Lefty or righty?!

Deadstockpomp

Feb 15, 2020
Staten Island
Name
Frank
Boat
Grady white explorer
So I started fishing years ago using lefty spinners which I still do, lefty small game conventionals which feel comfortable with my right hand (stronger) Controlling the rod and left hand reeling. But now with big game reels I have 3 atd 50s and 2 larger sized valiants which are lefty and are much better to use for me when a harness is not available, or for the initial rod pickup and hook set, or when just using a gimble without being attached to the reels lugs. But I feel like if I’m strapped in I can get maximum cranking power with the right since it is stronger but if I had to stand up fight with a righty without the reel being secure it would be strange. I can do everything lefty with maybe sacrificing a tiny bit of cranking power. Any one ever feel like they can’t figure out if they are lefty, righty, upside down or sideways? Hahaa also to throw out there I write with my left hand throw with my right so I’m pretty good with both hands and I guess that makes it more confusing o_OLOL I’m just trying to think It’s worth it to maybe sell the offshore reels for righties or rock out with the full lefty collection and keep it going

Last edited:

4L2NA

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 14, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Name
Larry
Boat
25' Davis RHLC, D4, FinAddict
I'm a lefty and use a left handed spinner (crank on right), but on my conventionals and bait casters they are all right handed models (crank on right). Not sure how I would do with a lefty conventional....prob because I suck either way...lol. Prob more depends on what you get used to. I used to shot a basketball left handed but dribbled with my right. Batted right, threw with left...then again I sucked at all that too...but at least I had a good time!

Deadstockpomp

Feb 15, 2020
Staten Island
Name
Frank
Boat
Grady white explorer
I'm a lefty and use a left handed spinner (crank on right), but on my conventionals and bait casters they are all right handed models (crank on right). Not sure how I would do with a lefty conventional....prob because I suck either way...lol. Prob more depends on what you get used to. I used to shot a basketball left handed but dribbled with my right. Batted right, threw with left...then again I sucked at all that too...but at least I had a good time!
Haha it’s actually like a mind f*** when you sit and think about it. I mostly see people reel right handed crank offshore reels but I was the one guy to get 3 lefty accurate atd50s. You can barely find a picture of one in use online lol. I guess what made me get it lefty is the ability to really have a firm grip on the rod with my dominant hand when out of a harness even tho most of the time it’s in a harness with that size reel. I guess it has pros and cons. My left hand crank seems to get the job done

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Righty, Fish Lefty for same reason as you. I cast over right shoulder. No switching hands.

Everyone is different. Sadly not all companies make lefty.....but enough do.

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
I can do both. I also skate and snowboard goofy foot but I'm right handed. I also own left and right handed reels but the majority of my reels now are right handed. Got tired of searching for lefty reels plus they were harder to sell in the secondary market.

4L2NA

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 14, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Name
Larry
Boat
25' Davis RHLC, D4, FinAddict
One advantage of putting a lefty set up in the rod racks (on my boat) is that most people won't borrow it...if they pick it up, they just look at it .."what the hell?"...hahaha...leftys just roll with it, as we're used to in the right handed world....lol

Deadstockpomp

Feb 15, 2020
Staten Island
Name
Frank
Boat
Grady white explorer
Mostly I’m talking about offshore reels here, I literally don’t think I’ve seen another lefty besides mine in person or even on any site in use, can’t believe it’s actually that rare

DennisV

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 4, 2017
Paloma, CA
Name
Dennis Vagt
Boat
Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
I'm right-handed. I use lefties for throwing jigs poppers stick baits and also for 20-30 lb bait rigs. 40 lb and up, I use right-handed cranks when there's a possibility of rail rodding. Yo-yo with right crank also.

Reactions: JamesTaylor

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
I'm ambidextrous and just naturally used my right hand for right handed things like guns and skill saw, in fact the only thing i had a hard time with was throwing darts. Growing up my dad like spinning reels and that is what I used most, when I got my jigmaster and my senator they were right handed, I don't think they made any left handed back then. Anyway I never had a problem going from one type to the other but using the spinning I got used to casting with my right and it always seemed stupid switching hands after casting. About ten years ago I wanted one of those conventional reels that had a 7 to 1 ratio so I bought a left handed one so I wouldn't have to change hands after casting. After using one I will never buy anything else. I still have my jigmaster and senator I bought as a kid and still use them without any problem, but if I ever replace them it would be with a left handed version. I don't have a strength issue with one arm being stronger than the other so it is just a matter of convenience. I love my left handed reels.

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
I'm left handed I cast over my left shoulder and crank with my right hand. Don't have to switch hands after casting. I shoot a rifle right handed shoot pool right handed, bow right handed. Left handed crank makes no sense to me. I fish spinners upside down sometimes

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
OC
Name
Erik
Boat
Moooo!
Reminds me of a buddy who was complaining that the handle was on the wrong side. So we switched it when he wasn't looking and he still complained.