Team Ball's Out

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 18, 2005
Vista
Name
Ray Collier
Boat
23' Sea Swirl Striper
I was told by fish and game years ago to put the gauge on the head just short of the eyes and slide the gauge up till it drops in between the eyes and then towards the back. Reason being there is a meaty part of the flesh there in between the eyes. If you come in from the front you will catch the section of meaty flesh and it will make a just barely legal bug short. Just my 2 cents! I also take a few good swipes with a file to my gauge. Never had a problem!

Last edited:

So Cal Adventure

Jul 18, 2016
OC
Name
RB
Boat
42 ft Bertram
In May I had DFG board me, oitside dana harbor and measure some live bass in my bait tank. (All of which I measured carefully before putting inside.) "This one is under length if we fan the tail out like this,... see." (Basically he did everything possible to squish it short, it was half inch over from nose to tip when not doing that.) He lectured and preached, and basically exercised his law enforcement bullying talk the the fullest extent of what he thought he could, then threw my fish in the ocean and demonstrated his supreme mercy by letting me off with a warning.

I immediately went to the CA Dfg regs to find info about fanning out the tail of a Bass to get the "real measurement". I couldnt find it. Any guideance here is appreciated. Overzealous law enforcement is so dangerous for our treasured freedoms. Seriously, many of these guys need some training in "how not to act like an occupation force." Are they not public servants? OP got off with a warning, which was clearly an experienced officer who takes his work seriously, and understood the fishermans intent to be dilligent with the law (The kind we need.) The brazen ones who exercise wrongful dominion, make crap up, and act like bullys need to be dismissed and look for more suitable work as actors playing prison security guards.

Rabid Fish

Jun 27, 2004
Southern California
Name
Alex
Boat
26'
In May I had DFG board me, oitside dana harbor and measure some live bass in my bait tank. (All of which I measured carefully before putting inside.) "This one is under length if we fan the tail out like this,... see." (Basically he did everything possible to squish it short, it was half inch over from nose to tip when not doing that.) He lectured and preached, and basically exercised his law enforcement bullying talk the the fullest extent of what he thought he could, then threw my fish in the ocean and demonstrated his supreme mercy by letting me off with a warning.

I immediately went to the CA Dfg regs to find info about fanning out the tail of a Bass to get the "real measurement". I couldnt find it. Any guideance here is appreciated. Overzealous law enforcement is so dangerous for our treasured freedoms. Seriously, many of these guys need some training in "how not to act like an occupation force." Are they not public servants? OP got off with a warning, which was clearly an experienced officer who takes his work seriously, and understood the fishermans intent to be dilligent with the law (The kind we need.) The brazen ones who exercise wrongful dominion, make crap up, and act like bullys need to be dismissed and look for more suitable work as actors playing prison security guards.
He fucked up.

Unless another measurement technique is indicated (e.g. "fork length,") the length of a fish is the longest straight line from tip of snout (with jaw closed) to tip of tail.

As for the lobster, if the gauge fits over but there is NO PLAY, it's LEGAL. If the gauge fits over with any wiggle-age, not legal.

Put another way, "clickers" can be LEGAL, but only if they just click. The gauge should be stuck in position when clicked over.

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
He fucked up.

Unless another measurement technique is indicated (e.g. "fork length,") the length of a fish is the longest straight line from tip of snout (with jaw closed) to tip of tail.

As for the lobster, if the gauge fits over but there is NO PLAY, it's LEGAL. If the gauge fits over with any wiggle-age, not legal.

Put another way, "clickers" can be LEGAL, but only if they just click. The gauge should be stuck in position when clicked over.
A clicker isn't legal but go ahead and try that argument with a Game Warden and get back to us.I've always understood the "clicking" thing to mean the gauge will shimmy back and forth just a touch which would mean it's a short.Why people will even chance these borderline legals is beyond me,you can buy two nice tails at Costco for about 20 bucks.

Reactions: bitesomthing

Rabid Fish

Jun 27, 2004
Southern California
Name
Alex
Boat
26'
A clicker isn't legal but go ahead and try that argument with a Game Warden and get back to us.I've always understood the "clicking" thing to mean the gauge will shimmy back and forth just a touch which would mean it's a short.Why people will even chance these borderline legals is beyond me,you can buy two nice tails at Costco for about 20 bucks.
No, clicking just means the gauge goes over the lip of the carapace.

If there's "shimmying" back and forth, that's what I mean by "play," and that would mean it's short.

But if the gauge clicks over the lip with no play, it is legal.

And you're right about it not being worth the risk with the often-inept wardens, but just because they often have no fucking clue what the law is, that doesn't change the law itself.

hotrail20

COW HUNTERS
May 28, 2006
Chino,Ca
Name
Leonard
Boat
Yours
That's why I hoop in 300ft now No gauge needed they are all Big, F&G once asked me where I got my Gauge because it was Stainless steel and nicer than his.

Last edited:

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
I was told by a warden once "If a ticket will fit between the carapace and the gauge,you get to keep the ticket"
Seriously guys if a bug is that close it hasn't got a big enough tail to be worth it.

Reactions: FishPimpII and Foss

strackle99

Mar 20, 2008
Villa Lepro, Baja
Name
Todd
Boat
The one on the fish
I zoomed in the pic.

It didn't really look too close.

You got lucky

P

Paddyman1

That could have been a $1,000.00 bugger! Good thing DFG was sipping the moonshine and feeling good that night.

T Shark

Jun 15, 2007
So Cal
Name
Michael
Boat
My Medication
In my opinion if you have to ask its short. You got lucky.

2strokepoke

nimrod
Sep 14, 2010
orange, ca usa
Name
danny
Boat
dammit danny! 26' skipjack flybridge
i always Open my gauges up an extra 1/16" to avoid any chance of being short and if its still a squeeze fit i throw it back. $1000 fine can buy a lot of lobster dinners
YES, this is almost mandatory, unless you have deep pockets to give to the state

fishin_kid

Sep 5, 2012
riverside
Name
David
Boat
nada
Honestly if you're asking that question, toss it back and get yourself one that's not questionable, but picture and story worthy.

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
All great advise. The best advise. File a 1/16 off then if a person takes clickers it's ok. I do this because I don't want anyone onboard my boat measures. We never have issues. Once dnr recognizes you as a violator once! They will hareass you all the time !!