Lead Shot......CDFW Fields...... Hot spots????

Discussion in 'Hunting Discussion' started by Vermonster, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Vermonster

Vermonster Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    I'm a Ho'.....
    Well, this year, with as busy as I am, and my Dad not being able to come out for the opener, I wasn't able to get out to hunt the opener, or scout for that matter. But, have a chance to run down with the 10 and 6 year olds tonight and hunt in the morning. So a couple quick questions.......

1. Never hunted after opening day. Are there still a good amount of birds flying the second weekend?

2. Given the limited time, I'm Not above asking for help, so any suggestions on a good spot or 2 were it's not too difficult for the kiddos to run around? My 10 year old hunted last year, shot maybe 15 times, but no doves. Want to get him his first one this year. Have a place we've always gone, up off Sinclair, but haven't spoken to the owner in a couple years and didn't want to show up unannounced at 5:00 am. Maybe closer down to El Centro, like Bonds Corner, Heber, etc.????

3. If I decide to hit the game fields in this map below, are those considered CDFW fields, where lead shot is not allowed, or are these managed by someone else?

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=83159&inline

Or Is Wister the only place in the Valley I can't use lead?

Anyway, any help or suggestions appreciated. PM me if you want. I know you all work hard for your spots, just hoping someone is done for the year down there, and wouldn't mind me bringing my boys down for just a couple ours tomorrow. I could go find a field with no signs posted like many seem to do, but I am just uncomfortable doing that without speaking with the owners first. So, maybe somewhere that the owners are traditionally cool with it. Heber feed lots, anyone hunt those?

Anyway, Thanks!

2. MJB

MJB I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    sold it!!
    Heber feed lot is closed

Those fields are okay with lead, only Wister, Finney Rainer & sonny Bono are non lead.

Good luck

3. Vermonster

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    I'm a Ho'.....
    Thanks Mark. Maybe I'll just head north, start at a field along the canal, then field hop if all else fails, looking for a flight path. Just hope there are still birds flying after a full week......

4. CaptJgray

CaptJgray I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jeff Gray
    Boat:
    hell no....
    give me a call
    5623058125 I have a spot that is perfect for the kids

my 11 year old daughter shot very well on her first dove hunt this year.

Lots and Lots of WW!!!!

5. Vermonster

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    I'm a Ho'.....
    Cool, I will hit you up after lunch Jeff. Thanks!