Lets spool my jx raptors what should I fill them with?

Avet Reels

tmcustoms

Dec 30, 2012
Sacramento Ca
Name
Taylor Posey
Boat
Baby Lobster
Just picked up 2 jx raptors Im going to pair them with a abyss 808 and a abyss 909 hoping to throw some jigs and live bait on them as I am pretty new with saltwater fishing top shots ect looking for some advice on what to spool them with and how long of top shots ect? Bass fishing I use all power pro braid and love it, what are the preferred brand of braid for tuna? Thanks

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
65# braid. To the top it will take 400 yds. short tops shot of your choice...

OR

Same braid but a longer top shot of 100 yds if you are yo yo fishing or surface iron

Olddog8

May 13, 2012
Poway,ca
Name
Rick
Boat
Sold long ago
I have 65lb solid on one and 80lb solid on my second one. Both are full tie on a small flouro leader to match the need. The JX and MXJ raptors are my favorite reals.

qtrracer

Jan 17, 2010
Simi Valley, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
none
The bait reel, 60lb or 80lb hollow leaving room for about 25' of flourocarbon,
the jig reel, 65 lb or 80lb solid leaving room for about 100 yards of 50lb mono.
Jerry Brown or Power Pro are both fine. Izor is good as well.

Reactions: Frijolez

Frijolez

Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach, ca, u.s.a.
Name
Dan
Boat
Mako 192 cc
I just recently got into throwing iron and yo-yo fishing as I got my boat last year. I have posted a few questions and this is basically what I learned and my opinion. I have a JX raptor and a JX 6/3.
The raptor is a beast of a reel and can easily handle the 80 pound braid, which is what I did to the top. I will be switching my top shots according to what I am fishing with this reel. If you are only fishing local pelagics and waters you are probably never going to need anything stronger than 65 lb braid as you will get more capacity and can still easily run 50 lb and 40 lb leaders. On my JX 6/3, 65 lb braid to 100 yard topshot of 40lb mono which is my dedicated surface iron setup. If you are throwing iron do not use a hollow core braid as it does not cast as well as solid core.
If you are just learning to throw the iron, trust me you will have plenty of back lashes. This is why I put on about 100 yard 40 lb mono topshot. The mono is cheaper, more forgiving, easier on my finger, and easier to get back lashes out, especially during the learning curve. When I become more proficient at flinging irons I will probably run the braid up to the top because one bad backlash could have you cutting out hundred yards of braid.
As far as color go with a light visible color if you are gonna be on party boats which makes it easier for everyone to see your line, deckhands especially, and for you too.
In conclusion I would run one raptor with 80 pound hollow core for your live bait matched to the 8 foot stick and short 2-4 foot fluorocarbon leaders and I would run 65 pound solid core with 100 yard top shot of 40# matched to the 9 foot stick as the iron flinger.

Reactions: Olddog8

qtrracer

Jan 17, 2010
Simi Valley, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
none
I've watched deckhands on the LR boats backlash a full braid jig set up, sounds like a firecracker when the jig breaks off, LOL. Plus my thumb gets burned even with wetting the spool. It's not for me.