idea to keep a fishing log for reels as to cleaning schedule, line and drag capacity, and how hard a particular reel gets a workout so I know what needs to be done with the reel. I try to be as mizorley as possible with my fishing dollars and try to stretch things where I can... this stuff ain't cheap!

How do you wash the spectra? Thanks

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    One of my rules in the work I did was QVV. That involved the people I worked with and also worked for. QVV stands for Qualify, Verify, Validate. And that I do for people I know and work with. Keeps me thinking straight.

Oops, wrong thread.

Upvote 0

ripped

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Cruz
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Vagabond
    Swifty Line Washing System. It's been gone a long while but I think Island Tackle may still carry them, give um a call. You can make your own by drilling 3/8"- 1/2" holes to a large empty line spool both the arbor and sides. Just be sure to sand the holes to get rid of any sharp edges or burs from drilling. Mount the spool to a long threaded bolt and use a drill to get the line off your reel. Soak for 3+ days in a 5 gallon bucket changing the water a few times. Some guys put the spool in their toilet tank. After letting it dry for several days you can put it back on your reel. You'll have to come up with something to put tension on the spool to pack the line back on your reel. VERY IMPORTANT TO PUT IT ON TIGHT!! Penn makes a good line winder with a tensioner that won't break the bank. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Joda

Jan 3, 2016
    Walnut, ca
    Name
    Jonathan c
    Boat
    one day
    This winder?
    70276F43-6D56-400A-8E8F-AB2F8E1203A7.png

Upvote 0