oceanjake

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 10, 2005
Long Beach
Name
Jake
Boat
60' hatteras enclosed bridge
I do carry one, with a separate EPIRB and rations inside. If I didn't I would be sure at minimum to have some additional floatation device aboard such as a paddleboard, lily pad, etc that a person(s) could at least cling to if the boat went down until help arrived.

sbsurfer

Feb 19, 2010
Name
Mark
Boat
29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
I don't bc I always have an EPIRB, surfboards, kayaks and wetsuits on the boat. About 20% of the time I go out I have a 9ft dingy on the roof.

Last edited:

Mr Lingcod

Mar 20, 2017
Santa Barbara
Name
Jesse
Boat
The Last Soviet
How many of you actually carry a life raft onboard?

If you don't, what is the #1 reason you don't?
I"m the guy with two kayaks and paddles on the roof, one surfboard in the cabin, an e-purb & handheld radio ready to go. Will my boat sink mid-channel? Hell no. But that's hardly the point. Just like your excessive anchor chain in your anchor locker, there's a good amount, then there's enough.... and then there's more than enough and you go enjoy your overnight or island hike.

FINADDICT*

SKIPPER
Jul 22, 2008
California
Name
Fingers
Boat
Finaddict*
I have always had it in the back of my mind, yes, reality for the smaller boats? IDK. They weigh a lot and are spacious Would be cool to have 1 of those automatic inflated 1’s when they get wet I see on the bows of some of the larger boats.
Good life jacket, epirb, and hand held is about the best some of us can do.
Epirb is awesome because when shit hits the fan, it does everything for you.

Reactions: Shewillbemine

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
I've always thought of having a life raft. Now that I'm going offshore more often and taking more passengers, I feel like it's my responsibility to account for all situations and safety options.

Revere makes fairly compact life rafts and the smallest ones can fit on my center console. I'm wondering if the "inshore" models are "good enough" or if I might as well spring for an offshore model.