mike mitchell

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
As I search for a new boat one of the criteria is that the boat stays in a slip. Period. I have limited my search to boats with outboards and inboards. They are limited in my price range, especially the outboards. So should I consider a sterndrive? I have read about all the negatives of saltwater and out drives, Yet I see many I/O in slips. Did something change?

Upvote 0

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
Stay the course. An outdrives / I/O living in a slip is going to provide you with many years of maintenance nightmare, imho.

Reactions: Pescador Paul
Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
I/Os are just a fair amount more maintenance. Certainly can be done. Zincs (and any associated bonding connections between the parts) are critical.

Personally I don't like fishing over big O/B.

24' or bigger I'd take an inboard.

Upvote 0

Darksails

I like bourbon.
Sep 10, 2012
OC
Name
Blaine
Boat
Tiara 3100 Open 'Sol Delight'
Yet I see many I/O in slips. Did something change?

Nothing changed. People buy them because they are cheaper and can be ok if you stay on top of the maintenance. Case in point: a buddy has a SeaRay with twin Alpha 1's and they're such cheap drives he's ok with replacing them if he has any issues.

I vote for inboard, but we cruise as well and hang a bunch of shit off the back.

Reactions: mike mitchell
Upvote 0

Castlepadre

Jan 28, 2020
Costa Mesa
Name
Mateo
Boat
WorldCat
I saw one solution for farralon with an I/O and the owner had one of these. Had some cholrine dispenser like a pool. He was meticulous and one like this was used for numerous years

Upvote 0