Offshore Liberty 7/18/20

Jiggermeister

May 27, 2012
San Diego
Name
David
Boat
None
It was the first overnighter in a couple of years. I got asked to go on a private charter by a friend. It was the a very limited load of 21 people on the Liberty out of Fisherman’s. My first overnighter in a couple of years.

The bait was not the best condition, 1/2 was nice the other 1/2 really beat up.

The fishing was very close to home, we where within site of Point Loma and the Coronado Islands all day. As soon as it turned 9am there were signs of life everywhere. But the fish were all scattered.

The very first stop of the day was on a foamer that stayed up. I managed one on a Katy Perry Daiwa SK jig swam straight through the foam on the long rod. Easy 30lb grade. Another guy caught one on what looked like a 140gr coltsniper stickbait.

We ended up running and gunning all day, but none of the schools stayed up like that first stop. We had a pick bite of different schools picking up 3-4 fish, nothing went wide open or stayed with the boat.

The boat count was 34 BFT, 2 YFT for 21 ppl.

I ended up going 2/4, not a very good ratio. One was lost on 25 bait, I had forgotten that rig had gone through 8-9 yellowtail in the last month without being retied. I fish 40 lb spectra, to a 100’ 20# mono, to either 20/25 flouro. I had the fish up to leader a couple of times but on the last run the connection hit a guide and exploded in a puff.

The other fish casualty was on a 100gr green Aji coltsniper, the fish was at color a couple of cranks from gaff and all of a sudden the fish went on way and my jig came flying out the other way. Someone’s line had come across my jig and pulled it out, oh well it would have been a bonus fish anyways.
B6B2A35D-E2B5-4B51-9C69-894087506C7F.jpeg

The recommendation was 60-100gr coltsnipers, 1-0 to 2-0 circle hooks on 60-80 and 6-8 oz sinker, 30-50lb flyline.

If I had to do it over, I would have a stealth 25 flyline, meaning 40 braid to 20 mono and 25 flouro (25 for the chew factor, it is bluefin) 30-40 lb sinker rig with a 4-5oz sinker, and 100gr coltsniper in white.

The Liberty was great. I had a fantastic day on the water, and I can’t wait to do it again. The fish are biting, get out there!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
OC
Name
Erik
Boat
Spaghetti Madness
Thanks for the report, some good info regarding what worked and what you'd recommend. I will be on the Liberty this Saturday, should be a good time. With so many different grades of fish I'm bringing at the least 6 setups. 20,25,30,40 and 60 live bait, plus a jig rod and maybe a 80-100lb flat fall rig for an All Day boat!

Reactions: Jiggermeister
Upvote 0

Mark C.

Jul 20, 2005
Murrieta
Name
Mark
Boat
1802 Trophy WA
Thanks for the report and excellent quality fish. At least you had 4 cracks at them, so you were doing things right. Change that mono topshot every trip, it’s one of those things that’s within your control. Mono is very cheap, and 100ft of it is nothing. Fresh mono will also have much less memory/coils giving you an even stealthier bait presentation. I’m always hesitant to use 20lb mono when fishing bft on party boats, and go with a fresh top of 25lb Izor XXX giving me the options of using 20-30lb fluoro topshot since Izor XXX actual breaking strength is a bit above 25lbs. 20lb mono in a tangle stands a much less chance of making it out, just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0

ranchero

fishing-pox..?I have fishing plauge
Apr 29, 2004
SD
Name
Al
Boat
25 skipjack -Albatross
sounds like killer fishing- love that run and gun bft foamers straight out from the pt like 10 mi- That alley is magic for bft materializing. So fun! 2/4 on bft- you kidding? That ratio is great. Water been cold at N county beaches last 2 days. Last night we were grunioning and water had warmed back up. Kinda was thinking the cold water break would bring them in close- but what do I know.

Upvote 0

Mike D.

Dec 18, 2018
Newport
Name
Michael
Boat
Surfboard
Are you guys running treble or singles on coltsniper jigs? I was on a boat and missed one using a single hook. Im sure there are factors, but noticed the deckhand hooking them on foamers with his coltsniper with a treble. Half of his came up snagged.

Upvote 0

Jiggermeister

May 27, 2012
San Diego
Name
David
Boat
None
It depends what grade they’re, if it’s this 20-50. I don’t really worry about the stock trebles, if it’s more I change out to assist hooks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0