Launching and retrieving Parker 2120 solo at shelter island with a roller trailer

islandhooker

Fish whisperer
Jun 29, 2007
ca
Name
chris
Boat
Trophy center console
Hello. I recently purchased a Parker 2120 and it has a roller trailer. My previous boat was on bunks so solo launch was easy.
shelter island launch ramp does not have a dock on the side of the ramp. Can anyone explain how to launch and retrieve by myself. Thank you.

91FD3F19-A30F-4395-851B-23A6D1DFF065.jpeg

82B15CB0-1D0D-4C3E-9AB6-114CAD4B033D.jpeg

Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    I used to launch with rollers with no dock but I'd beach the bow of the boat, grab the trailer, clip the strap to the bow eye and then just hand crank the boat up the rollers. It's really easy with the rollers but I don't know if you can beach your boat anywhere to do that that with the concrete.

If that's the case my suggestion would be to put the trailer in the water and run the strap to place you can easily grab it. Drive the boat on the rollers to about where it you want it and keep the engine going at a speed that keeps it in place. Attached the strap to the bow eye, lock the crank. Turn the engine off and crank the boat up the rest of the way.

PS DO NOT FORGET RATCHET STRAPS ON THE BACK OF THE BOAT WHEN ON A ROLLER TRAILER.

Upvote 0

downtime

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 12, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Ronson
    Boat
    26 Skipjack "Reel Hard"
    I am trying to figure out why it would be different.
    Maybe because when I launch I climb over the bow into the bed of the truck to do the attaching and releasing of the boat.
    All I know about those roller trailers is always have the strap and safety chain attached until your ready to pull off the trailer.…seen to many boats sitting on the ramp high and dry with a roller trailer being the culprit. This being said I have also seen regular bunk trailers in this situation.
    good luck! interested in hearing why it’s different.

Reactions: Jurel Hunter
    Upvote 0
    Jun 10, 2004
    Jamul
    Name
    used to fish
    Boat
    17 Aquasport
    I'm with downtime, I fish alone and launch alone by climbing over the bow rail. I have done that with many boats always the same way, why is it any different with the roller trailer? Most boats I can keep my feet dry by climbing over the wheel well drop the tailgate and stand on the trailer tongue while unrealing the boat a little. I then jump in, start the motor and let it warm up. then jump back over disconnect it, push off and jump back in to drive to the dock.

Reactions: Jurel Hunter
    Upvote 0

Jurel Hunter

We need to talk about your fishing reports.
  • Mar 11, 2007
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    FV Soldandgone
    bring a friend first time to be sure. but it should be no diff so long as u have trailer in water right amount. for me, rule of thumb was when rear truck tires touched edge of water, trailer was rite spot. always brought boat on slowly, hopped off, and pulled on rest of way w winch. nvr drive up trailer n slam it in or push up w engine. same w launch. dont unlock n unwind winch at bow until in water. once u doit should gently slide off w little push and help from engine. but it should never go sliding back n splash- trailer not in far enough.

what u do need to watch for at si ramp is tide surges can pull boat left right. combine that w wind pressure on a walk around and or limited reverse steering with single ob on bracket n it can be tricky at times.

Upvote 0

islandhooker

Fish whisperer
    Jun 29, 2007
    ca
    Name
    chris
    Boat
    Trophy center console
    Thanks guys. I guess I will give it a try on Sunday. My wife will be with me but I would like to try it myself first.

Upvote 0

Fearlessfiasco

Loco Leftist...
    Jun 5, 2012
    La Mesa
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Sea Pro 170DC
    Thanks guys. I guess I will give it a try on Sunday. My wife will be with me but I would like to try it myself first.

Just have your wife stand aside with the phone recording your efforts. You'll get it figured out in no time.

Also, make sure she posts this video for when it all goes wrong for community critique and future help!

Upvote 0

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 12, 2006
    Glendora Ca
    Name
    Leon
    Boat
    28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
    Get a ladder for the front of the trailer that allow easy access to the front of the boat, back in to where the boat will power off the trailer, unhook winch strap and safety chain, up the ladder, power off, leave boat at dock, reverse what you did earlier when you get back.
    Bunk or roller trailer does not matter when the boat is in the water and you unhook the chain and strap.
    My buddy load and unload that boat by himself many times.
    IMG_0335.JPG

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

El Taco

Almost A Member
    May 11, 2014
    Name
    Gabriel
    Boat
    Almost
    Go to south shores boat ramp, great place to practice away from everyone "all the professionals"🤣. Easy parking and long docks on both sides. Started there when I first got a boat and honestly still go, only down side is a longer ride out but to me I'm always in a good mood when on the boat so🤷🏽‍♂️. Good luck and be safe, take your time.

Upvote 0

nefarious235

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Aug 1, 2008
    Proudly American
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    canoe & plastic flotsam
    I built this for solo launching. By the time the rear floats enough, the bow has slid out and down a little. Before launching, I back off the strap 10 cranks and up hook it boarding.
    Screenshot_20211017-150742_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: HookEmDanO
    Upvote 0