thomasfishing

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 3, 2006
westminster
Name
Thomas
Boat
1851 seaswirl striper WA & 2601 Striper
Better late then never. Brother in law and I had some free time and decided to fish and hoop. We left around noon in flat calm conditions. Since we left early we decided to bait up our hoops with frozen mackeral from the previous trip and do an early drop. We drop all 10 nets. Since it was so calm, I was able to drop over 100 ft plus over structure without losing my nets to it. After we finished dropping all our nets, we decided to shoot over to the 150. We used colt sniper and a couple of shrimp teasers on top. Started to meter around and found some huge marks near the bottom. I could of sworn they were yellowtail but never got any to bite. Again since it was so calm we were able to stay on a nice drift for some taco meat. We caught a bunch of rockfish including a red about 5lbs. Needless to say, we did good on the rockfish. By now it about close to 4 and decided to pull and rebait as the nets has been soaking for over 3 hrs. The first net we pulled have about 4 to 5 stone crabs. These were large clean looking stone crabs. Subsequently every net had few with a couple large spider crab thrown in. All in all over 20 crabs in the first set. Redropped and gave it a good 45 mins soaked only for a few more crabs. No lobster. Not even a short. So weird as we got them before. By then it was so cold that we decided the crabs were good. Honestly I was just glad that I didn't lose any nets as I have before at Izors.
IMG_9431.jpg

IMG_9435.jpg

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    From what I have read recently, the lobs have been crawling a bit later.

When I was a kid, my dad and uncle had their boat berthed in Wilmington (by the bridges and the old Red Witch Inn) in the early 70s. There was an older couple in a sailboat who used to catch rock crabs off the dock with a pyramid trap. I made the profound mistake of asking them to cook one up for me. God-awful. That harbor was SO polluted back then!
    barf

I'm sure crabs caught at Izors would be fine. I just can't get past the PTSD from my childhood!
    :D

Upvote 0

THE GRAYS

Oct 20, 2006
    Redlands
    Name
    The Grays
    Boat
    2021 Parker 2320
    Sounds like you were hooping during the day, we have only tried at night and have never gotten crabs. We will have to give it a try. Thanks for the report.

Upvote 0

Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 28, 2015
    California
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    N/A
    Crabs crawl both during the day and at night. But they go more shallow at night. Lobsters crawl primarily at night.

Upvote 0