Throw a couple of Wilson’s here
Aug 17, 2017
Califonia
Name
Scott
Boat
Shogun
This post is for those going out soon.
Just got back from the island. The wind was a real challenge to all aboard. It was supposed to lay down but it never did. For the conditions we had we did well. Crew was fantastic. The galley provided outstanding food. Captain Rene once again made great fishing decisions. Here’s what worked
50 to 60lb flouro to size 2 through 2/0 hooks. Some folks used 40 but I think it was too light. I almost got spooled doing it. Dropper loop got some great grade yt. Sliding 2oz egg was effective as well. There were a hand full of jig yt and some surface iron too. Most effective was flyline. This was a challenge because of wind against current. It required patience and time at the rail. The group of anglers lead by Rick was fantastic. Just a fantastic group of folks. Lots of laughs and encouragement from all. Looking forward to next year.
good luck if your going out.

regards
Scott

greatbasin

• Jun 22, 2007
    Idaho
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Knot Yet
    Great trip! As usual Scott is spot on. The island was challenging as always. But the rewards were substantial for those willing to work hard and try different approaches. I must say the fish were mean and hard fighting enough to break and bend out two of my 1/0 Nautilus circle hooks. So I switched to heavier Owner hooks
    Great group of anglers and I appreciate the vessel and crew especially with heavy seas. Can't wait til next year.

Last edited:
    Reactions: anemic and jer dog
    Upvote 0

Tim Turis

Sep 16, 2004
    Atlanta GA
    Name
    Tim Turis
    Boat
    n/a
    “I must say the fish were mean and hard fighting enough to break and bend out two of my 1/0 Nautilus circle hooks. So I switched to heavier owner hooks.”

Very similar to what we experienced on the XL last week. We had several Nautilus 2/0 and 3/0 bend/break/open up.

For 80-120# YFT, these fish pulled very HARD!!! You could get bit on 50/60#, but the fight would be ugly and prolonged. I stepped up to 80# (100# on the chunk and bobber balloon) and used 2/0 or 3/0 Charlie Brown hooks and had no issues with hooks.

IMO, the Gamakatsu Nautilus is a great hook for YFT below 80#. For YFT above 80#, I highly recommend the Charlie Brown hooks.

Last edited:

Eric_LBZ

Almost A Member
  • Dec 12, 2014
    Long Beach
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Shogun
    “I must say the fish were mean and hard fighting enough to break and bend out two of my 1/0 Nautilus circle hooks. So I switched to heavier owner hooks.”

Very similar to what we experienced on the XL last week. We had several Nautilus 2/0 and 3/0 bend/break/open up.

For 80-120# YFT, these fish pulled very HARD!!! You could get bit on 50/60#, but the fight would be ugly and prolonged. I stepped up to 80# (100# on the chunk and bobber balloon) and used 2/0 or 3/0 Charlie Brown hooks and had no issues with hooks.

IMO, the Gamakatsu Nautilus is a great hook for YFT below 80#. For YFT above 80#, I highly recommend the Charlie Brown hooks.
    Were you using the Nautilus HD?

Upvote 0

Scott McPherson

Throw a couple of Wilson’s here
    Aug 17, 2017
    Califonia
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Shogun
    Were you using the Nautilus HD?
    I don’t think they make the hd in 1/0. I believe the smallest hd is a 2/0. I got a 110 on a 2/0 hd. I believe some guys were fishing lighter wire in smaller sizes. I saw a few mangled hooks. Whatever Rick was using was the correct one. He killed it.
    regards
    Scott

Reactions: greatbasin
    Upvote 0