Dbado1

Almost A Member
  • Jul 17, 2020
    Arizona
    Name
    Robert D Bado
    Boat
    Toyota tundra
    I'm a total lefty and I crank with my right so I can cast over my left shoulder and don't have to switch hands....my brother is a righty and he cranks with his left so he doesn't have to switch hands. Using left crank reels sucks because of the lack of left crank reels.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    The charter with the best price.
    I'm RH and learned to fish with a conventional so that stuck, and the ability to crank with your dominant side has outweighed being able to lift the rod over the years. YMMV
    You can also lift with your left/weaker side if you use your body weight instead of your arms, a certain technique I learned.

I survived 6 bouts at welterweight as a righty fighting southpaw with a good jab but no power punch, so anything can work if you apply it. Go with what works for you.

Reactions: ZZZZZ
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Hmmmm, I self learned (after a short introduction from dad) in the 2nd grade. With a handline fishing a so cal lagoon for opaley and jetty rock crabs at first (in 3rd grade I would rent a 10 page book on fishing from the library over and over). Lagoon next to the house. Handline, then a conventional, then a spinner

I fish spinner with the handle on the right. Line pinched in my left fingers for feel.

What's the reason to fish the spinner handle on the left for a person that fishes convention handle on the right? Learned spinner first with handle on left, before conventional

I figure it's like naturally regular foot or goofy foot. With boarding sports. Learning switch stance is hard

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    I cast with rod on my right but the rod is fished on my left side/under left arm pit region. So my right hand natualy falls onto the right sided handle

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Heck :D if I fished with the rod on the right side of my body. Fishing a left handed spinner would be rather awkwardly balanced

Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    Having both lefty and righty gear can be an advantage at times. The last couple of months while flat falling for bluefin all night long, I would use a left-handed HXW and a right handed Mak 20. When one arm started to get tired, I would just grab the other rig and keep on fishing. That way the load would be shared between my two arms instead of just annihilating one. At the end of the trip I typically have two very tired arms as opposed to one that feels like it’s ready to fall off. Also, I can fish longer and increase the odds that I will get bit. 😀

How long have you been doing this? ... and how old are you?
    Any ambidexterity issues?

I ask because even though I'm RH conventional, I'm an OG and my left shoulder has taken a beating lately. I've fished a bit more this year (thankfully) and taking up slow jigging has put those muscles & joints to the test, it's taken a couple weeks to fully recover from a recent Lingcod trip.

Not really looking forward to buying more gear, and not sure how ambidextrous I am, but thought about getting a LH jigging reel.

Reactions: Explorer1
    Upvote 0

Explorer1

Almost A Member
    Jan 6, 2019
    Toronto
    Name
    San
    Boat
    None
    Being LH wasn’t fun for me when I 1st started. To just get a kick start finding a reel that catch my eye was tough (let alone performance). Either rough finishing, low drag, or “never heard of” Brand or never instock…..etc.
    Not really looking forward to buying more gear, and not sure how ambidextrous I am, but thought about getting a LH jigging reel.
    I've fished a bit more this year (thankful
    I want your problem:-):-):-)

Reactions: Proteus
    Upvote 0

DennisV

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 4, 2017
    Paloma, CA
    Name
    Dennis Vagt
    Boat
    Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
    If you're on the California Dawn on Monday, you can try out one of my lefty rigs.

Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    If you're on the California Dawn on Monday, you can try out one of my lefty rigs.

Thanks for the offer!! .... but I think I would have to spend a little more time with a LH rig to really get the full understanding of my LH jigging potential.

Not hitting that trip, can't spend that kinda $$ when I go for less than half that price. Great boat though, when I posted my last Lingcod trip in the NorCal section, they were fishing right next to our boat. I hooked up 7x Lings that day, I think their total was over 40.

Hv a great trip, good luck.

Reactions: DennisV
    Upvote 0
    Apr 10, 2019
    San Pedro, CA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    La Reina
    How long have you been doing this? ... and how old are you?
    Any ambidexterity issues?

I ask because even though I'm RH conventional, I'm an OG and my left shoulder has taken a beating lately. I've fished a bit more this year (thankfully) and taking up slow jigging has put those muscles & joints to the test, it's taken a couple weeks to fully recover from a recent Lingcod trip.

I started in September, last year. My right elbow had been injured and reeling with my right arm really hurt. So I bit the bullet and switched over to lefties. I am 64 years old. But don’t let the number for you. I am in good shape. Now that my right elbow has healed it doesn’t matter which reel is in my hand, as both left and right handed reels feel natural. It did not take long at all to get used to left-handed reels.

Upvote 0

MillyG

Jul 19, 2021
    France
    Name
    Milly
    Boat
    Boat
    Right hand dominant. Reel with my right hand, used to cast with my right arm, but due to shoulder injuries and mini-strokes, now casting with my left arm, except for two handed casting

Upvote 0