EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
I think it is obvious at this point.....the bigger the pot, the more bait it can hold, the larger your take. Are bigger pots, that take up more space worth it, life comes down to cost/benefit analysis???????? That's up to said shrimper. This done?

bobberdoggin

‘Butt Kraken
Mar 23, 2015
Name
Thomas
Boat
22’ SeaSport Sportsman ‘Butt Kraken
I switched from McKay pots to large Ladner pots. At first I was disappointed, but soon realized that Ladner pots just need to soak a bit longer between pulls. Since making that change, I’m a firm believer in Ladner pots.

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
I think this is way over thought. They all catch prawns. Set where there's prawns, weight heavy, bait heavy and don't let your pots drift on a heavy tide.
On rigid pots, the biggest difference between cheap and better traps is the entrances. The funnel/tunnel type are slower to catch, vs rectangle/ramp entrances. With our 4-hour derby openers, it’s more critical to make it easier for shrimp to get in than It is to keep them in the pot for a longer time.

Chasin' Tail

~Jumpers!!~ <*)))><
Aug 10, 2008
Lacey WA
Name
Mike
Boat
17' Thor-Built Sled, 27' NorthRiver OS
I switched from McKay pots to large Ladner pots. At first I was disappointed, but soon realized that Ladner pots just need to soak a bit longer between pulls. Since making that change, I’m a firm believer in Ladner pots.
Where we shrimp we only get 4 hours of open shrimp time.. So its the faster the better in getting shrimp into the pots. If I had all day to let pots soak, I'd probably go ladners to save storage space.

Luckily i have a pretty big Deck too. that helps as well with the big Octagons.

FHisherman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 15, 2011
Anacortes, WA
Name
Kevin
Boat
Parker
Understood about the need to put as many prawns in as possible in four hour windows. Makes the most optimum pots important, Just fyi I fish the big hexagon pots, but have limited on prawns using everything, That's probably got more to do with the area I can prawn, but the big pots help. We've got long seasons and there's been a big uptick in prawn beds in my local area. So not a derby style fishery where it's as important.

Reactions: FISHTALE2

Drop tine

Aug 8, 2009
Arlington,WA.
Name
Mike
Boat
22’ Northwest Aluminum Craft / 18’ Wooldridge Xtra Plus
6E737288-63E8-485E-88D0-B7074A46E558.jpeg
1DE750B2-BE10-45F7-89E3-D7291B0168B6.jpeg
Dungeness Gear Works pots and Electra Dyne hauler. Six tunnels and good bait. Pots fish fast.

Reactions: Tomictime

NWfishaman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 11, 2012
Bonney Lake
Name
Jim
Boat
24' NR-OS
We have two of the stealth pots from Dungeness gear works, other two are ladners. Starting to wish we would have got those 6 tunnels. Do think this is more about good bait that will disperse and actually dropping them in a good population of shrimp.

ttcustomz

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 15, 2012
Renton wa usa
Name
Thap that Fish
Boat
Arima Sea Legend 22 "Teverlan 4”Custom Weld 20offshore “Teverlan 5”
Do they sell these anywhere other than their store on Hood Canal?
Performance Marine in Everett and LFS in Ballard has McKay’s I think they are the only places selling them on this side from what the guy told me in hood canal.