Learning material

The American Tackle Company

huntindog

Almost A Member
Aug 17, 2010
philbrook lake, CA
I have been building freshwater rods for awhile and I have done a couple light saltwater rods but I have essentially built bare bones meatsticks and I want to step it up a couple notches by building some bigger rods and creating nicer lookinng gear. I know there is a ton of learning materials out there, can you guys point me in a good direction for some books or internet resources. Also, what are the best ways to save a few bucks when buying components? I do not live in an area where there are stores that carry supplies so everything I purchase has to be ordered. mudhole has obviously been a valuable resource but something tells me there are ways I can save by looking elsewhere.

Upvote 0

drumford

gotta go babe!
Sep 20, 2010
C.M. CA
Name
Dondo
Boat
Cory's Rig
Unless you're into that stay away from mud (butt)hole.... salty dawg, scold, voodoo, acid rod and many more awesome resources here!!!!

Upvote 0

huntindog

Almost A Member
Aug 17, 2010
philbrook lake, CA
As a newbie the thing mudhole offered was a lot of options to look at and a full size catalog. there is something I still like about having a a hard copy catalog. I am sure there is money to be saved as I start looking. I have used acidrod utmost enterprises and they seem ok though utmost is sort of an interesting business model

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GClev

Newbie for Life
Nov 21, 2015
LA County
Name
Gary C
Boat
HMS Hotspur
I have tremendous respect for the American capitalist and small business man. There seem to be three, if not more, business models at work.

The local tackle shop will sell you what they have, might order what you want, and may or may not negotiate on price. Cash/volume purchases may or may not get a discount. Drive.

Some websites offer everything, stock very little or next to nothing, and rely on suppliers to deliver your order, either drop shipping or shipping it twice. They'll offer you a price, ship what they have, make you wait for the rest, and take a cut. Not too bad if you want it internet cheap, arriving in fits and spurts over the next month, or having parts of your order cancelled because the price was wrong or the supplier has no stock. ((I'm still waiting for the third part of Black Friday order from one of these guys and one large item was told either pay $50 more or can't ship it,"You got too good of a deal."))

I have had very positive experiences with these two online retailers.

Mudhole in Oviedo, FL has a 30K square foot warehouse and is getting ready to move and expand again. They keep a huge inventory. Rod blanks, even the long rod blanks, come by Fedex and have been taking 4 days to get here (CA) for $9.95 per package (not per rod). They don't carry some brands, will check stock while you're on the phone, tell you the truth, backorder if you want items they don't have in stock if you prefer, and have great customer service. They occasionally send out 10% coupons good on everything in your shopping cart.

The Rod Room in Orange Beach, AL is smaller and a little pricier. They carry ALPS which Mudhole doesn't. They are a smaller business, but stock a lot of inventory. They usually ship within hours and don't backorder unless you specifically ask for it. If they don't have it, they credit your card immediately. The family that runs The Rod Room is the peak of customer service and super nice. Expect a shipping confirm or a phone call from them within minutes of ordering online. Wow. 10% coupon at Christmas.

I'll recommend two books, analog, archaic, no electricity required books. Rod Building Guide by Tom Kirkman, 2001. Quick read, colorful, and a great starter. Advanced Custom Rod Building by Dale Clemens, 1978. Occasionally available, shop at the usual used book websites. Clemens is a bit dated, black and white, but thorough.

Reactions: huntindog
Upvote 0

GClev

Newbie for Life
Nov 21, 2015
LA County
Name
Gary C
Boat
HMS Hotspur
.......Mudhole FedEx's blanks to California for $9.95???
The $9.95 charge is for rods 9' and under. The 11' and under rods are $22.95. Rods longer than that are considerably more. The packages are about 4" longer than the rods. My last package shipped on a Monday and arrived on Thursday.

Mudhole and Utmost look like different business models. Utmost appears to be a limited product importer/retailer. Mudhole appears to be a multi-line stocking retailer with about 60 brands. I ordered a bunch of stuff from Mudhole over the past year and was pleasantly surprised to see almost all of it ship the next day.

Upvote 0

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
Nov 11, 2007
Baja Sur, MX
Name
Bill Burkett
Boat
22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
I've also had nothing but good experiences with Mud Hole. The guys that complain about their shipping costs are buying one or two small items and pay more for the shipping then the pieces they bought cost. That's not something anybody should do from any supplier.

Upvote 0

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
N/A :(
The $9.95 charge is for rods 9' and under. The 11' and under rods are $22.95. Rods longer than that are considerably more. The packages are about 4" longer than the rods. My last package shipped on a Monday and arrived on Thursday.

Mudhole and Utmost look like different business models. Utmost appears to be a limited product importer/retailer. Mudhole appears to be a multi-line stocking retailer with about 60 brands. I ordered a bunch of stuff from Mudhole over the past year and was pleasantly surprised to see almost all of it ship the next day.
This is a promotion thing where if you are spending over $150. I just tested it with a blank that was $125 and it had a $15.95 handling charge and $9.95 shipping. I'm not trying to talk shit since I'm also in the business, just being honest about the shipping costs. They did lower some of their shipping costs though so that's nice.

Upvote 0

fishdeck

May 1, 2012
LA
Name
John Yoder
Boat
Lip Ripper
This is a promotion thing where if you are spending over $150. I just tested it with a blank that was $125 and it had a $15.95 handling charge and $9.95 shipping. I'm not trying to talk shit since I'm also in the business, just being honest about the shipping costs. They did lower some of their shipping costs though so that's nice.

It's not a promotion, it's their new shipping policy/rates - FREE shipping for orders over $149 - all the time! The $9.95 is added as an oversize charge to blanks and heavier stuff - but the $15.95 shipping charge you saw will go away if you added $25 more to get to the $149.

Upvote 0

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
N/A :(
Ahhh gotcha. Learn something new every day :)

Upvote 0

DocSki

Captain
Mar 24, 2007
So. El Monte
Name
James(Doc Ski)Labanowski
Boat
17' Carolina Skiff
You have a wealth of informative videos at your fingertips. Just about any part of rod building or wrapping is on video. I have done several

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
DocSki 's videos are some of the best out there. Very comprehensive and thorough. I would give them a look if you are looking at advanced techniques.

Upvote 0