Offshore Liberty Full Day 7/3

jlollis

May 25, 2020
San Diego, CA
Name
Joel
Boat
Reel Therapy
Went out on the Liberty Full Day Trip on 6/3. We spent the entire day in Mexican water. The Captain and Crew are first class. They are patient, helpful and helped everyone avoid tangles as best you can with 41 people on a boat.

Captain had us on fish all day. They filled the water column every stop from 200ft to on the surface. We had everyone fishing everything. Flyline, Sinker Rigs and Flat Falls. I had a bit of an unlucky streak in the morning hours getting caught in the mess of several very slack flyline lines that led to no other choice than to just cut it all for everyone involved. Fish were hitting the deck at every stop. Fish were from 20-120 pounds.

Captain decided to give us a last stop at 3:30 or 4(forget what time it was) because his screens were top to bottom filled with bluefin. I decided to go flyline with my Penn Fathom 40 with a 2/0 demon circle hook. We were belly hooking all flyline baits. First 3 baits wouldnt work for me. Picked a winner on the 4th try. Sent it out and it took off. Soon after my line started dumping. Put it in gear and the battle began. Up and down the starboard side and over and back the anchor 7 times. Crew was great with my million questions while fighting the fish because there was no way in hell after my morning I was losing this fish. All in all about a 40 minute fight with a very angry 65# Bluefin. My biggest tuna ever and just for good measure I had some of the heart.

The Liberty is a great operation and Sara in the kitchen is amazing, as well.

IMG_2894.jpeg

IMG_2881.jpeg

jlollis

May 25, 2020
San Diego, CA
Name
Joel
Boat
Reel Therapy
Yeah. There are lots of fish but chum is the name of the game. We have our own boat and we havent been able to chum enough to bring them up. We had one stop where they must have thrown 7-10 full nets of bait. That maxes out a lot of private boaters bait tanks

W
woodfish330
I get ya brother. $50 buck worth of chum in 10 seconds...and STILL no risers....? Frustrating for sure...
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Great catch brother! Good intel.... and fine picts. Although ....to some this maybe just another BFT pict.... but to you... a life memory for sure. Happy you finally got em. Be safe!

Upvote 0

Caseymcv

Old man
    Feb 6, 2017
    Wildomar
    Name
    Casey
    Boat
    In my dreams
    Went out on the Liberty Full Day Trip on 6/3. We spent the entire day in Mexican water. The Captain and Crew are first class. They are patient, helpful and helped everyone avoid tangles as best you can with 41 people on a boat.

Captain had us on fish all day. They filled the water column every stop from 200ft to on the surface. We had everyone fishing everything. Flyline, Sinker Rigs and Flat Falls. I had a bit of an unlucky streak in the morning hours getting caught in the mess of several very slack flyline lines that led to no other choice than to just cut it all for everyone involved. Fish were hitting the deck at every stop. Fish were from 20-120 pounds.

Captain decided to give us a last stop at 3:30 or 4(forget what time it was) because his screens were top to bottom filled with bluefin. I decided to go flyline with my Penn Fathom 40 with a 2/0 demon circle hook. We were belly hooking all flyline baits. First 3 baits wouldnt work for me. Picked a winner on the 4th try. Sent it out and it took off. Soon after my line started dumping. Put it in gear and the battle began. Up and down the starboard side and over and back the anchor 7 times. Crew was great with my million questions while fighting the fish because there was no way in hell after my morning I was losing this fish. All in all about a 40 minute fight with a very angry 65# Bluefin. My biggest tuna ever and just for good measure I had some of the heart.

The Liberty is a great operation and Sara in the kitchen is amazing, as well.

View attachment 1295701

View attachment 1295702

Upvote 0

Nuckz23

• Jun 15, 2021
    SF Bay Area
    Name
    Ruben Inocencio
    Boat
    Yo mama
    Nice work! I'll be going on my first trip on the Liberty on 7/18 for an all day offshore myself. Hope I get lucky! How long of a trip was it to get to the grounds?

Upvote 0

jlollis

May 25, 2020
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Joel
    Boat
    Reel Therapy
    Nice work! I'll be going on my first trip on the Liberty on 7/18 for an all day offshore myself. Hope I get lucky! How long of a trip was it to get to the grounds?
    It was about 2 hours to the grounds. We all spent that time rigging and then they did the seminar and gave some really good tips on hooks, hooking bait, etc. The Captain was great, we did not have Taro(I forget the Captains name that day). We were supposed to be back at dock at 5:30 but we fished until 5:30. Crew is awesome. Food is great. I hope you have the same experience. They want hooks 1/0, 2/0, 3/0 and maybe 4/0. I put a 2/0 on my 40# rig and a 3/0 on my heavier set up. Almost every fish was caught flyline and on a 40# setup.

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

Nuckz23

• Jun 15, 2021
    SF Bay Area
    Name
    Ruben Inocencio
    Boat
    Yo mama
    It was about 2 hours to the grounds. We all spent that time rigging and then they did the seminar and gave some really good tips on hooks, hooking bait, etc. The Captain was great, we did not have Taro(I forget the Captains name that day). We were supposed to be back at dock at 5:30 but we fished until 5:30. Crew is awesome. Food is great. I hope you have the same experience. They want hooks 1/0, 2/0, 3/0 and maybe 4/0. I put a 2/0 on my 40# rig and a 3/0 on my heavier set up. Almost every fish was caught flyline and on a 40# setup.
    Awesome, thanks for the tips. I've been getting all my gear together the last few weeks. The smaller circle hooks are hard to come by these days. Sounds like it could be a long day out there but maybe can get some rest in the bunks as we travel to and from.

Reactions: woodfish330
    W
    woodfish330
    Brother.... you'll have plenty of time for napping after you fill your own limit...lol. After that.... your helping others voluntarily. At that point its up to you.

Hooks.... try calling smaller....less traveled stores.... they have "phantom stock" no one was counting on.... but you. (LIFE TIP!!) Good luck.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0