Leopard shark and batrays surf fishing

Discussion in 'Surf Fishing Reports' started by Brett jensen, May 27, 2019.

1. Brett jensen

Brett jensen Newbie

Name:
    Brett
    Boat:
    Kayak
    So I've caught a few leopard sharks and batrays from some rocks near a estuary but those are kind of a pain to land form the rocks. I've tried fishing for them from the beach but can seem to catch anything. I use mackerel and squid as bait with a 1-2 foot 50lb mono leader and a 4/0 to 6/0 hook. And tips for catching bigger fish from the shore. What to look for in the beach? Casting distance? Tides? Time of day? Anything would help. I mainly fish from Malibu to Ventura so if you could recommend any spots that would be great.

2. scbassmaster

scbassmaster twin22s

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    "I'm in the market, as it were" - Jack Sparrow
    Well I guess we’ll cut you a break since there is some report in your post, haha. I’m not familiar with that area but I do well on Leo’s and rays from beaches near river mouths, harbors, jetties, and rocky reef areas. What I look for are areas with smaller waves and light to no debris in the water. Some beaches get really stretched out at low tide and are harder to keep a bait in one spot or clean so I prefer high tides in most cases. I also fish for sharks from piers and use a hoop net to safety land and release them. I find fresh mackerel or bonito to work best with frozen squid my next choice. Cast far enough your rig doesn’t get pushed around too much. Mornings usually mean cleaner water and less swimmers.

slapazz likes this.
  3. slapazz

slapazz Member

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    17' sportcraft
    Run down PCH from Mugu rock south to around county line. Few sandy beaches mixed in with the rock shore. Think ones called deer creek, we have done pretty decent there.

4. Brett jensen

Brett jensen Newbie

Name:
    Brett
    Boat:
    Kayak
    thanks. Ive fished there before for surfperch. I'll have to try that out next week.

slapazz likes this.
  5. watersdeep

watersdeep I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jed Venture
    Boat:
    the twisted ducker
    Fresh Macs get bit every time.

Frozen Macs never get bit.

6. psd58

psd58 Newbie

Name:
    steven
    Boat:
    paddle board
    I've seen plenty of them in Samo in knee deep water, not lately though.