Late Report... Maiden Voyage/First BD Report on my new Glasspar!

Sea Warrior

Jun 9, 2012
United States
Name
Brendan Murphy
Boat
16' Glasspar Avalon
Whats up Everyone... This is a report from last Wednesday. I'm still sorta new to this site and figured I should drop my first report! Heading out again tomorrow.. hope to do just as good if not better!

Super stoked to finally be able to post on this page with reports from my new boat I got into a couple months back. She's a 16' 1964 Glasspar Avalon (still nameless) and I finally got all the necessary safety equipment (fish finder, radio etc.) to take her out into the ocean. We launched out of Davies in Long Beach and motored down to the HB flats for a slow but steady pick of sand bass with a few macs thrown in. On the way back into the harbor I was able to land an ok sized Halibut. We used 3" Big Hammers with strips of squid. We both got broken off on a few BIG strikes while at the flats. Felt like Halibut but we'll never know.

Tons of fun.. looking forward to getting back out there ASAP! If any one has some good intel on any other local spots please let me know. I did find a ton of GPS coordinates that I need to figure out how to input into my GPS/Fish Finder.

Below are a few pics as well as a video. And yes, we're a little too excited about a small bass. Cant wait for some big fish!

Thanks for reading!

My buddy and the best bass of the day.

Me with the smallest bass of the day.

Me with the halibut.

My buddy trying out the new boat on the way back.

kindafishy

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
that boat is clean! congrats!

Andrey320

May 8, 2013
Calabasas
Name
Andrey
Boat
Boston Whaler Dauntless 15
Looks like an awesome day on the water. Nothing like taking your boat out into the ocean. Congrats!
Make sure your safety list includes all the required USCG items, a good anchor "system" and a reliable way of communicating (preferably a mounted VHF with DSC and a good antenna plus a handheld backup with DSC as well).

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
Cool boat! Speaking of "bat mobile windshields" there is a guy I see in Avalon that has a tender called the "Aqua Bat". This thing has tail fins, painted black and aqua blue polished to a high shine and looks like the Bat Mobile. I don't know if it is a Glaspar, but it is definitely tricked out and stylin' the Island!

Paddyman1

A mossback is better than a hairy back
Nov 7, 2010
La Costa Izquierda
Name
Steve
Boat
N/A
That boat is vintage beauty!
VHF with a tall antenna is what I recommend. Last time I checked fish finders weren't listed as safety equipment! :D