Let's talk batteries.

Alysium

Sep 11, 2020
Keller Washington 99140
Name
Nate
Boat
Op220
Most aftermarket car batteries sold in the U.S. are made by three companies that build them for retailers: Johnson Controls, which supplies more than half of the market; Exide; and East Penn. They are sold under various names and built to the specifications of retailers, so performance can vary.Mar 4, 2021

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    Walmart does not make batteries... I have read somewhere the batteries come from Johnson Controls which is the producer of good batteries.... So... make sure they are sized right and kept full on charge and they should last...

Upvote 0

fishbadger

• Apr 6, 2012
    WA
    Name
    fishbadger
    Boat
    .Grady Gulfstream 232 "Herd of Turtles"
    I'm knocking on wood, in 2014 I replaced all 4 batts on my boat (dual F150's, lots of house gadgets) with group 27 dual purpose AGM's from West Marine on a deal. I used the same battery for the two starters and the two house units wired together. This'll be the 8th year on that setup and they're still doing well as far as I can tell. Halibut season is always the test for me, sitting on anchor with the gadgers running, knocking on wood,
    fb

Reactions: GregE
    Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
    Aug 11, 2019
    PNW
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    Again I just want to thank everyone for their input. There was great knowledge posted that I am sure helped more than just me.

Reactions: GregE and One_Leg

Polarbill1999

Almost A Member
    Aug 30, 2015
    Snohomish, WA
    Name
    Brett Yates
    Boat
    1996 Arima Sea Chaser
    You can also check with my bro at Blanchard Electric. They used to be a deka distributor (great batteries) but were acquired by battery systems a couple years ago. I was just asking him about golf cart 6v batteries and he said they carry centennial brand and us battery brand. From what I can tell us battery specializes in deep cycle batteries for marine, golf car, solar.

They are in Sumner and I think they still have a sattelite location in Bremerton.

Upvote 0

Fish_on!

• Feb 17, 2015
    Oly
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    18' Super Vee
    Fingers crossed on this
    20210416_202736.jpg
    Walmart battery. Going on 8 years of abuse.

Upvote 0

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
  • Sep 25, 2008
    Westport/Renton
    Name
    Cap't Paul
    Boat
    V-20 Wellcraft w/200 G2
    Polarbill, since blanchard was bought out by battery systems, only good thing left is Todd.
    Centennial are made in Philippines, great voltage, no amperage, i have sold Deka since before blanchard carried them. US brand is a medocre battery and not made in the us. Blanchard buys from us daily....Romaine Electric rocks...

Reactions: rickstah
    Jan 5, 2011
    Kenmore WA
    Name
    Kurt Kettel
    Boat
    18' Tiderunner
    Small boat guy here; not much off shore (but a lot inshore!). Two scotty's, depthfinder; 4 stroke kicker with electric start (so charging). My 2014 Costco battery just puked at Sekiu...I always carry a spare onboard which worked perfectly. Back to costco to buy their Interstate brand...always works good for me....5 years is about average--this one lasted 7. My pot puller is gas! BTW, kicking salmon ass at Sekiu! Not always hot but when it's on, it's a hoot! Been so much fun...thank God it's been open!

Boat battery.jpg

Upvote 0

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
  • Sep 25, 2008
    Westport/Renton
    Name
    Cap't Paul
    Boat
    V-20 Wellcraft w/200 G2
    To bad that interstate is a costco interstate, no other dealer will honor warranty, have to take back to costco, and did i say...made in mexico...

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    To bad that interstate is a costco interstate, no other dealer will honor warranty, have to take back to costco, and did i say...made in mexico...
    Is the made in Mexico part bad? So many companies make stuff in Mexico.... Ford, Carrier, and many other large companies.... I buy shit all the time En Hecho Mexico..... Bought genuine Cummins part last week... it arrived yesterday... made in China...😳 Crank made in Brazil, connecting rods made in India... it’s from all over...

Just curious if their batteries are worse than other because it’s made there.... Do they have some not made in Mexico or all Interstate made there?

Upvote 0

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
  • Sep 25, 2008
    Westport/Renton
    Name
    Cap't Paul
    Boat
    V-20 Wellcraft w/200 G2
    Is the made in Mexico part bad? So many companies make stuff in Mexico.... Ford, Carrier, and many other large companies.... I buy shit all the time En Hecho Mexico..... Bought genuine Cummins part last week... it arrived yesterday... made in China...😳 Crank made in Brazil, connecting rods made in India... it’s from all over...

Just curious if their batteries are worse than other because it’s made there.... Do they have some not made in Mexico or all Interstate made there?
    Remember when interstate batteries were made in canada...best batteries you could get. Johnson controls buys them out, also own exide batteries. Several years after acquiring interstate, they move to the same plant as Exide in mexico.
    Now lets go back many years, i sold Deka and when i went into a fleet and saw they had interstate i never even brought up changing them over. As of 2 yrs ago, after returning to electric sales/service, i walk in and the fleets are asking me to bring in deka so they can get the crap interstates out of their shops.
    I would never have bought a exide.

In this case, the Owner, Johnson controls have brought manufacturing of interstate along with exide to mexico and the standards/ quality control are not the best by any means.

Answer work for ya?

Reactions: TonyG and G-Spot
    Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Remember when interstate batteries were made in canada...best batteries you could get. Johnson controls buys them out, also own exide batteries. Several years after acquiring interstate, they move to the same plant as Exide in mexico.
    Now lets go back many years, i sold Deka and when i went into a fleet and saw they had interstate i never even brought up changing them over. As of 2 yrs ago, after returning to electric sales/service, i walk in and the fleets are asking me to bring in deka so they can get the crap interstates out of their shops.
    I would never have bought a exide.

In this case, the Owner, Johnson controls have brought manufacturing of interstate along with exide to mexico and the standards/ quality control are not the best by any means.

Answer work for ya?
    Yes sir... was curious.... and that answers it...

Reactions: Genie Aye
    Upvote 0