stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
Fished the Liberty today. The boat landed five nice BFT. Two cows were landed 249 and 223 pounds. Sinker rigs and heavy line worked today.

My fish was estimated at 110 and came in fourth. Two of us shared our fish with the other customers. Benevolence is a good feeling.

Couldn't upload photos. Enjoy the short video of the 223 getting gaffed.

Ctony.clark

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 14, 2012
Carlsbad, Ca, u.s.a.
Name
Tony Clark
Boat
Freedom Boat Club
Amazing that this opportunity to land a cow in local waters exists, and seems to only be getting better over the last three years. Congratulations on your catch!

Reactions: Geo-Fish and stuman

stuman

Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
Congrats!! These fish were hooked on?
249 lb hooked on a rental Talica 16 and 50 lb test - amazing they landed this fish.
223 lb Talica 20 and 80 lb test
140 lb Talica 20 and 80 lb test - same guy as the 223. and it was his birthday
110 lb Penn Fathom 40N and 60 lb Blackwater - my fish
80 lb - unknown data.

Captain Anibal kept us well informed about the schools position and depth. The BFT moved quickly from breezers to 450 feet. The bluefin were plugged with red crab and a weird jellyfish?

Most fish were hooked in deep water, while soaking sardines with 4 to 8 ounce sinkers. One fish was hooked on the slide, with a flatfall. On the boat ride out the crew made sure we were ready with heavy tackle. Stepping up to 50-80 lb test will increase your odds.

Deckhand Paul gave the speech this morning. He recommended 80 lb test and 2/0 to 3/0 circle hooks. The Liberty provided the rubberbands for the sinker rigs. They took care of the anglers that didn't bring torpedo sinkers. They were on their "A" game and wanted to see big BFT put on board. The teamwork made for a successful trip.

stuman

Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
Great Report!
What rod did you pair with the Fathom40?
How long did it take to get it on the boat?

Thank you!
I used a Calstar 865H that my brother wrapped for me. The game plan was to fish 40 or 50 lb spectra to fluorocarbon on the glass rod. At the last minute, I decided to rig up with 60 and 80 lb test. My other Fathom was rigged with a 60 lb mono topshot on a Calstar Grafighter 765XL.

Looking back, I should have brought two heavier rods. The 865H became a noodle with a big fish and 15 lbs of drag.

It seemed like, I was on the fish for an hour. But time slows down or speeds up under stress.

Last edited:

Larmo

Strip it. Mend it. Hit it!
Jul 11, 2004
San Diego
www.lawrenceshea.com
Name
Larry
Boat
Your Cabo
Fished the Liberty today. The boat landed five nice BFT. Two cows were landed 249 and 223 pounds. Sinker rigs and heavy line worked today.

My fish was estimated at 110 and came in fourth. Two of us shared our fish with the other customers. Benevolence is a good feeling.

Couldn't upload photos. Enjoy the short video of the 223 getting gaffed.

That’s a great idea. Treat the sporties like a private boat and split the catch. Guys who don’t catch buy the beer on the way home.

New friends are worth more than fish.