legal or short?

love2fishsc

Nov 21, 2010
san clemente
Name
scott
Boat
whaler cc
Been a tough year. This one looked legal when I put it in the tank. DFW thought otherwise. Fortunately all I got was a lecture on proper measuring technique and some advice (go deep 100+ feet). I took the picture to convince the judge it was legal (if needed). After looking more closely at it this morning (with glasses on...) I'm not sure it would help me. I was very polite and the officer was as well. No need to get belligerent. They are just doing their job. Hope you all are having a better year than I am. Oh well, spring will be here soon and we can do something warmer. Happy hooping!
20170117_195929.jpg

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
You dodged a major bullet there. Definitely short.

Azarkon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
Looks short, but your picture should be taken from the top, not from the side.

The way to measure is:

in a straight line on the midline of the back from the rear edge of the eye socket to the rear edge of the body shell
Both the left and right side look to fall short of the limit.

You shouldn't be able to fit the head carapace inside.

It has been a hard year for catching them in water less than 100. But that might change since we now have cold water.

Reactions: Tifoso

scbassmaster

twin22s
Sep 8, 2006
san clemente
Name
Brian
Boat
"I'm in the market, as it were" - Jack Sparrow
If the shell fits inside the gauge its short, though I have heard the argument that if the gauge rubs as it goes on then it is still legal, but personally I wouldn't keep it. Just like I would throw back any fish that isn't 1/4" over the size limit. but that is mostly due to potential shrinkage in the kill box. I do understand the want or need to keep borderline lobster since it might be the difference between 1-2 keepers and a skunk though.

Reactions: Tifoso

J Woodman

I know nothing
Dec 8, 2006
Ventura
Name
Jeff
Boat
15' Gregor Baja Special "Silver Bullet II"
I agree, it's short. Even if the lobster gets stuck on the gauge I send them back.

It is the officer's choice to either give you a verbal warning like you got, an infraction ticket that is probably about $140, or a misdemeanor ticket that will cost over $1000 plus community service and a permanent record. If he is in a bad mood that day you will end up with a bad month. Just not worth it!

charliecat

on a fishin' mission
Jun 2, 2015
Name
charlie cat
Boat
14' -50' , bunch of boats
agree with all above... hopefully they are clearly keepers, not clickers. but if so, make sure the gage hits inside that first line in the carapace. I would also recommend a smaller, lobster specific gage- much easier to handle and most likely a more accurate read without the extra metal in the way.
you are stoked to have gotten a lenient warden, that's usually not the case. most seem to be cordial, but run by the books.

saltwaterfish

Well-Known "Member"
May 13, 2010
Los Alamitos, CA
Name
Jason
Boat
looking for new one
you were that close to a ticket LOL & had he given you one he would have probably pulled that picture off BD and used it against you in court, 100% short

Sep 14, 2014
The Greater Los Angeles
Name
J
Boat
Triumph 195 CC
Just want to point out that a flash picture doesn't show everything in that lighting. Could be a solid fit or just beyond, but because of the darkness the flash may not have picked up the very back of the carapace. This picture makes it look like there is free play which any of us who knows the rules would know that this lobster is a no-go. This lobster could be a go, but because of the picture it doesn't look like it, even if it is.

I would agree that with this sort of picture, be careful, because the rules are not necessarily even applied (always the enforcement has some level of subjectivity). On the other hand, this lobster may be just a tad short and it was a learning experience.

=)

jspana

Cali*Co
Jul 28, 2014
laverne
Name
Joe
Boat
Humble1 222 C-Hawk sport cabin
Definitely short, Click on the pic to expand, you can clearly see a gap behind the "fuzzies" as I call them.. Not even a Clicker.. Not sure how you missed that when you pulled it?? You my friend got really lucky, I have had them push on the gauge to see if it Clicks down @ dana point. The gauge cannont go down into those fuzzies. period.

bitesomthing

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 13, 2003
Southern ca
Name
chris
Boat
always upgrading
i always Open my gauges up an extra 1/16" to avoid any chance of being short and if its still a squeeze fit i throw it back. $1000 fine can buy a lot of lobster dinners

salty nuts

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 2, 2004
Camarillo
Name
Tim Mohawk
Boat
25 Davis Rockharbor Volvo D4-260 TailChaser
Clicker

Reactions: Mick

vincentek9

halibut suck
Apr 9, 2010
anaheim, CA
Name
Vince
Boat
AVparker
if the carapace fits in the gauge, we don't risk it. we even file our gauges a bit so that every bug is 100% legal. for your bug, i'd call it a short. luckily, you just got a slap on the wrist and no ticket.

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
i always Open my gauges up an extra 1/16" to avoid any chance of being short and if its still a squeeze fit i throw it back. $1000 fine can buy a lot of lobster dinners
I used to file my guages almost an 1/8th over. Woodman almost threw me out of MY OWN BOAT when I told him.....after a night of him tossing back a BUNCH of "just shorts". LOL