Leaving your fish on the boat? Giving away your catch?

AWilliams

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 18, 2009
Ramona, Ca.
Name
Alin Williams
Boat
none
Just curious how many guys here leave/give a significant portion of their catch to the boat or someone else? I do most times. Sometimes I limit out and maybe take 1 or 2 yellowtail/yellowfin and give the rest to the crew or others. My buddy and I went out 2 weeks ago and he got a 125# bluefin. After he landed it we talked and decided it was to much of a pain in the ass to try and give 80# of meat away. He doesn't eat fish and I barely like it myself. Maybe smoking a little bit every few months...but that's it. We left it on the boat for the crew or whoever wanted it. Am I alone in this thinking??

Reactions: RichG
Upvote 0

AWilliams

May 18, 2009
Ramona, Ca.
Name
Alin Williams
Boat
none
My buddy asked if he could release it...before we could blink 3 gaffs were in it. He wanted too...captain had other ideas. Released fish don't get people on the boat...they want numbers and size.

Reactions: titos334
Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
Seal Beach
Name
Rob
Boat
Boston Whaler Justice
Just curious how many guys here leave/give a significant portion of their catch to the boat or someone else? I do most times. Sometimes I limit out and maybe take 1 or 2 yellowtail/yellowfin and give the rest to the crew or others. My buddy and I went out 2 weeks ago and he got a 125# bluefin. After he landed it we talked and decided it was to much of a pain in the ass to try and give 80# of meat away. He doesn't eat fish and I barely like it myself. Maybe smoking a little bit every few months...but that's it. We left it on the boat for the crew or whoever wanted it. Am I alone in this thinking??

My freezers are filled to the brim! A 5cu FT and a 10cu FT.

If its not Bluefin or WSB I usually like to give it away on the boat. I luck out most of the time in SD because people are always coming from NorCal or out of state to catch fish... They usually love taking all that extra stuff home...

I'm just glad I don't have to foot the processing bill most of the time...

Upvote 0

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
Local fish processors will donate your catch. I don't have any particulars, but Five Star mentioned it when I visited the plant early this summer.

Reactions: AWilliams
Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    I'm happy to give away my catch. I've eaten fish my whole life and have no active desire to eat more on a weekly basis.

Upvote 0

hudamang

Almost A Member
    Sep 3, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    G
    Boat
    3/4 day
    Alin,

I’ll meet you at the docks next time you don’t want any bluefin haha. I’ll process it and you can pick what you want haha

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    My buddy asked if he could release it...before we could blink 3 gaffs were in it. He wanted too...captain had other ideas. Released fish don't get people on the boat...they want numbers and size.
    Who gives a shit what the captain wants ? it was never his fish.Try catch and release.

Upvote 0

JohnnieB

SelFishAddiction
    May 16, 2016
    HereandThere
    Name
    JB
    Boat
    Unknown limits
    that's what the dykes are for, always on your side, ...unless it's a 30$ flatfall setup, it's funny, when you look back with a smile, at the dh putting the gaff away:-):eek:

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
    May 31, 2003
    not a spoiled bitch from san diego
    Name
    bill
    Boat
    I hate boats

If you let the crew know that you want to release the fish BEFORE the fish comes into gaff range, they will be better prepared to release the fish. If they say you cant release it, tell them you haven't decided on tip amount yet.....

Knowing before you even step on deck that you are only going to keep 1 or 2 fish for yourself but you go ahead and kill your limits...………………...
    stock-photo-funny-excited-woman-showing-something-very-tiny-little-size-by-fingers-happy-girl-with-open-mouth-1339910975.jpg

Upvote 0

AWilliams

May 18, 2009
    Ramona, Ca.
    Name
    Alin Williams
    Boat
    none
    If you let the crew know that you want to release the fish BEFORE the fish comes into gaff range, they will be better prepared to release the fish. If they say you cant release it, tell them you haven't decided on tip amount yet.....

Knowing before you even step on deck that you are only going to keep 1 or 2 fish for yourself but you go ahead and kill your limits...………………...
    stock-photo-funny-excited-woman-showing-something-very-tiny-little-size-by-fingers-happy-girl-with-open-mouth-1339910975.jpg

Yeah let me clarify. All my skippies, bonito, barracuda and bass go back in the drink because 99% of them are caught on jigs. If I do limit on yf or yt sometimes I take a limit, sometimes not. I make that decision after the day is done and were heading back. The deckies are more than gratefull for any I dont want.

Upvote 0

Lundalakan

Sep 29, 2016
    Socal, Poway
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    Lund alaskan

If they add a line in the fish reports on released fish, like they do with calicos, I don’t think this would be an issue

Reactions: popx5
    Upvote 0

maurice escobedo

Counselor
    Oct 25, 2016
    United States
    Name
    Esteban
    Boat
    sold
    I release fish all the time. The only folks I really share my catch with are friends, family, coworkers and who ever I’m working for that gave me the time off to go fish.
    If I’m not going to eat it, or have a plan for it to be eaten, and it’s not mortally injured, it gets released to pro create and to fight another day. You just tell them, let er go.

Upvote 0

bullyo

Aug 5, 2005
    San Marcos
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat
    None
    I am a fan of hook and handing. The biggest rush for me is the initial run and hook set. If I have my fill, I hook and hand to someone who does not have as many. Have made multiple friends this way and its cool seeing a rental rod/wrong gear angler bringing in a fish on a decent set up. Just to the point when they are getting the fish to gaff you ask (knowing the are not) if they are in low gear. Always good for some laughs

Upvote 0

lazyfisherman

Nov 28, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Bobby
    Boat
    Cattle Boats
    I am a fan of hook and handing. The biggest rush for me is the initial run and hook set. If I have my fill, I hook and hand to someone who does not have as many. Have made multiple friends this way and its cool seeing a rental rod/wrong gear angler bringing in a fish on a decent set up. Just to the point when they are getting the fish to gaff you ask (knowing the are not) if they are in low gear. Always good for some laughs

This is the joy of fishing. Handing a jigstick with a pissed off yellowtail at the end to a kid is a blast.

Upvote 0

titos334

VIP Elite Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Hell
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    Rainbow Surprise
    Who gives a shit what the captain wants ? it was never his fish.Try catch and release.

Not always an option. The captain is literally the king of the castle it’s not always advisable to cause shit with the king. I’ve been on a boat where the captain was absolutely adamant that no fish were to be released as he swore up and down the street it’d put the school down and fuck the bite. I haven’t been back on that boat because that’s not my style but it’s not always so simple as you’d think. I’ve also been on boats where you get the biggest guilt trip ever for releasing legal fish that the poor guy drove from a million miles away and has a dying wish of feeding his family with a fresh ocean caught fish or whatever and you’re a cold heartless soul that hates children if you don’t give it away, that’s easier to deal with but equally annoying.

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    So what happened to the fish, did they split it up with the passengers or did it go for side money for the crew? I hope you seen them split it up for the passengers!

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    Not always an option. The captain is literally the king of the castle it’s not always advisable to cause shit with the king. I’ve been on a boat where the captain was absolutely adamant that no fish were to be released as he swore up and down the street it’d put the school down and fuck the bite. I haven’t been back on that boat because that’s not my style but it’s not always so simple as you’d think. I’ve also been on boats where you get the biggest guilt trip ever for releasing legal fish that the poor guy drove from a million miles away and has a dying wish of feeding his family with a fresh ocean caught fish or whatever and you’re a cold heartless soul that hates children if you don’t give it away, that’s easier to deal with but equally annoying.
    It's always an option.

Reactions: wils
    Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid

Bull....you are a paying customer....If i chose to release my fish and the skipper or crew refuses two things would happen one no tip two I would never ride that boat again...

Upvote 0

BobbyAgate

Almost A Member
    Apr 2, 2018
    Manhattan Beach
    Name
    Adam
    Boat
    Not yet
    Do you remember when they used to call them sport boats? That's back when they used to fish for sport.

Not that I would tell someone else what to do with their legal bag limit.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Mtnfshr
    Upvote 0

CartridgeCalls

100% Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business
    Apr 29, 2015
    Palmdale, CA
    www.ebay.com
    Name
    Curtis Wright
    Boat
    Kayak
    In the daily report the captain/crew can suggest to put amount of fish that were released.

Upvote 0