Late squid bite at the Nine Mile

wsbkiller

Aug 29, 2009
Imperial Beach, Ca. USA
Name
Kevin
Boat
Sometimes
The squid at the Nine Mile Bank were a bit finicky last night, and we used every trick in the book on them...deep and shallow jigging, slow retrieve, drop n' jig, chum, slow troll, you name it. We had one squid in the boat as of 10:00 pm, with the kids (and dads) starting to get restless. Then it starts to rain...hard. All of the sudden the stern rods all go bendo at the same time, and the whole boat goes WFO in the pouring rain. I wish I'd gotten some video of this one...it was pretty crazy. We put enough squid on the deck in short order to tire everyone out, and headed back in about 11:00 in a steady rain that was still falling when we hit the slip.

The storm wasn't really that bad. The swell from the west was almost non-existent, so the wind provided the only wave action at 2-3 ft. Aside from the rain, not really a bad night for fishing. I'm not sure what's going on with the squid as far as the timing of the bite, but they are still around the Nine Mile in large numbers, but biting late for some unknown reason. Saw a bunch of baby Humboldts cruising at the surface, which I have not seen before in California waters. The bite we got into at 10:00 went WFO and brought the sharks around the boat in short order, and we left them (and the squid) biting.

These fine young gentlemen stuck it out for a late WFO squid bite in the pouring rain at the Nine Mile Bank.

Kevin J. Carlson
The Long Run Sportfishing
Marina Cortez at Harbor Island
San Diego, California
Cell: 760-987-5140

ambush1

Swagger Lures,
Jul 24, 2006
lakewood
Name
brett bumz
Boat
23' Seaswirl Cuddy Cabin BUM N OUT
good to see the kids are troopers

wolfman

wolfman
Aug 7, 2004
c-bad
Name
larry holems
Boat
9/6 longboard
thats pretty awesome i want to take my kids looks like they are having fun.

GOAT15

Jul 12, 2008
Point Loma, San Diego
Name
Brando
Boat
28 Parker LADY LUCK, 25ft parker CC, 35 Cabo flybridge,Ranger 85
Kevin my guys canceled last min. Sorry didn't see you out their, glad you found them! way to keep trying, bet those kids where stoked!!!

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Squid fishing and kids go hand in hand