Chrislarson757

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 23, 2011
United States
Name
Chris L
Boat
When I get one...
Picked up my first bow and have little experience hunting. Got a D16 tag and have spent time in Mt Laguna, Pine Valley and Japatul looking for a legal deer. Lots of sign everywhere but all I’ve managed to come across is a doe that I bumped at the trail head one day.

I’ve spent a lot of time in SD back country and have always seen a good amount of wildlife. Turkeys, deer, coyote and the like. I just can’t seem to get remotely close to finding anything lately.

I’ll keep at it as long as the season goes but if anyone has any helpful input, I’m all ears. Even if I don’t harvest this year I just really can’t believe I haven’t even seen anything with a pulse.

395A9D84-3BA8-457F-9060-694E7A601F0B.jpeg

Last edited:

masonjazz

Apr 2, 2012
santee
Name
david
Boat
21eliminator
Chris, San Diego is a hard place to hunt.. keep your head up and it will happen.. try and stick to the spot with most signs and set up a ground blind or even a tree stand.. good luck

Reactions: Chrislarson757

Chrislarson757

Mar 23, 2011
United States
Name
Chris L
Boat
When I get one...
Much appreciated. It’s fun but it’d be A LOT cooler to at least see something out there.

MJB

Jun 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Mark
Boat
sold it!!
It's been a bad year for deer this year.....the weather change is coming and should improve for the last week.

Chrislarson757

Mar 23, 2011
United States
Name
Chris L
Boat
When I get one...
Went out yesterday morning and didn’t see a single deer. Lots of sign everywhere. Just didn’t find anything. Mt. Laguna area near the top of kitchen creek. I’m sure it’s been pressured hard in that area.

Anyone have a starting point for public land turkey? I’ve only ever seen them around cuyamaca.

el Toro

Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
How determined are you to make it happen in SD? While it’s a noble pursuit, there may come a time where you realize time is money and there are other places to hunt where it’s not such a suckfest.

There was a time not too long ago when I hunted a lot locally at least a cpl times a week during deer season. Had some success but goodness did it take time and resources! With time in more limited supply these days, I Now mostly focus my efforts elsewhere.

Last edited:

One Track

Mar 28, 2004
El Cajon
Name
Brent
Boat
Blood
There are guys that get there archery deer every year. But, it takes a lot of patience and good treestand location.

Chrislarson757

Mar 23, 2011
United States
Name
Chris L
Boat
When I get one...
I picked up two trail cameras I had out for a week. Same general area a buddy got his doe this year.

Both cameras had zero activity. Figured they would at least pickup something with all the tracks and scat around. I want to put a lot of scouting time in during off season.

How long are y’all leaving cameras out and do you think it’s a good tool to determine your “spot” next season? I want to try to get some sort of routine down before next season rolls around.