Lets all go to BOX Cyn!!!

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
Temecula
Name
Mackerel Marauder
Boat
18' Stringari Skiff
It'd be rad if we left some YT's behind so they could re-populate for future fishing. I know, I know blast away. How many months of hauling 20+ lb.ers out of the same general area is sustainable though? I don't wanna see the DFG pull out the MLPA zone map for 2016 and see any more great spots dissappear. I'd rather see us keep it stocked naturally for future generations to enjoy. Just thought I'd pose the question....am I the only one? Let the bashing begin....

Upvote 0

Steveo77

Steveo77
Apr 22, 2012
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Name
Steve
Boat
Grumpy
It'd be rad if we left some YT's behind so they could re-populate for future fishing. I know, I know blast away. How many months of hauling 20+ lb.ers out of the same general area is sustainable though? I don't wanna see the DFG pull out the MLPA zone map for 2016 and see any more great spots dissappear. I'd rather see us keep it stocked naturally for future generations to enjoy. Just thought I'd pose the question....am I the only one? Let the bashing begin....
Looks like you might be standing alone, buddy

Upvote 0

909MARIO

Jun 30, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga
Name
Mario
Boat
Homeless
Its one spot out of hundreds of miles. Ain't gonna hurt even if a purse seiner came through and wrapped every school in the canyon.

Upvote 0

Bigsurfer

Sep 7, 2014
Name
Todd
Boat
None
Its one spot out of hundreds of miles. Ain't gonna hurt even if a purse seiner came through and wrapped every school in the canyon.

Purse seining NOT a good thing. Hook and line fishing much more environmentally sustainable.

Upvote 0

fishkev

Jul 31, 2012
woodcrest ca
Name
kevin
Boat
chriscraft cuddy 211 / 22 fiberform cabin
Not sure about it having a huge impact with the private boaters like ourselves catching 1 or two per attempt. I do know that we don't have this conversation every dec-jan about the box. The sport boats out everyday with hit & miss results makes it interesting, folks out catching yellows in jan for sure a good thing. Impact on local harvest just not sure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
It doesnt matter where or what you harvested with,a fishing rod or a gill net it got harvested.Like someone else said keep focusing on this Box Canyon place,its where all the fish are.

Upvote 0

PCH

El Nino 2015!!!!!!
Jul 14, 2008
North San Diego
Name
Paul
Boat
Gregor 20
Troll troll troll.........or your the enemy. One of the two. Stupid question and your clueless

This dude wants 200 responses dont give it to him

Reactions: cabo jon and tap
Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers

yeah dude that would be rad....I bet you vote for the same assholes that want to close shit down with no science behind it....I've said this before but I'll capitalize it for your benefit

YELLOWTAIL ARE IN NO DANGER OF BEING OVERFISHED EVEN WITH THE THOUSANDS OF RATS TAKEN ON KELP PATTIES EVERY YEAR.
over and out

Upvote 0

Phat Boat

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
Palegic fish. There only there for the bait. If there was no bait there would be no yellows. Big storm, water rolls, bait leaves and the fish are gone. Kinda clueless post. One cant bank palegic fish.

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
not to bash but do a little research yt are being caught from ventura to SQ whats that tell you about the volume now what was your question?

Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

Palegic fish. There only there for the bait. If there was no bait there would be no yellows. Big storm, water rolls, bait leaves and the fish are gone. Kinda clueless post. One cant bank palegic fish.
I agree 100%. These fish are in the lower water column getting fat on squid, red crab, or whatever. Not far from spawning. Some YT are home guards, and some are migrators. This is just one spot of fish and if they are there for the taking, thank God for the food on your plate.

Although they don't grow to maturity as fast as dorado, I think it would be difficult for sport fisherman to over-fish them. If seiners were to target them more frequently, maybe a different story.

Have a superfantastic day!

Upvote 0

BrokeLoser

Feb 16, 2011
SoCal
Name
Broke Loser
Boat
Striper
It's actually good that everyone is ignorantly focusing on Box Canyon because all of the YTs outside of that area are relatively unmolested.

Come on man...really?
Are you saying don't fish where you know for fact fish are holding all because you don't want to be part of "the fleet"?
Thats a heroic thing to say....but horrible advice. Sum Fun (and many others) have been fishing that zone for weeks now with success...Brian is not real ignorant. Always fish where you know fish are holding but stay the phuc out of others chum lines and fish your own numbers in the zone.

Upvote 0

titos334

VIP Elite Member
Aug 19, 2012
Hell
Name
Kevin
Boat
Rainbow Surprise
Come on man...really?
Are you saying don't fish where you know for fact fish are holding all because you don't want to be part of "the fleet"?

I agree with that. I don't want to fish near 90 boats with people 10yds from the boat, that's no fun. I'd much rather go out and find something different away from the fleet instead of being one of the sheep. When it comes to Brian that's a totally different ball game and not even a close comparison to private boat fishing.

Upvote 0

BrokeLoser

Feb 16, 2011
SoCal
Name
Broke Loser
Boat
Striper
I agree with that. I don't want to fish near 90 boats with people 10yds from the boat, that's no fun. I'd much rather go out and find something different away from the fleet instead of being one of the sheep. When it comes to Brian that's a totally different ball game and not even a close comparison to private boat fishing.

To each his own I guess...You missed the point though...Brian continues to fish the grounds he knows quality fish are holding at like any good fisherman does. I fished amongst "the fleet" last week; probably 50-60 vessels spread within a half mile square. Everyone had plenty of room to fight their catch...I didn't see a single tangle between boats. The "I don't fish amongst the fleet" is a noble thing said by many and supported by most in these threads but take a look around when you're out there...on the water it's a different story and most default to...yep, you guessed it...fishing amongst the fleet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats

can you link me to your posts about the micro-yt and micro-tunas that were being 'harvested' all summer long?

Upvote 0

duckbutter6a

Florida man living in SoCal
Nov 15, 2014
El Cajon
Name
Hank
Boat
Dusky 17
I am saying that there are other places to fish where there are YT. Alot of people will fish an area because they see other people fishing it or someone told them it was a good spot.

For example. I fish the Izor Reef area almost everytime I go fishing. Usually when returning from further out. I probably have 30 spots marked in the vicinity where I have found fish holding structure. One day while fishing the Izor area a private boater cruises up to me and asks if he is at Izors. I respond yes and he immediately drops anchor and starts fishing. He doesnt look around on the FF or look at conditions.

Sum Fun is rocking it because he knows the area and has the tech on the boat to find the fish. Many private boaters simply follow the herd.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

get some

So Cal Editor
BD Writer
May 1, 2005
LBC
Name
Erik
Boat
Robalo 226 Cayman
I wouldn't worry too much about how many fish are being caught off box canyon. These are not resident fish and they will leave once the conditions change. All the fish we've caught this fall and winter are fish that usually live off Baja. There is a very healthy and lightly pressured population down there and when these fish head back south they will go about their yellowtaily business in peace.

Upvote 0