JROLAND

"Wings of Lightning"
Jun 22, 2009
Haleiwa, Hawaii
Name
JOE ROLAND
Boat
"007" Pursuit 2870 Offshore
Sorry for the late report, I had to head out to Colorado Monday and check in on my Apache Pilots. Should have stayed here; (17 degrees and lots of snow in Colorado Springs). Left Haliewa harbor at 0500 grabbed some Opelu and made a beeline for the II (looked like it was going to get snotty early). Lots of birds and bait aound, have a 7" lure spread out but decide to put a 3" naked cedar plug out on the center to see if we can at least grab an AKU, it gets nailed first pass (no aku, its a Mahi). Make another pass and the shibi takes the same lure (not bad for 3 inches of wood). Next pass the small bull hits the blue/pink fish head lure. Couple more passes no strikes so we setup with the live bait. We go 3/4 on the live bait, my fault on the missed fish tried to just rip him into the box and ended up pulling the hook. Great day overall, in by 1130 with plenty of fish for friends and family.

v/r Joe

Attachments

Pupule

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
Terrific job on the short run, Joe. Nice fish!

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Joe and crew,
Banner day for sure... I do have a couple of cedar plugs, those things worked great on the East Coast. Glad to see you caught fish using a couple of different techniques. Way to GO!!!

Pat

JROLAND

"Wings of Lightning"
Jun 22, 2009
Haleiwa, Hawaii
Name
JOE ROLAND
Boat
"007" Pursuit 2870 Offshore
Terrific job on the short run, Joe. Nice fish!
Thanks, it's nice getting home in time to cook what you caught and catch some of the games.
v/r Joe

Joe and crew,
Banner day for sure... I do have a couple of cedar plugs, those things worked great on the East Coast. Glad to see you caught fish using a couple of different techniques. Way to GO!!!

Pat
Pat, the cedars have worked good this year, I've got the harness all ready to go just need a gorilla like yours to test it out. Had an old fish head lure from Florida and it seemed to do the trick.
v/r Joe

Nice going on those mahis,
Tight lines,
Thanks.
v/r Joe

Joe,
Way to go on those mahis and the shibi! Pretty nice haul for a short day on the water.
Thanks Russ. Rusty got there an hour after we arrived looked like he grabbed a shibi in the 40+ range.
v/r Joe

great report thanks for the info!
Thanks brother. Depending on my schedule might be able to get you and your buddy out before I head over to Afghanistan.
v/r Joe

Nice job working the buoy. The extra effort put into catching those live opelu paid off.

Jonny
Thanks Johnny, Catching those buggers is well worth the time and the pain in ass and fingers the Sabikis bring to the table. My boys want to try and catch some flying fish at night using the lights, still researching that process.

v/r Joe