Advertiser
Advertiser
Jul 23, 2012
San Diego, CA USA
Name
Matt
Boat
N/A
This report covers a 1.5 day trip on the Pescador out of Redondo Beach. The boat left on Saturday 11/21. We grey light to sundown Sunday fishing the northeast side. After boarding a decision had to be made to fish the island or Tanner Bank. Given the difficulty of the bit on Tanner and the wind picking up, we decided for YT at the island. Fishing was slow (water temp dropped 5 deg-F from the prior day) but there were definitely signs of life with bonito, barracuda and yellowtail. The few YT we caught were around 15-20+ lbs, but they were not biting well. A few rockfish, bonito, halibut and sheaphead rounded out the mix. All of the YT were caught on good quality flylined sardines.

I’m going to keep this report short on the fishing since it was basically a slow bite due to the sudden drop in water temp and instead post some pictures of what it looks like underwater. After years of accumulating rods and reels, and realizing I just don’t need more of them, I bought a couple of under water cameras to justify spending more money on fishing. It comes from a company called GoFishCam and can be found on Amazon. I am not affiliated with them in any way, but I have found their product to work well and couldn’t find a similarly suited one from GoPro.

*** Saturday ***
Left at about 7 PM with a load of 10 people, picked up bait at the received and headed out. Good quality bait and more than enough for 10 people. Temperatures were cool but the seas were calm. The boat tried to make squid, but wasn’t very successful due to the sea lions. A short 4-5 hour trip to Santa Barbara Island, dropping of the anchor on the East side made for good sleeping.

*** Sunday ***
Woke up Sunday morning and fished grey light. Some action on barracuda and one guy caught a spider crab on some fresh dead squid another customer brought on board. YT were not showing up so we left that spot and head north along the east side of the island. Weather was good Sunday with winds out of the WNW at 5-10 knots max. Clear and sunny skies, waves 1 – 2’.

There were some signs of fish as we moved from spot to spot, and a few boiling YT. But, they were either (1) not very present or (2) not biting well. It took lots of time and effort to catch the few that we did. Given the amount of bait thrown, I think we all thought the YT just weren’t very present. With people dropping down to 15 lb test and size 2 hooks, there were still few bites.

However, the fish cam footage told us a different story. I’ve posted some of the pictures below. Basically the bottom had a good number of YT and there were YT in the middle of the water column eyeing my sardine as it dropped into the zone. But, they would not bite. I think if we knew the bottom is where the YT were cruising, we all would have been using yo-yo’s and dropper loops. But, given the big drop in water temp, the fish had lockjaw and I doubt we would have caught that many. Anyway, the moral of the story is that there’s a lot happening below the surface we don’t know about.

Sunday night, we looked at the footage and just blown away on how clear the water was and how many fish were around, but not biting. I had a one video of a sheaphead coming in to eat a dropper looped sardine. The Sardine pretty much exploded in the mouth of the sheaphead – just disintegrated instantaneously. Unfortunately, the video was very shaky so I didn’t post it here. Also, saw many calico’s and other rockfish take in a sardine and just hold it in their mouth. I never even knew I was bit. Got one good video of a hooked halibut. Out of three I hooked into, I landed only one. I’ll say this, I got bit on the bottom more times than I knew about and it’s pretty cool to see fish behavior – kind of gives you a different perspective on how often you get bit and don’t know it, different hook sizes you might use, et…

A couple of things I learned or can point out…
There’s so much more going on beneath the surface we don’t know about.

*** Bait ***
5-6” sardines. Nicely cured.

*** Weather ***
Seas 1- 2 feet. Sunny, 70 deg-F. Winds WNW at 5-10 knots max.

*** Grade of Fish ***
YT: 15-20+ lbs
Sheaphead: 5 – 12 lbs
Bonito: 2 lbs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----- OTHER NOTES ------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Crew, Captain and Passengers: Nice group of guys and a good crew. I’d fish the boat again sometime.

**** My Gear *****
- 20 lb: Super Seeker 270H + Trinidad 14A (30 lb spectra + 20 and 25 lb. Izor XXX mono topshot)
I caught the majority of my fish on this.

- 30 lb: CalStar 800ML + Seagate 30H (40 lb spectra + 30 lb Izor XXX mono)
I caught one fish on this. Prefer to fish as light as I can.

- 80 lb: Seeker Hercules SHS70H-7 + Accurate DPX2-500 (65 lb spectra + 80 lb JAK wind-on)
Didn’t use it.

- 100 lb: super seeker CTSF 63XXH, Penn Int. 20T 2 speed Cal Sheets converted
Used it to drop flat falls Saturday night. No luck.

**** Knots ****
Bimini to worm knot for all spectra-to-mono connections.
Loop-to-loop connection for all bimini / wind-on connections.
Spangler knot for all line-to-hook knots.

Good luck out there. There’s lot of fish around.

YouTube Video

Export 0020a.png

Export 0120.png

Export 0130.png

Export 0140.png

Export 0280.png

Export 0290.png

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    That was awesome crazy to see that yellow down on the bottom too make some more in the future I always wanted to see things from that perspective thank you !

Upvote 0

jrodda

Your Ad Here!
    Sep 8, 2012
    United States
    Name
    Jeremy Rodda
    Boat
    15' Saturn SK470XL "Mosquito"
    Very cool. How deep was the water? Looks like prime conditions to shoot that video. Although a little scary to send the camera into those piles, hope you were using a breakaway leader past the camera or something. I wanna get one now.

Upvote 0

Tautog_17

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Jul 23, 2012
    San Diego, CA USA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    N/A
    Very cool. How deep was the water? Looks like prime conditions to shoot that video. Although a little scary to send the camera into those piles, hope you were using a breakaway leader past the camera or something. I wanna get one now.

About 120 feet in most places. Yeah, I tied a two turn improved clinch knot in lighter line on the sinker to make sure I got the camera back. Lost 3 sinkers though.

Upvote 0

HUTLOC

Almost A Member
    Mar 17, 2008
    MALIBU
    Name
    JAMIE
    Boat
    WOOLEY
    This report covers a 1.5 day trip on the Pescador out of Redondo Beach. The boat left on Saturday 11/21. We grey light to sundown Sunday fishing the northeast side. After boarding a decision had to be made to fish the island or Tanner Bank. Given the difficulty of the bit on Tanner and the wind picking up, we decided for YT at the island. Fishing was slow (water temp dropped 5 deg-F from the prior day) but there were definitely signs of life with bonito, barracuda and yellowtail. The few YT we caught were around 15-20+ lbs, but they were not biting well. A few rockfish, bonito, halibut and sheaphead rounded out the mix. All of the YT were caught on good quality flylined sardines.

I’m going to keep this report short on the fishing since it was basically a slow bite due to the sudden drop in water temp and instead post some pictures of what it looks like underwater. After years of accumulating rods and reels, and realizing I just don’t need more of them, I bought a couple of under water cameras to justify spending more money on fishing. It comes from a company called GoFishCam and can be found on Amazon. I am not affiliated with them in any way, but I have found their product to work well and couldn’t find a similarly suited one from GoPro.

*** Saturday ***
    Left at about 7 PM with a load of 10 people, picked up bait at the received and headed out. Good quality bait and more than enough for 10 people. Temperatures were cool but the seas were calm. The boat tried to make squid, but wasn’t very successful due to the sea lions. A short 4-5 hour trip to Santa Barbara Island, dropping of the anchor on the East side made for good sleeping.

*** Sunday ***
    Woke up Sunday morning and fished grey light. Some action on barracuda and one guy caught a spider crab on some fresh dead squid another customer brought on board. YT were not showing up so we left that spot and head north along the east side of the island. Weather was good Sunday with winds out of the WNW at 5-10 knots max. Clear and sunny skies, waves 1 – 2’.

There were some signs of fish as we moved from spot to spot, and a few boiling YT. But, they were either (1) not very present or (2) not biting well. It took lots of time and effort to catch the few that we did. Given the amount of bait thrown, I think we all thought the YT just weren’t very present. With people dropping down to 15 lb test and size 2 hooks, there were still few bites.

However, the fish cam footage told us a different story. I’ve posted some of the pictures below. Basically the bottom had a good number of YT and there were YT in the middle of the water column eyeing my sardine as it dropped into the zone. But, they would not bite. I think if we knew the bottom is where the YT were cruising, we all would have been using yo-yo’s and dropper loops. But, given the big drop in water temp, the fish had lockjaw and I doubt we would have caught that many. Anyway, the moral of the story is that there’s a lot happening below the surface we don’t know about.

Sunday night, we looked at the footage and just blown away on how clear the water was and how many fish were around, but not biting. I had a one video of a sheaphead coming in to eat a dropper looped sardine. The Sardine pretty much exploded in the mouth of the sheaphead – just disintegrated instantaneously. Unfortunately, the video was very shaky so I didn’t post it here. Also, saw many calico’s and other rockfish take in a sardine and just hold it in their mouth. I never even knew I was bit. Got one good video of a hooked halibut. Out of three I hooked into, I landed only one. I’ll say this, I got bit on the bottom more times than I knew about and it’s pretty cool to see fish behavior – kind of gives you a different perspective on how often you get bit and don’t know it, different hook sizes you might use, et…

A couple of things I learned or can point out…
    There’s so much more going on beneath the surface we don’t know about.

*** Bait ***
    5-6” sardines. Nicely cured.

*** Weather ***
    Seas 1- 2 feet. Sunny, 70 deg-F. Winds WNW at 5-10 knots max.

*** Grade of Fish ***
    YT: 15-20+ lbs
    Sheaphead: 5 – 12 lbs
    Bonito: 2 lbs

----- OTHER NOTES ------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Crew, Captain and Passengers: Nice group of guys and a good crew. I’d fish the boat again sometime.

**** My Gear *****
    - 20 lb: Super Seeker 270H + Trinidad 14A (30 lb spectra + 20 and 25 lb. Izor XXX mono topshot)
    I caught the majority of my fish on this.

- 30 lb: CalStar 800ML + Seagate 30H (40 lb spectra + 30 lb Izor XXX mono)
    I caught one fish on this. Prefer to fish as light as I can.

- 80 lb: Seeker Hercules SHS70H-7 + Accurate DPX2-500 (65 lb spectra + 80 lb JAK wind-on)
    Didn’t use it.

- 100 lb: super seeker CTSF 63XXH, Penn Int. 20T 2 speed Cal Sheets converted
    Used it to drop flat falls Saturday night. No luck.

**** Knots ****
    Bimini to worm knot for all spectra-to-mono connections.
    Loop-to-loop connection for all bimini / wind-on connections.
    Spangler knot for all line-to-hook knots.

Good luck out there. There’s lot of fish around.

YouTube Video

View attachment 1228012

View attachment 1228013

View attachment 1228014

View attachment 1228015

View attachment 1228016

View attachment 1228017
    1;10 sec white seabass in the back of the rock?

Upvote 0

swavings

• May 30, 2012
    Newbury Park, CA
    Name
    Scott Swaving
    Boat
    Cobia
    Awesome video. Thanks for sharing. Not sure if you care, but the last scene of the video, thirty fathoms is spelled wrong. Such a cool video, not sure if you can fix or edit.

Reactions: Tautog_17
    Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
    Feb 23, 2012
    la mesa, ca
    Name
    Russell
    Boat
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    Interesting how the fish are there... just not biting.

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    We hooked up two 35+ lb yellowtail in SBI a few weeks ago. They are definitely down there. I was a lot more surprised by the bonito chasing the bait as it headed down. We caught ZERO bonito in the island. We preferred that because we got tired of the bonitos in Catalina and headed over to SBI to avoid them.

Upvote 0

Wasitrytofish

May 1, 2012
    Monrovia ca united states
    Name
    Glen Mitchell
    Boat
    Sea Fox 248 Commander
    headed there in the AM.
    great tide swing and good weather tomorrow.
    this video has me all giddy
    thanks for sharing.
    super cool to have this video and parlay your fish finder into the video. then you could learn fish identification even better.
    there’s nothing like marking fosh and catching the fish you “think” you marked.

Upvote 0