Lee's tackle CF outriggers

Discussion in 'Strictly Billfish' started by FM-Outside, May 3, 2019.

1. FM-Outside

FM-Outside Member

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    Anchor Baby
    My brother and I bought a 21 ft wellcraft center console last month. The previous owner left us the Taco bases but kept his fancy Gem Lux Outriggers.
    I came across the 16' lee's tackle carbon fiber models on amazon for under $800 shipped. At a thousand dollars less than the fancy brands I'm sure there's some compromises but I thought I'd see if anyone out there has used them. I found one review on another forum saying they don't have all the bells and whistles but they get the job done. The boat is in Sonora so we'll be mostly dragging ballyhoo and a few jigs around targeting sails and stripers with the off chance of a blue showing up. We're not planning on pulling any dredges on them at this time, but we would like to run double rigs.

2. pje

pje Member

Name:
    PJ
    Boat:
    34 Scarab Supersport
    They will work , but you would probably be better off with some Taco 18's for around the same price ..Gemlux 22's would be even better ...

3. FM-Outside

FM-Outside Member

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    Anchor Baby
    You mean Taco aluminums? Taco and GEM Lux CF models are quite a bit more from what I've seen. I was looking at the 15' aluminums for under $500. I wasn't sure about how tall to go, the previous owner had 16s on there. Is 18-22' not too big for a 21ft CC?
    Thanks for the feedback.

4. pje

pje Member

Name:
    PJ
    Boat:
    34 Scarab Supersport
    I didn't really pay attention to boat size when I replied , just the previous GL on there , if it was me I would probably still go with 18 collapsible . Measure it out and see if it's something you can deal with trailering etc . 18's give you a bigger footprint and easier to run double lines .

FM-Outside likes this.
  5. bays90

bays90 Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    46' Viking, Mi Novia, Quepos, Costa Rica
    rule of thumb is 2/3's the boat length, I had a 24 everglades and had 15's and 29 with 18's getting a new 27 and putting 18's on it. I like the aluminum because it is more rigid I don't care for all the flex you get in the carbon fiber. On a 21 I wold go with 15's your not going to get much out of the extra width in the spread.

6. FM-Outside

FM-Outside Member

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    Anchor Baby
    Interesting, all the ads/reviews I've seen claim the carbon is more rigid thus better for pulling heavy dredges etc. We ended up getting the new Marsh Tacky Internal series 17 footers. More than we wanted to spend but they offered a 20% discount for memorial day so we jumped on it. They are super lite and easy to extend and collapse. Single halyard with double clips keeps it simple and is plenty good enough for our little boat. Landed 3 small marlin and a few dorado on the initial test run last weekend. They worked great except for the deckhands knots on the rigging coming loose while fighting a fish. We salvaged one full setup and the clips from the second but the halyard line and one of the locks got trashed in the prop. Great customer service at Marsh Tacky, quick email responses. Replacement parts are on order.

7. bays90

bays90 Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    46' Viking, Mi Novia, Quepos, Costa Rica
    sounds like it worked well, I have fished with both and maybe it was the brand bu the carbon fiber flexed way more than my aluminium rigger did, but this has been several years ago maybe the have changed the technology

FM-Outside likes this.