Left handed level wind conventional reel.

bigbrowndog

Sep 11, 2007
Thousand Oaks
Name
Charles
Boat
20' Key West WA
Hello,

I am in need of a left handed, level wind conventional reel with trolling rings. Last year I was in a devastating motorcycle accident where I lost all use of my right arm with possible amputation being in my near future. This being said, I have not and will not let this deter me from my love of fishing. Since the accident I have been fishing with spinning gear and modifying my rods. I have to fish with a fighting belt, with a gimbal and a shoulder harness now, but it's just small challenge. I have my own boat and fish regularly, I would be looking for something to fish the local islands, for yellowtail, and White Sea bass, and offshore for Pelagics as well. If there is anything that you make that fits my needs, I would love to know about it.

Thank you.

Pipejumper

Dec 17, 2014
Name
Larry
Boat
22' Alumaweld Intruder
My wife likes lefties and level winds.

Biggest I know of is a Penn 25 Lhlw. Don't fish your area but my wife runs that reel in the Northwest and it is a solid reel.

It doesn't have harness lugs but there are a few options for that.

One thought for you- reach out to Alan Tani (google his name with the word reels after). He is a reel wizard and may be able to find you a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
You can find Alan Tani on this site too.

Avet makes a left handed version of most of their reels. I don't have any myself, but they come up now and then for sale.

bigbrowndog

Sep 11, 2007
Thousand Oaks
Name
Charles
Boat
20' Key West WA
Thanks guys. Does Alan tani make reels? Also, I have never seen a level wind avet. The level wind is necessary because I am unable to manually do it any more. I tried a penn senator left handed and it stacks up in the center of the spool

Thanks.

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Alan Tani doesn't make reels, but he repairs them and upgrades them.

Avet does not make a level wind. I suppose without the use of your right arm, a level wind would be kind of important. Didn't connect the dots earlier.

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Big LH level winds are few and far between.

Penn makes a few. I would check Diawa too.

skotz

Can't wait for the next bite!
Jun 22, 2009
Modesto, Ca. USA
Name
Skot
Boat
Seaswirl Spyder
Have you thought about the lefty Komodos? I'll bet you can find a way to attach your harness to the rod and have a blast! Fill it with braid put a loop in it and have 15-40# wind-ons ready to go for hooks or jigs!

AKSalmon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
Check out the Penn Squall 30 left hand.

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
I looked at those. But they don't have lugs. Only 50's do nd they don't make LH 50s.

Might have to do something custom.

Pipejumper

Dec 17, 2014
Name
Larry
Boat
22' Alumaweld Intruder
I looked at those. But they don't have lugs. Only 50's do nd they don't make LH 50s.

Might have to do something custom.
Google black magic light tackle harness adaptor. It is a solution for no lugs.

I've seen others that work for rods where the butt screws off. It went between the rod and the butt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbrowndog

Sep 11, 2007
Thousand Oaks
Name
Charles
Boat
20' Key West WA
The black magic harness I used as a template for my ideas that I have been working with. It works to a degree. But the lugs are better because it keeps the rod and reel from turning. The one armed cranking on the reel without the lugs it all tends to turn (even with a gimbal)

I have looked at the penn squall and am considering ordering one, and fabricating something to replace the lugs.

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate any and all ideas.

maxpowers

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 25, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
someday a 23' Striper
The black magic harness I used as a template for my ideas that I have been working with. It works to a degree. But the lugs are better because it keeps the rod and reel from turning. The one armed cranking on the reel without the lugs it all tends to turn (even with a gimbal)

I have looked at the penn squall and am considering ordering one, and fabricating something to replace the lugs.

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate any and all ideas.
If you want to not have the rod turn over on you, look at the acid wrapped rod. Since the line will be on the bottom of the rod, there will be no twisting force on the rod.